The Stranglehold Of Tuk-tuk Operators On Karon Beach

chub

"I don't think it is that Big Burr has been here too long.

But I do know that he has seen caped crusaders like yourself come and go.

By all means, why don't you run out and start doing what you are suggesting.

See how far it gets you, and see how long it takes you to see it as Burr does.

Jet Set Bangkok? I would love to know where you came up with that name?

Seriously, nothing will change with these guys. It has to be this way or it would be CHAOS!!!"

Im not sure what that all means...

I don't know why she says it will be chaos, since a public bus service - just like the ones to and from Phuket town - would be perfect for tourists wanting to go up and down the coast. But since the new governor is just as weak-willed as the last, there's a snow balls chance in h3ll of that happening until someone really big steps in. Until that happens, anybody daring to provide such a service will be beaten to a pulp like the last one who did.

As for the rest of the post, it means Amanda is just as cynical as SB and won't even bother trying to change things. However, they both have the time to bother writing here that they won't bother writing elsewhere. Which seems a bit of a waste of time to me. :o

And now I wish I hadn't bothered writing this.

I live in Singapore (perhaps that's why I am so critical of the transport situation in Phuket) but I'm a frequent visitor to Karon where I find the stranglehold on transport and beach-side facilities by the tuk-tuk operators and their 'black taxi' friends so intolerable.

The beach strip in Karon extends just over one kilometre south from Karon Circle on Karon Beach Road. Within that kilometre there are now seven 'taxi, tuk-tuk stations' occupying all the public beach shelters as well as several makeshift huts. The number keeps increasing. Illegal connections to street lamps and fire hydrants supply electricity and water. Up to a dozen people occupy the bigger stations from 8am – 8pm and they have established open toilets among the trees. After 8pm the tuk-tuks (but few of the black taxis) join the hundreds of tuk-tuks jamming the streets of Patong looking for business.

The purposes of the tuk-tuk stations are: (i) to divide the tourist strip into monopolies, almost one for each hotel (ii) to harass passing tourists (iii) to threaten the driver of any vehicle parking in or near the monopolised spaces (iv) to ensure that no other operators (such as metered taxis, motorcycle taxis, any tuk-tuks and unlicensed taxis not affiliated to their gang) pick up passengers. Gang members have a roster to divide the trips.

51 yellow boxes, marked 'Tuk-Tuk Only' in English have been marked on the road, taking up almost half the available curb space. Orange cones have also been placed. The vehicles occupying the reserved spaces this morning were: 11 tuk-tuks (10 licensed with yellow plates and one licensed as a private car with white plates), 4 'Coaster' minibuses, 19 private cars (white plates) many with a paper 'taxi' sign and including two hire cars (green plates).

Most of the vehicles offered for hire from the tuk-tuk stands are private cars (also called 'black taxis'). The 'black taxis' obviously share the spaces at the invitation of the 'strongman' in each station, no doubt for a fee. The 'black taxis' are highly visible and are obviously immune from action by the police or licensing authority. It is likely that the police are directly involved as drivers or owners as well as collecting their usual levy on illegal businesses.

Although the purpose of the monopolies is to deny tourists access to any alternative means of transport and thereby to charge exorbitant fares, the monopoly system doesn't work in the tuk-tuk operators interests. When a tuk-tuk drops a passenger, they have to return empty to their home stand and face a long wait for their turn in the roster. The wait can be long wait as there are so many black taxis in the queue. Tuk-tuks will be prevented by other gangs from picking up a passenger from most points en-route. Also, it is obvious to most tourists that they are being exploited and most prefer to rent a motorcycle and risk death and injury rather than deal with the 'take-it-or-leave-it' attitude of the tuk-tuk operators. You can rent a bike for a week for the cost of one round-trip (400 baht each way for 6kms) to Patong.

None of this is in the public interest and is highly detrimental to the tourist trade and the environment of Karon.

Exactly why I refuse to return to Phuket, anywhere else in los is better..don't support mafia.

Hi

Baht bus like Pattaya??

No, not like Pattaya. Those are pick-up size circulating very frequently all day & evening. Phuket beach buses are lorry size every half hour and STOP at 18.00.

Public bus service between beaches was tried a few years ago, but stopped immediately when bus drivers were badly beaten up and road from Patong to Karon was blocked by Tuk Tuks. Just a mob rule with no police intervention or police motivation.

These louts lie around all day half asleep to be jolted into action for 1 of their 2 runs for the day. Two return trips could be anything from 500-1200 baht. Compare that to a meter taxi in Bkk.....they are lucky to pull 1000 for a 12 hour day.

I parked in an open space (for cars) on Rat-U-Thit to be told very bluntly to move by 2 tuk tuk drivers. I pointed out the space I was in was not a tuk tuk area....to no avail. "Move now, or else". Nasty hostile and threatening.

This is one subject that stirs us all up and as pointed out too deeply ingrained now to be controlled.

Public bus service between beaches was tried a few years ago, but stopped immediately when bus drivers were badly beaten up and road from Patong to Karon was blocked by Tuk Tuks. Just a mob rule with no police intervention or police motivation.

:o

i was not informed about this.

thanks for the clue.

i was not informed about this.

thanks for the clue.

From the Phuket Gazette's "Issues and Answers", May 15 - 21, 2004:

Q.

From Alex Thow:

Why is there no songtaew bus running between Karon and Patong?

A.

Reply from Teerayuth Prasertphol, Deputy Director of the Phuket Provincial Transportation Office:

In 1994, we established a public transport route linking Patong and Karon. After just three days, however, the driver was pulled from his vehicle and badly beaten by competitors.

We would still like to have an investor operate a songtaew along that route, but since 1994 nobody has contacted us about the possibility of operating it.

They are probably worried about having similar problems and losing their investment capital. Public transport in Phuket faces many problems of this nature.

So, no change in 4 1/2 years. But it won't be like this forever. It will change one day.

Many of the tuk-tuk drivers are just trying to make a decent living. The outrageous prices we suffer is a direct consequence of the high monthly rent that the tuk-tuk drivers themselves have to pay to Mr. Big.

I agree with most of the points that you make but .... Not on this one though.... The TT drivers in Patong in general are bone idle lazy and operate with the same inane mindset as the empty Thai hotel in low season that sets a room price at 2500 for one night and will refuse 10,000 for 5 nights. The Red Brigade would prefer to do one trip for 400 Baht than 2 for 200... Its the old Thai logic. The boys in Karon and Kata mostly hang around the bars waiting for their girl friends (who support them) to finish work and keep an eye out for any young pale flesh that arrives from up country that may thru her freshness provide him with a better income. But on the same emotive subject. I took a rare trip to Patong a few weeks ago and refused to pay a a line of Tuk Tuk's 400 Baht to go to the Ban See Fa nightclub a mere 4 minute drive from Bangla. Instead I crossed the road to the Sand Inn and negotiated with a motor bike taxi for my Gf and myself at a rate of 80 Baht... Well all hel_l broke loose when some young Thai guy who seemed to be over seeing the stand and was high on a cocktail of Ice and his own self importance thru an almighty wobbler and began screaming at the old geezer for accepting the 80 Baht cos the price was 150 Baht... The old guy stood his ground all be it nervously and at the end of the journey I gave him 150 Baht

Many of the tuk-tuk drivers are just trying to make a decent living. The outrageous prices we suffer is a direct consequence of the high monthly rent that the tuk-tuk drivers themselves have to pay to Mr. Big.

I agree with most of the points that you make but .... Not on this one though.... The TT drivers in Patong in general are bone idle lazy and operate with the same inane mindset as the empty Thai hotel in low season that sets a room price at 2500 for one night and will refuse 10,000 for 5 nights. The Red Brigade would prefer to do one trip for 400 Baht than 2 for 200... Its the old Thai logic. The boys in Karon and Kata mostly hang around the bars waiting for their girl friends (who support them) to finish work and keep an eye out for any young pale flesh that arrives from up country that may thru her freshness provide him with a better income. But on the same emotive subject. I took a rare trip to Patong a few weeks ago and refused to pay a a line of Tuk Tuk's 400 Baht to go to the Ban See Fa nightclub a mere 4 minute drive from Bangla. Instead I crossed the road to the Sand Inn and negotiated with a motor bike taxi for my Gf and myself at a rate of 80 Baht... Well all hel_l broke loose when some young Thai guy who seemed to be over seeing the stand and was high on a cocktail of Ice and his own self importance thru an almighty wobbler and began screaming at the old geezer for accepting the 80 Baht cos the price was 150 Baht... The old guy stood his ground all be it nervously and at the end of the journey I gave him 150 Baht

Only brace in numbers.

See the great taxi mafia in Bangkok get chased up the road by a bunch of old ladies in yellow shirts.

Mafia my ass. 10 on one and they are a menace. 8 - 1 or less they will sh1t it and run.

Lot of lost face by the "mafia" in thailand.

Also, it is obvious to most tourists that they are being exploited and most prefer to rent a motorcycle and risk death and injury rather than deal with the ‘take-it-or-leave-it’ attitude of the tuk-tuk operators.

If you saw what is in the glove box of many of the tuktuks you'd think twice about getting in one.

Also, it is obvious to most tourists that they are being exploited and most prefer to rent a motorcycle and risk death and injury rather than deal with the 'take-it-or-leave-it' attitude of the tuk-tuk operators.

If you saw what is in the glove box of many of the tuktuks you'd think twice about getting in one.

Not used one for years. Never will.

This new Phuket governor seems to enjoy being in the press.

Perhaps he could tackle the TukTuk problem, be something he'd get a lot of credit for. Unlikely, I know.

...These issues should be sent to the press. Just my opinion....

My thoughts too. Copy it word for word to: [email protected]

You really think the Phuket gazette doesn't know this already?

You really think that the paper will put their staff in harm's way?

You both really are naive.

(My 'bolding')

* bump *

Anyone seen the latest Phuket Gazette? :o

Come on, Sir Burr, say something - or I might have to say what 'Sir Burr' means in Thai! :D

I live in Singapore (perhaps that's why I am so critical of the transport situation in Phuket) but I'm a frequent visitor to Karon where I find the stranglehold on transport and beach-side facilities by the tuk-tuk operators and their 'black taxi' friends so intolerable.

The beach strip in Karon extends just over one kilometre south from Karon Circle on Karon Beach Road. Within that kilometre there are now seven 'taxi, tuk-tuk stations' occupying all the public beach shelters as well as several makeshift huts. The number keeps increasing. Illegal connections to street lamps and fire hydrants supply electricity and water. Up to a dozen people occupy the bigger stations from 8am – 8pm and they have established open toilets among the trees. After 8pm the tuk-tuks (but few of the black taxis) join the hundreds of tuk-tuks jamming the streets of Patong looking for business.

The purposes of the tuk-tuk stations are: (i) to divide the tourist strip into monopolies, almost one for each hotel (ii) to harass passing tourists (iii) to threaten the driver of any vehicle parking in or near the monopolised spaces (iv) to ensure that no other operators (such as metered taxis, motorcycle taxis, any tuk-tuks and unlicensed taxis not affiliated to their gang) pick up passengers. Gang members have a roster to divide the trips.

51 yellow boxes, marked 'Tuk-Tuk Only' in English have been marked on the road, taking up almost half the available curb space. Orange cones have also been placed. The vehicles occupying the reserved spaces this morning were: 11 tuk-tuks (10 licensed with yellow plates and one licensed as a private car with white plates), 4 'Coaster' minibuses, 19 private cars (white plates) many with a paper 'taxi' sign and including two hire cars (green plates).

Most of the vehicles offered for hire from the tuk-tuk stands are private cars (also called 'black taxis'). The 'black taxis' obviously share the spaces at the invitation of the 'strongman' in each station, no doubt for a fee. The 'black taxis' are highly visible and are obviously immune from action by the police or licensing authority. It is likely that the police are directly involved as drivers or owners as well as collecting their usual levy on illegal businesses.

Although the purpose of the monopolies is to deny tourists access to any alternative means of transport and thereby to charge exorbitant fares, the monopoly system doesn't work in the tuk-tuk operators interests. When a tuk-tuk drops a passenger, they have to return empty to their home stand and face a long wait for their turn in the roster. The wait can be long wait as there are so many black taxis in the queue. Tuk-tuks will be prevented by other gangs from picking up a passenger from most points en-route. Also, it is obvious to most tourists that they are being exploited and most prefer to rent a motorcycle and risk death and injury rather than deal with the 'take-it-or-leave-it' attitude of the tuk-tuk operators. You can rent a bike for a week for the cost of one round-trip (400 baht each way for 6kms) to Patong.

None of this is in the public interest and is highly detrimental to the tourist trade and the environment of Karon.

In case you dont know, this is run by the mafia across all of Phuket, they have killed people (2 of my friends were almost killed by tuk tuk drivers).......one hotel tried to introduce a bus service and the tuk tuks blockaded the hotel....once again thailand at its best.. these guys are corrupt, rude, dangerous and not to be used, I NEVER USE THEM, GET A MOTOR CYC

IN CASE YOU DONT KNOW EVERYONE IS GETTING BACKHANDERS FROM THEM FOR APPROVAL OF THEIR LICENSES..... ITS TOO LATE KNOw there is a corrupt stranglehold on TUK TUKS in PHUKET

Edited by ozinthailand

Whilst it is unfortunate, none of the criteria above has any bearing on the tourist industry in Phuket.

gallery_35489_975_9215.jpg

Why don't you wander back under your bridge, troll.

Whilst it is unfortunate, none of the criteria above has any bearing on the tourist industry in Phuket.

gallery_35489_975_9215.jpg

Why don't you wander back under your bridge, troll.

???????????????

It is highly regrettable but since when has public interest and the environment had much to do with the tourist industry in Phuket (and even foresight of anything that might harm the industry itslf)?

Errrrrm...........I've just looked at the Gazette online and can't see a relevant article.

Could you point me in the right direction?

Try the printed edition, Letters page, last letter. :o

Me? Pay good money for the Phuket Gazette?

You've got to be kiddin'.

Errrrrm...........I've just looked at the Gazette online and can't see a relevant article.

Could you point me in the right direction?

Try the printed edition, Letters page, last letter. :o

Me? Pay good money for the Phuket Gazette?

You've got to be kiddin'.

Ah well, in that case I'll bump this thread in three weeks time when the full edition - including the Letters page - is available online.

You'll be more than surprised to see that the Gazette has grown a pair. :D

Ah well, in that case I'll bump this thread in three weeks time when the full edition - including the Letters page - is available online.

You'll be more than surprised to see that the Gazette has grown a pair. :o

If this is a letter you're talking about, then the Gazette covers their arse with the disclaimer "letters do not reflect the views of this newspaper".

You'll be more than surprised to see that the Gazette has grown a pair. :o

If this is a letter you're talking about, then the Gazette covers their arse with the disclaimer "letters do not reflect the views of this newspaper".

Not quite an apology SB, but I suppose it'll have to do.

You said I was naive to think they would print the letter, and they did! :D

Another letter was printed this week titled "Tuk-tuk tyranny" and refers to last week's letter ("Ticked off at tuk-tuks") and also refers to "The Governor's Letter" which was printed opposite last week's letters page.

Last week's "Governor's Letter" was notable because in all the many column inches printed, the new governor made not one mention of tuk-tuks, buses or even public transport.

The letter this week suggests that the cartels that control the tuk-tuks be "disbanded" - bring in the army? - and spends a lot of time taking both the previous and current governors to task for doing and promising to do, respectively, bugger all about it.

And there's another letter this week complaining about the lack of public transport within Phuket town. I hope the Gazette keeps this up.

It would be good if they changed their image from this gallery_35489_957_9813.jpg to this gallery_35489_957_43399.jpg