Phuket Second Highest Hiv Infection Rate In Thailand

george

Look HIV is NOT THAT EASY to get. Babies are born everyday, negative to HIV whereas MOM is positive. Fact is it is a blood borne disease . Fact is Anal sex is far more likely the culprit thatn vaginal sex because the rectal tissues are rubbed to the point of bleeding . Fact is : Men are having passive anal sex far more than women Fact is: Because thay are having passive anal sex more than any other group Straight, Gay Bi whatever, It's men passing it on..

Men are getting it more than any other group. If babies ain''t getting it from mom, men aint getting it either. THere's NO BLOod in vaginal sex. Even " Periods" contain little actual blood, it's really just lining from the uterus . Beside howios a penis exposed to it?

btw

I learned this is high school.

THis refusal to acknowledge this is why it's spreading . Good grief

Edited by HorseDoctor

PHUKET CITY: -- Phuket now ranks second among Thailand's 76 provinces in terms of HIV infection, with the large number of nightlife entertainment venues and the sex industry seen as the cause.

I would say the HIV prevention policy or let's say the lack thereof should be seen as the 'cause' rather than the 'number' of nightlife venues!

Thailand was once a leader in HIV prevention, airing an agressive awareness campaign that was

praised around the world and showed effect in reducing the initial HIV infection boom in the 90'ties.

The Taksin establishment turned back the clock, stating these anti-aids campaigns 'put Thailand in a bad spotlight'.

Moral preaching, "abstinence talk" and other proven counter productive 'Bush style approaches' are now starting to show their effect on the nationwide HIV infection numbers.

I couldn't agree with you more on most of this.

The Bush era will be noted for killing MANY people with it's myopic, 'religious-right sop'

of abstinence talk based prevention method. Ignorant BS...

Some of these radical nutters think anyone who gets it deserves it for being bad...

Have sex out of wedlock and die of a severe wasting disease. Gods will. Can't fight it.

Got what you deserveed.. etc etc.. UTTERLY foolish non-sense and thankfully those

idiot people no longer control the USA presidency.... (christianity per se is NOT the issue)

Abstinence didn't work in the USA, I can't imagine it working in the second or third worlds...

Add to that Thaksin's face before logic nationalistic approach.

Can't let Thailand be seen in a bad light, as if AIDS the disease, cares about Thailand's world image.

As if an infected and dieing person cares a wit about the public image in China or UK or USA.

They would care about not being told what they did was going to kill them,

and care they were NOT told how to prevent this happening.

As to the number of night life areas.

They are a two edged issue:

Yes, they will spread more infections, just by their nature.

BUT they also can be the focal point for INTENSIFIED education

and FREE on site testing. With discrete contact with results afterwards

via cellphone etc. It can be a locus for education and raising safety standards,

just because it is so localized.

Harder to deal with is the many little bambo kareoki brothels or pick up stands.

Little outside world connectivity, but easy dissemination to the rest of the world.

And of course the massage world, some of which is not just theraputic...

Little mom 'n' pop, or is the pop 'n' pop gay massages need to be targeted

for serious education and free condoms and not make it seem threatening to take part.

A core of workers with cool attitude on motorcycles blanketing areas,

might help that situation, but it's very wide spread.

But the will for this is weak.... it seems.

Edited by animatic

Well.... A year ago or so, US and Thailand was in a big dispute with their tradeagreement. US wanted to cancel due Thailands import of Generic drugs as as well as illegal copies of music, clothes, etc.

The US chamber of commerce, put out full page adverts in most of the leading papers, explaining that they can´t support a country that acts that way.

Can't remember reading a single "full page advert" in the two papers I read each day....SF Chronicle and SJ Mercury News....maybe you can provide a link?

Okay, so what do we do about it?

I see a lot of numbers and words and I feel a lot of emotions comin' from everyone in concern for themself.

BUT I AIN'T SEEIN' ANY OF YOU PROPOSING ANY SOLUTIONS FOR THE THAI PEOPLE!!!

If you are visiting this website, it is safe to guess that you either have lived, live, have visited or are visiting Thailand. Take the time to talk to anyone you meet and educate them. Contact your government representatives back in your native countries and tell them you don't feel their foreign HIV/AIDS policies are working. Threaten to stop paying taxes if you have to.

Bitching and moaning on a forum about HIV in others does not make it go away!

Have a nice day! :D

(Aside to HorsesAss: The women and babies of Africa especially will be happy to know that you've successfully cured them by aggressively touching your keyboard.) :o

So, since 1984, there are a total of 335,414 cases reported (presumably nationwide?).

I make that a percentage of the official population of Thailand (ballpark: 60 million) 0.56%, or less than 1%.

Furthermore, they say the ratio of male to female is 2:1, which means that 1/3 of those infected are NOT gay men (because not men).

Assuming that ALL the other cases are among gay men (NO straight men), then guessing at a generous 10% of the entire population being gay and about half being male, that's a ballpark figure of 3,000,000 gay guys. If the roughly 200,000 non-female cases are all in that group, then the maximum likely percentage infection in the entire gay population of Thailand (assuming no straight males are infected at all) is about 6.66%. Naturally, if ANY straight men are infected, that number would be lower.

And we're supposed to believe that other alarmist article that claimed that the infection rate among the gay populations of major cities were numbers like 30%, 25%, 20% (Phuket!)?

Shame on them, shame, shame.

"D"

Did george's article even mention gays at all? I didn't see any reference to homosexuality in my cursory read. So what's your beef with it?

The title is "Phuket Second Highest Hiv Infection Rate In Thailand." Ok, Pattaya probably takes the cake and then it's BKK and Phuket for either 2nd or 3rd. I don't think we need any stats to figure that one out.

The original post says 2nd only to RANONG ------ ??????

Okay, so what do we do about it?

I see a lot of numbers and words and I feel a lot of emotions comin' from everyone in concern for themself.

BUT I AIN'T SEEIN' ANY OF YOU PROPOSING ANY SOLUTIONS FOR THE THAI PEOPLE!!!

If you are visiting this website, it is safe to guess that you either have lived, live, have visited or are visiting Thailand. Take the time to talk to anyone you meet and educate them. Contact your government representatives back in your native countries and tell them you don't feel their foreign HIV/AIDS policies are working. Threaten to stop paying taxes if you have to.

Bitching and moaning on a forum about HIV in others does not make it go away!

Have a nice day! :D

(Aside to HorsesAss: The women and babies of Africa especially will be happy to know that you've successfully cured them by aggressively touching your keyboard.) :o

Well I'll quote myself.

i DID just list some suggestions.

I'll reiterate: Night life areas;

via cellphone etc. It can be a locus for education and raising safety standards,

Harder to deal with is the many little bambo kareoki brothels or pick up stands.

Little outside world connectivity, but easy dissemination to the rest of the world.

for serious education and free condoms and not make it seem threatening to take part.

Well I'll quote myself.

Apologies to Animatic as I missed your post and good ideas. :o

Well I'll quote myself.

Apologies to Animatic as I missed your post and good ideas. :o

No problem I know how these posts can seem to run on forever.

I was looking at it like;

If you can not get Mohamed to go to the mountain,

take the mountain TO Mohammed.

So some testing at the night life venues by trained personell,

but laid back and cool, non- threatening. Get the job done and

some life saving good info out there.

There are ways to do this, it HAS been done before here. Successfully.

Before false sense of saving face and nationalistic stupidity ended really working programs

there was a LOT of progress here, and it can happen again.

It used to be a model of 'how it was done'... a true success story.

Now just there is another generation lost, because the information stopped.

Condoms are easy to get here, but you must go face to face with

the sweet young ladsies at 7-11 or some dour grandma in a momnpop.

Some people seem to think they can read their minds, and so don't grab a box...

Most could care less if your tagging shetlands and sheep here.

Why are rubbers not dirty cheap at the pick up spots and 'nightlife venues'?

Why not condom vending machines SUBSIDIZED by the government at ALL

bars across the land. Anywhere some one gets drunk enough to be lazy

and say who cares tonight this one looks safe...

If only there was a will to do a global Thailand hammer down on all this now...

Edited by animatic

Notice how it's s men who are th largest group getting AIDS, you would think it would be women as they are more vulnerable , being recipients of semen.

This proves my suspicions - far more men are having sex with one another than is acknowleged.

Chances of AIDS beining transmitted vaginally to men, or women are slim and none. Whic his why lesbians have the lowest HIV rate of any group.

Do a little simple thinking and math , 1 lady services 2 men per day , that is 60 per month , multiply that by thousands of working ladies and this should give you why many more men are vulnerable even though they have less chance of catching it .

What high school was that you attended ?

So, since 1984, there are a total of 335,414 cases reported (presumably nationwide?).

I make that a percentage of the official population of Thailand (ballpark: 60 million) 0.56%, or less than 1%.

Furthermore, they say the ratio of male to female is 2:1, which means that 1/3 of those infected are NOT gay men (because not men).

Assuming that ALL the other cases are among gay men (NO straight men), then guessing at a generous 10% of the entire population being gay and about half being male, that's a ballpark figure of 3,000,000 gay guys. If the roughly 200,000 non-female cases are all in that group, then the maximum likely percentage infection in the entire gay population of Thailand (assuming no straight males are infected at all) is about 6.66%. Naturally, if ANY straight men are infected, that number would be lower.

And we're supposed to believe that other alarmist article that claimed that the infection rate among the gay populations of major cities were numbers like 30%, 25%, 20% (Phuket!)?

Shame on them, shame, shame.

"D"

Ijustwannateach:

this is a link from the CIA about Thailand: look under people - HIV/AIDS: (the estimates are from 2003 though)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th.../th.html#People

LaoPo

Thanks for the excellent link... Separating facts from fiction is often the challenge for understanding things Thai...

ds

:o

• 1 month later...

[

By profession, the most cases were among people who describe themselves as "workers for hire", followed by domestic workers, the unemployed, retail vendors, company workers, manual laborers and 'fisherfolk', respectively.

-- Phuket Gazette 2008-11-20

http://www.phuketgazette.com/dailynews/index.asp?id=6915

It's safer to go fishing...apparently :o