Internet Love

Swanky

I have a friend living in Thailand who is smitten with someone he met on one of these dating websites. They exchanged a few e-mails and pics and chat regularly. Anyway,they are madly 'in love' which to me is strange, I mean they have never met.

I told him to beware, I mean what would you do in this situation? Can this happen on the net when you become infatuated with someone? Not for me anyway but can a serious relationship develop like this? It's a bit like an LDR thing. I don't want to get involved but asking for some memebers' perceptions.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend living in Thailand who is smitten with someone he met on one of these dating websites. They exchanged a few e-mails and pics and chat regularly. Anyway,they are madly 'in love' which to me is strange, I mean they have never met.

I told him to beware, I mean what would you do in this situation? Can this happen on the net when you become infatuated with someone? Not for me anyway but can a serious relationship develop like this? It's a bit like an LDR thing. I don't want to get involved but asking for some memebers' perceptions.

You don't believe in it ? ok it's up to you, I met my wife on the net we fell in love and now we are happily married for 6 years now, any more questions?

You don't believe in it ? ok it's up to you, I met my wife on the net we fell in love and now we are happily married for 6 years now, any more questions?

My hand is up. Did you fall in love before you met?

I know of several couples who met online (who had never met), some worked out, some didnt, couple of them are happily married. Sure people can get hurt, can lie, etc etc, but that happens in more conventional ways of meeting someone too.

If you are lonely and a bit desperate (as people searching for love on the net can be), maybe it's possible to imagine that you are in love. For anyone to claim that it's the real thing is though i think a bit daft. How can you love someone who you can't possibly truly know?

When you meet someone via the net, its based (i believe) mainly on communication. So long as both are being honest with each other, you find out what each others likes and dislikes. By the time you actually meet each other, you are (or should be), aware of who the person your meeting is on the inside (and if you used pics and webcam..usually later, you know each other physically too). You meet up because you feel there is already a connection, and meeting is the final part.

Although I have never had a relationship like this, I have made friends via the net before, and its similar.

There are of course possible problems that will arise, maybe expectations will not be met. But, again, that can happen even with meeting someone face to face. In some ways there are many advantages to meeting someone online, because you already feel a connection with the person from the inside, which is, imo the part that is the most important. Looks fade, connection and personality is what counts in the end.

My hand is up. Did you fall in love before you met?

Fall in love with whom? My wife ? no, I never met her before or do you mean with anybody else ?

hv they met each other in person? If they like each other, why dont let them to give it a try? The thing is they gotta go out together and see what will happen, otherwise it is just an imaginary thing bewteen them. It wont last long and waste time.

Isn't this the real reason most men look for "love" on the internet:

Your application to join our online dating agency has been officially

REJECTED.

One of the questions we asked on the application was:

'What do you like most in a woman?' "My dick" is not an appropriate answer.

Thank you for your interest, and best of luck in finding a compatible partner.

Only want to add a little levity here, before this topic get too serious.

I personally don't believe in it but that's just me. Connection and personality, sure works, but people do create online personas which are nothing as in real life. A lot of cyber nutters out there too.

Maybe I'm just a skeptic. Good for you Fred you met your wife online but maybe this was an isolated incident. How many of these online 'dates' turn out to be the real thing? My friend invests hours talking to 'his love' seems like a waste of time to me. Told him so.

Edited by Swanky

hv they met each other in person? If they like each other, why dont let them to give it a try? The thing is they gotta go out together and see what will happen, otherwise it is just an imaginary thing bewteen them. It wont last long and waste time.
So you are trying to tell me I wastet all my time for 6 years? Yes I know what you are talking about, I was careful too but there is ways of checking up

A friend of mine met her boyfriend online, sure they chatted but I don't think they "fell in love" online. They did feel a connection, however ended up meeting in person and have been together for 3 years.

He's cute too, looks kinda like Johnny Depp. But, a shy and kind of a computer geeky Johnny Depp :o

Good for you Fred, but how long did the internet thing go on for before you met and got married?
A long long time for years I guess but I guess it is in the real world as well, you meet some one you fall in love you get married and then you get divorced. I can hear you all out there ok? but just don't dissmiss it because it is the internet. I have 3 friends who are verry happy now they all met on the net

Just another way of meeting people who youd never normally meet in day to day life, i couldnt fall in love with someone on MSN though that seems a bit overblown, but each to their own.

Though many on this site have fallen in love with girls from brothels which i bet they never thought they would so why not.

So you are trying to tell me I wastet all my time for 6 years? Yes I know what you are talking about, I was careful too but there is ways of checking up

NO. Didnt u met ur wife in person ? I am talking abt if u DONT meet up with each other in person.

I moved to Thailand at the beginning of 2008. I met someone who is from my original country in the internet in April. We talked everyday and sometimes she asked me when I would go back to HK to see her. She said she loved me and so did I. Now I am going back to HK for a month in Dec, but we hvnt talked like a month. It's just too late for me. I wish I could be in HK when things were heating up quite well between me and her before.

Sometimes if things work out, it isnt a waste of time (like u).

NO. Didnt u met ur wife in person ? I am talking abt if u DONT meet up with each other in person.

I moved to Thailand at the beginning of 2008. I met someone who is from my original country in the internet in April. We talked everyday and sometimes she asked me when I would go back to HK to see her. She said she loved me and so did I. Now I am going back to HK for a month in Dec, but we hvnt talked like a month. It's just too late for me. I wish I could be in HK when things were heating up quite well between me and her before.

Nothing ever is a waste of time I am not in the position to tell you that I am not a head shrink or what's so ever but if you believe in some thing really hard you will get it

Nothing ever is a waste of time I am not in the position to tell you that I am not a head shrink or what's so ever but if you believe in some thing really hard you will get it

yea. I believe that it is just my fate. I found myself had a great time with her and I am sorry the thing that I said before.

To all of your guys or girls out there just let's cut the crap, every body meets in different circumstances

in real life or on the net ok ? I have met my wife on the net and I am very happy and so are some of my friends but some meet in real life and they are not. So I guess it is up to every body how you find your partner. But don't blame the net or you would not talking to each other now :o

i believe you can find true friendship online, i have met most of my best buds online... but those relations when transcribed in reallife were not as strong as guys i have met irl and became real close with

as far as dating women over the internet... i only did it when i was young, horny and desperate and during my acne years.. met a ton of good looking girls, but it was 'desperation love'

"omg someone good looking cares for me and touches my skin omg"

And im pretty sure 95% of the guys who got married after having inet relationships are still like that unknowingly. i mean theres a reason they used the net and its because nobody wants of them before they happen to know their salary or whatever there is about them.

but hey.. hmmm... i respect those guys way more than guys who brought bargirls out of bars.

Most of them will have decent wifes and at least some kind of friendship on her part.. which is better than a bargirl who cant speak a decent word of english and is only with you because she'd rather sleep with one fat guy that gives her a roof instead of a dif fat guy a night that many times, has an ugly room and way sweatier hairy back.

works for some, i imagine the most it is a fantasy that will not bear fruit.

Interesting topic.

I think on the internet you can be who ever you want to be without revealing the truth of who you are. In other word, you can be Clark Kent in real life, but on the internet, you are Superman. For that reason I think it's difficult to find true love since many on the net are not as truthful of themselves, so the chance of finding that special someone are slim. Not impossible but slim.... IMO

I remember my friends and family saying be careful, and giving funny looks when I told them about the girl I met on the internet. we have been together for 5 years now and married for 3 and have a 7 month old son. we are both very happy and dont have any problems. we are both in love with each other and I have no reason to believe anything will go wrong.

I was very lucky though, I cant say the same for my wife though. :D:o

but having said that, your friend should still be carefull as there are some funny ones on the net.

Its 2008 and I know online dating websites, messenger, yahoo messenger, ICQ 10 years ago.

When you sitting and working infront of computer all day long, talk to person who like the same things, talk for hours everyday, same mind level, same thought. Communication, understanding, feeling and NOT into make things/story up just want to be superman, its goes the same way you meet people in person.

Only thing people on internet needs is honesty. Oneday you will find yourself sitting and waiting for other person to online. :o

If you are the one who make up story then you will get the same thing in return.