Why Do Some Ex Pats Defend Thailand At All Costs

bangkokrick

Oh geez! The world is not black and white and neither is Thailand. Paradise on earth does not exist. Most of us who are rational and not on poppy seeds like SOME things about Thailand, and dislike OTHER things, just like anywhere we might choose to live.

As do most people. The difference is that there are the people with the negative attitude who choose to be miserable and moan all the time about the things they don't like. And there are the happy people with the positive attitude who choose not to dwell on the things they dislike and instead post nice things about the aspects they do like and enjoy.

Big difference, It really is much better in life to have a positive attitude, you will be much happier as a result as well.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about like everything else. I am partial to certain brands and get irritated when someone who obviously doesn't know anything about what I have tells me they are no good. I have a Yanmar tractor, a Suzuki motorbike, a Ford car and a Nissan truck. I am obviously quite happy with all of them or I would buy another brand. I live in Thailand and when someone bashes Thailand, I feel that they are trying to tell me that I know nothing and that I am stupid.

I have had three Toyota trucks. The first one was great, the second was just OK and the third one was a lemon. That doesn't make Toyota bad but I don't want another one. It all depends on you experiences.

Oh geez! The world is not black and white and neither is Thailand. Paradise on earth does not exist. Most of us who are rational and not on poppy seeds like SOME things about Thailand, and dislike OTHER things, just like anywhere we might choose to live.

As do most people. The difference is that there are the people with the negative attitude who choose to be miserable and moan all the time about the things they don't like. And there are the happy people with the positive attitude who choose not to dwell on the things they dislike and instead post nice things about the aspects they do like and enjoy.

Big difference, It really is much better in life to have a positive attitude, you will be much happier as a result as well.

I have to agree.

As a Thai resident, there are things I don't like about Thailand: Bangkok traffic, Thai drivers, lengthy traffic lights, the lack of a good burger, censored television, my condo's dinky kitchen, the hassle of getting and renewing a work permit, habitual tardiness--the list goes on.

But as a Thai resident, there are things I love: my friends, the food, the places to see, the available activities, my lovelife, the ease of street food, one of my jobs, massage--this list goes on, too.

I find that I am quite happy here, and I would attribute that to the fact that I focus on what I like about Thailand rather than what I dislike.