Opportunities At International Schools In Chiang Mai

Just a thought for those of you looking to teach at an international school in Chiang Mai (I do, by the way). Now is a great time to check out their websites and see what vacancies they have. Most have already got vacancies published and will be adding more up until February or March next year (the final deadline for teachers to sign a new contract for the coming August, or end their contract).

In Chiang Mai the international schools are:

Lanna International School

Nakorn Payap International School

Chiang Mai International School

American Pacific International School

Prem Tinsulanonda International School

Grace International School

CDSC (German School)

I think i'm within forum rules by giving names of all of the International Schools, not just the one I teach at. I wish somebody had done this when I was first looking for a job here - it would have saved me playing the guess how many international schools there are in Chiang Mai game! Just google them if you want to hunt for a decent(ish) paid job...

Thanks. Do you happen to know if any of them need science teachers?
You can easily Google the websites (or look at the current thread on the Chiang Mai forum, or the pinned topic there) and see their specific requirements.

Thanks PeaceBlondie. I didn't know about Chiang Mai forum before.

• 3 weeks later...

do any international schools in chiang mai hire without being certified in your home country? i have several years teaching ex and a celta, but unfortunately am not certified in the US. i heard it is possible if you are in the right place at the right time, at least with the "second-tier" international schools paying around 60,000 - is this true?

Edited by qwunk89

do any international schools in chiang mai hire without being certified in your home country? i have several years teaching ex and a celta, but unfortunately am not certified in the US. i heard it is possible if you are in the right place at the right time, at least with the "second-tier" international schools paying around 60,000 - is this true?
Their websites seem to say no. I know of a non-native speaker of English who teaches math at the Chiang Mai school that I consider second tier, and I understand he has no teaching degree. But he has been there long enough that the current hiring practice seems to be stricter.

The same school had a non-native ESL teacher, who may no longer be there. But CMai's international schools are now all accredited by Western agencies, I believe.

If you managed to get in (say because you were well recommended and it was late July and they just had a sudden opening), the CELTA and a few years of teaching English in Thailand would only qualify you for an ESL position, which are rare anyway. A master's in math or science, and experience teaching that at the right grade level, might work. Or, a bachelor in math or science and a PGCE.

But I am no expert. Good luck.