Vodka Intolerance.

zaza

I have a friend who drinks alcohol socially- on months apart occasions- and she is not regular or heavy drinker.

She can drink few(1-3) glasses of margaritas or champagne or red wine, but When she has vodka she get drunk off only one drink or drops of it. She had a dinner meeting 2 nights ago at the Long Table,she didn't want to drink any alcohol so she'd asked for an orange juice,but I think the waiter misunderstood her, since all the other who joined that dinner had asked for mixers or wines ,and brought her OJ with vodka.She didn't know that the OJ contained vodka, she was retiring after few minutes and showing signs of getting drunk. She is always a kind of alarmed ,serious,and cautious in such meetings,but she was acting so loose and irresponsible .Now,after two days ,she is still feeling sick,very tired , headaches, hangover etc.

She is wondering why would that happens to her whenever she drinks vodka, and not other alcohol drinks? Is that common?or can she be allergic only for vodka?? :o

In my experience, it is not at all uncommon for people, especially women, to show intolerance to alcohol generally, and certain types of alcohol in particular.

If you talk to teetotallers, you will ofetn find that the reason they don't drink is not so much for health considerations but because they have a violent reaction to alcohol. Some have a reaction to only certain types of alcohol, but abstain any way.

Your friend should avoid Vodka and probably abstain completely, as Vodka is actually one of the 'kindest' types of alcohol, being more or less free from additives and the harmful chemicals which cause hang overs etc.

I can't handle spirits either. Someone ordered me a Long Island Tea the other night and I was literally legless. Nice wine or a cold beer with a meal is fine, anything else I'm gagaga

Edited by Swanky

you state that shes fine with wine and margaritas...... BUT how does she handle other spirits?? is it just vodka that makes her crazy?? i would like to

see your friend take shot of tequila then...and see how she acts? if nomal...........that would be weird......sounds like grey goose disease :o

Mixing drinks is never a good idea. Was also reading something about womens' body fat ratio. We get drunk faster than men do. Also tolerance to alcohol in terms of how much you consume a week. I'm not into binge drinking just the usual business dinners but spirits always give me hangovers I could die for.

Edited by Swanky

you state that shes fine with wine and margaritas...... BUT how does she handle other spirits?? is it just vodka that makes her crazy?? i would like to

see your friend take shot of tequila then...and see how she acts? if nomal...........that would be weird......sounds like grey goose disease :D

She never had tequila,she was not that -crazy- too. :o

Mixing drinks is never a good idea. Was also reading something about womens' body fat ratio. We get drunk faster than men do. Also tolerance to alcohol in terms of how much you consume a week. I'm not into binge drinking just the usual business dinners but spirits always give me hangovers I could die for.

Too true I think. Her body is not used to alcohol, when she drinks margaritas;she got all drunk after the 3rd one ,while others can drink 10 of it.

My ex-GF had a similar problem with vodka. She was quite a lightweight on most alcoholic drinks, but give her a vodka and things went t*ts up. On a few occassions she even had bumps appear all over her skin. I finally persuaded her to stop drinking the stuff for good. IMO she was allergic to something in the vodka...

Shots are the worst. Remember years ago had a Depth Plunger. Something to do with Guiness and a couple of shots of something deadly. A pub crawl in my younger years. Woke up with a footprint on my white T shirt in the back of my car. Never again.....and no I didn't drive home.

Edited by Swanky

My ex-GF had a similar problem with vodka. She was quite a lightweight on most alcoholic drinks, but give her a vodka and things went t*ts up. On a few occassions she even had bumps appear all over her skin. I finally persuaded her to stop drinking the stuff for good. IMO she was allergic to something in the vodka...

Strange,She also had the bumps appeared on her skin.

I guess it's allergy too.

I can normally handle my alcohol quite well.

But a couple of shots of tequila and I turn into the nastiest most aggressive person you could meet, whereas I am really quite a placid person.

I am fine with everything else, it is only tequila that I have a problem with. Needless to say I don't touch the stuff anymore.

I've got a mate that can drink beer, lager or stout by the bucket load but give him bacardi and coke and he wants to fight the world. Newcastle Brown Ale is another one known for bringing out the other side in people. For some it is peculiar regional beers like LCL in the North East of England. Some swear by it, others are rightly scared of it. I love it.

• 3 weeks later...

Same thing happens with my gf on Tequila, i mean she is only about 48 kilos, but if she has a shot of Tequila, things go bad, turns into someone else, and also has an allergic reaction.