Hard Disk Replacement

fisherd3

My PC has two front mounted hard disks in caddies, 40gb Maxtors one went toes up and I have received an 80gb Maxtor as a replacement. This disk did not contain any system info as system ran OK with it removed, I have loaded the new disk in the caddy and installed it in the PC.

In Device manager it is there properly identified 'This device is working properly' but in 'My Computer' I still have only the other disk information i.e. 40gb so it seems to me the new disk is not effectively in the system.

On the new disk there was a diagram giving 3 positions for a jumper one of which was 'if used as a slave device' which it seems to me it is, as I could not find the jumper I loaded it anyway, as I was told it would work this way.

Any suggestions as to how to get this disk up and running, is it the jumper?

Thanking you in anticipation of your kind assistance.

When your computer is first booting and it says "Hit <del> to run setup, do it. In your CMOS setup, set it to "Auto detect hard disk", "Save Settings & Exit" then see if it recognizes the disk properly.

Is this disk your master or slave?

cv

When your computer is first booting and it says "Hit <del> to run setup, do it. In your CMOS setup, set it to "Auto detect hard disk", "Save Settings & Exit" then see if it recognizes the disk properly.

Is this disk your master or slave?

cv

I believe the disk is his "D:" drive and is a slave. He says his system started OK without it - or without his faulty disk. I wonder if his disk is set up for "Cable select" or "Slave"? If it's set as Master, I don't know whether his system would just ignore it, or not start at all.

He really should try to find that jumper if what you have said fails to fix the problem. They can be extremely small :o

I agree that you should get that jumper set properly.

Just go to the website of the HD Mfr and search around for the specs on your device. They will have a manual or other way to see how to set the jumper for Master or Slave.

Maxtor hard drives come unformatted most of the time.

This means your computer (bios) will see them but not your windows.

If you have windows xp or win2000 this is easy to solve.

Right click on the My Computer icon and choose manage.

In the appeared window you choose disk management (under storage)

You will then see all the drives present in your pc. Disk 0 is your first hard drive which should hold your system and if all is well you will see a disk 1 which is unformatted.

Right click on the unformatted drive and choose format.

This should do the trick.

Cheers,

Monty

hi'

my 2cts here ...

new disk ...

any new disk should be formatted and partitionned, then recognized by the bios and then used on OS.

so in order after insert the new hdd as slave.

boot from floppy

fdisk.partition it

reboot

fdisk.format it.

reboot

bios

reboot and use it.

francois

Hi Francois,

100% right if you're using win95, win98 or winMe.

With win2000 and winXP it's just more convenient to do it from the storage management utility. It's also a lot faster compared to using the fdisk command under dos.

Nowadays hardly anybody knows dos or dos commands, you can't even make yourself a startup floppy anymore using win2000 or winXP.

I usually carry a bootable winMe cd with me, this does the trick if i have to get something done under dos, and a cd is more reliable then these old floppy's!!!

Cheers,

Monty

P.S. A bootable knoppix cd got me experimenting with linux and got me interested enough to convert my pc to a dual bootable system!

I chose the Suse version (don't ask why :o )

Lots of stuff to learn, but people for sure don't have excuses anymore to try out Linux, installation was as easy as any widows setup...

hi'

I do agree with you :D

you're right, knowledge is going away ... :o

cd's more practical than floppy .. no doubt about this, but you know habits .. :D

A bootable knoppix cd got me experimenting with linux and got me interested enough to convert my pc to a dual bootable system!

I chose the Suse version (don't ask why smile.gif )

this is a good news, and a good choice, one of the most advanced and stable distro :D

just tried the 9.2 pro, very nice piece of work :D

cheers

francois

How do I make one of these bootable CD's

I always used to have my bootable floppy.

But now no floppy is on my laptop.

If I fail to boot one day, I sure would like a backup

way to boot.

It is probably very easy to make ........ how ??

Thanks

How do I make one of these bootable CD's

I always used to have my bootable floppy.

But now no floppy is on my laptop.

If I fail to boot one day, I sure would like a backup

way to boot.

It is probably very easy to make ........ how ??

Thanks

You can either burn, or have burned onto a cd-rom, the info off a boot disk for your operating system. For it to work you must have your cd-rom set to boot before your hard disk. This is done in the CMOS setup. (hit <del> when prompted during the memory test). Having this done won't prevent a normal boot, the system will just look for a bootable disk in the cd-rom before it looks at the HD. For this reason don't keep your emergency disk in the drive.

Should you fail to boot, insert the cd-rom and it will work same as a floppy.

cv

Never made a bootable cd myself, just got hold of a panthip bootable WinMe version (I know, bad boy :o )

cdnvic is right, most of the times the bios will try to boot from floppy first and secondly from hard drive.

You'll have to set the first boot drive to the cd-rom drive.

Enter bios set up with either hitting del or F2 during boot (depends on mainboard).

look around(without changing stuff :D ) untill you come across the boot sequence. Make the first boot drive cd-rom, second hard drive and everything will be OK :D

Can leave it like that afterwards, even if you happen to have a bootable cd inside, you will always be given the choice to boot from cd or hard drive...

Edited by monty

I think I can set the boot drive sequence in the Bios ok.

But I cannot seem to find a place to create the startup code/disc.

It used to be ..... right click on the Floppy Icon/Format/Create Boot Disc.

But that does not work on my Win XP system.

Anyone else created a backup boot CD ?? How ??

Thanks

HI all

this is what i use for 98% of 98 stuff, so a search on how to make a bootable flopy in 98, and make one , do a search for these files and drag them ovet to the floppy you have just made, you may need to enable, (view all system and os files) in 98, I havent a 98 machine to hand but if you open any window say my docs and in the top task bar it might say tools folder options and go to it and then look for view there will be a section that says show all files or similar to this, enable this, now do a search for these files in windows, usually the system folder subfolder,

ansi

chkdsk

diskcopy

edit

fdisk

format

key

keyb

keyboard

keybrd 2 3 4

mscdex

once you find them or some should be on your floppy anyway after making it (they will be blue in colour like ms dos files,

copy them onto your floppy, not shortcuts but copys and hey presto that you armed for almost any 98 prob,

in your bios, you should never tweak anything other than you know, and it should always be passworded

boot to floppy (if you use nero and have a floppy already made, use nero to create a bootable cd rom which will emulate as a floppy, you can get files etc from net for any other type or bootable floppy)

use fdisk = type fdisk and follow on screen prompts, you wish to create primary partition with all drive and make it active, this will give it a drive letter, once complete restart your machine and type in

the format command to format that new drive, from the floppy, this can take a bit of time, so if your new drive is lettered F:\ YOUR NEW DRIVE, use the prompt

format f: /u this will do an unconditional format on your drive, its been a while so I would need to check the syntax, and not f: /s which will load certain system files,

and thats you, and remember its only easy if you know the answer, have a goo done

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to make a bootable cd in WinXP.

Nero 6 has an option to create a bootable cd, but it still needs a bootable floppy to copy the files off!

When Microsoft went to XP they seemed to think nobody needs a resque start-up floppy/cd anymore...

Trying to get hold of a bootable cd (WinMe or Win98) seems to be your best bet!

Otherwise you would need to get hold of a pc with floppy drive, a bootable floppy and then burn a cd with the help from Nero...

There are a couple of software packages (Norton sprins to mind) who allow you to make "resque" disks, but they all seem to need floppy's :o