Uk 10 Year Visit Visa

My girlfriend has had three visit visa's in the last 3 years and has travelled to the UK 5 times all together.We are wondering whether to apply for a 10 year visa this time so as to make her visits more flexible.Has anyone ever had a 10 year visit visa issued and also has anyone had one refused and for what reasons.The visa costs nearly 3 times the price of a 6 month visa which is good value if you get the 10 years but not so good if they take your money and only give another 6 month visa.Any information on 10 year visa 's would be most appreciated.Thanks

The Bangkok embassy did stop issueing long term visit visas a while back due to the phased introduction of biometric passports by the Thai government. However, what the current situation is I'm afraid I don't know.

A phone call to the embassy or VAC will probably help.

Assuming that 10 year visas are again being issued, whether she will qualify for one will depend on her circumstances.

Being a regular visitor who has complied with the rules is a plus.

Being your girlfriend, not wife, could be a minus. But this may be ok if the two of you are living together in a relationship akin to marriage and have been for some time.

• 2 weeks later...

This is essentially the same situation I'm in. My girlfriend has visited me 4 times in the last 4 years now and I have successfully applied for a 6 month tourist visa each time.

Is know it is possible in theory to get a longer term visa, but I was wondering what the chances are? She's not got a full time job and just works on her farm at home when she's not with me. I've acted as her sponsor on all of her previous visa applications.

Does anybody have any idea?

I did get this from the UK Visa website but it's not clear.

"Long-term premium visa, our commitment to our valued and trusted customers

Do you travel to the UK frequently, either on business or for leisure or family purposes?

Like many other countries, the UK has introduced the collection of biometric data of all visa applicants. This is a quick and simple process involving a ten finger scan which enables us to keep you safe and identify you as someone that we know and trust. To demonstrate the value the UK places upon travellers who chose to visit the UK regularly, the UK Border Agency is providing the option of a long-term, multiple entry, premium visit visa.

The long-term premium visa includes the following benefits:

• allows unlimited entries to the UK, for up to six months at any one time, for the validity of the visa

• saves you time - you only need to provide your biometric data once during the whole validity of the visa

• identifies the holder as a person known and trusted by the UK government

• helps to protect customers from identity theft

• prevents mistaken identity (i.e. preventing confusing an individual with another person bearing the same or similar name)

• protects the holder against any future visa fee increases for the validity of the long-term visa.

A long-term premium visa demonstrates our long-term commitment to our valued and trusted customers. In addition, our trusted customers can apply to enrol in the automatic iris recognition system at UK ports, which facilitates 'fast track' admission by the use of automatic booths, avoiding queues. Information about automatic iris recognition system is available on the UK Border Agency website.

To apply for a long-term premium visa, please tick the appropriate box on the online visa application form or on the form you can download from this website.

Staff at our visa appplication centres can guide you through the application process available in your country.

"

Afraid that I can't input much to this discussion but all I can tell you is that it's more of a tier system; e.g. a few 6 month visa's and then a 1 year visa and then 2 year visa and so on.

We didn't get past the 2 year one as circumstances changed, however I don't think you can jump from a few 6 months to a 10 year visa.

Again this is just my putting together of what I've been through and nothing should be taken as 100% correct :o

A guy on another forum got issued a 2 year visa in October similar circumstances to yourself. We dont genereally get asked for long term visa most of our work is short term tourist visa applications. But it will be based on your individual circumstances maybe apply for a 2 year visa or try for a little longerreason to return is not an issue as she has travelled already.

Afraid that I can't input much to this discussion but all I can tell you is that it's more of a tier system; e.g. a few 6 month visa's and then a 1 year visa and then 2 year visa and so on.

We didn't get past the 2 year one as circumstances changed, however I don't think you can jump from a few 6 months to a 10 year visa.

Again this is just my putting together of what I've been through and nothing should be taken as 100% correct :o

It's my understanding that a 2 year visa or any longer term tourist visa still only permits a max stay of 6months at a time or 6months out of 12 - is that right? What did your g/f do re length of stays, etc

Thanks

It's my understanding that a 2 year visa or any longer term tourist visa still only permits a max stay of 6months at a time or 6months out of 12 - is that right?
That is correct. Under normal circumstances a visitor cannot spend more than 6 months in the UK on any one visit. Nor can they spend more than 6 months out of any 12 in the UK without a reason acceptable to the Home Office.

Holding a long term visit visa doesn't change this, it merely saves regular visitors the hassle of applying for a new visa each time.

It's my understanding that a 2 year visa or any longer term tourist visa still only permits a max stay of 6months at a time or 6months out of 12 - is that right?
That is correct. Under normal circumstances a visitor cannot spend more than 6 months in the UK on any one visit. Nor can they spend more than 6 months out of any 12 in the UK without a reason acceptable to the Home Office.

Holding a long term visit visa doesn't change this, it merely saves regular visitors the hassle of applying for a new visa each time.

Exactly. For us we were both going back and forth (UK - Thailand) about 4 times per year. Every time she got 6 months. Visa validity and visa duration are different (similar to getting a 1 year multiple entry to Thailand). I can't comment on the "more than 6 months per 12 months" as we didn't spend that much time per year, but from what I saw (personal experience and on these forums) it's a pretty fixed rule, as 7by7 said.

• 1 year later...
Anyone get anywhere with the 10 year visa to the UK>?

My wife is about to apply so will let you know but would be nice if anyone has any news about success, or failure

Thanks

My Gf recently got a 5 year visit visa granted.Would have applied for the 10 year visit visa but intend to go for a settlement visa for the sake of our daughters education before the 5 years is up.

Since we got the 5 year visa it is my assumption that it is very likely that we would have also been granted the 10 year visa had we applied. After all what is required for one is required by the other be it for 5 or 10 years...in theory at least??

Edited by brizzle

^ What was your gf's UK visa 'history' prior to applying and getting this 5-year one? It may give some a clue as to when to try and apply for something more substantial than a standard 6-month one.

Thanks.

Edited by NanLaew

^ What was your gf's UK visa 'history' prior to applying and getting this 5-year one? It may give some a clue as to when to try and apply for something more substantial than a standard 6-month one.

Thanks.

She had two previous 6 month tourist visas in consecutive years (2008 and 2009).

Cheers

Hi Guys

we're just considering the options at the moment . . .

My Thai wife has had

1 year student Visa issued in BKK

1 Year student visa issued in the UK

2 year LLR visa after we married in the UK (now expired) and which we used last time we went to the UK 2008

4 schengen visas issued in the UK

we have lived in Thailand for 2 years and 4 months

We also have a daughter with dual nationality (Thai/UK)

My dad has recently been hospitalised but is now getting better,

but we would like the option to be able to go back to

the UK at short notice should he get poorly again (or worse)

What would be the most realistic option visa wise?

6 months

1 year

2 year

5 year

10 year

Ideally I think I'd like to go for the 10 year . . .

what do you think our chances would be?

David

VAT1.4 Visa validity - What period for a multiple entry visit visa?

There is no requirement for a person to have held a short term visit visa before being issued with a visit visa which has a longer validity. For example, an applicant does not need to have been issued with a standard six months visit visa before being issued with a five year visit visa. Unless there are grounds for not issuing a long term visit visa, the ECO should issue the visa applied for. (My emphasis)

Applications for long term visit visas will be considered in the light of :

• Credible ongoing reason to visit. A successful applicant must demonstrate a frequent and sustained need to come to the UK, such as family links or an established business connection.
  • Stability of personal circumstances. As far as possible applicants 'status should be unlikely to change significantly during the validity of the visa. The better able the applicant is to demonstrate stability over the long term the more it will support an application for a longer period of validity.
  • Successful applicants will also need to demonstrate that they are able to support themselves in the UK without recourse to public funds, and demonstrate that they would intend to leave the UK at the end of each visit.
  • Previous travel history as evidenced in a current valid passport, which might include travel to Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Schengen countries, Switzerland, or the USA in the same category as the application to the UK, for example, as a visitor. Holding a valid visa for any of the aforementioned countries, evidence they complied with conditions of entry, that applications for these countries were not refused nor were they removed from a country on their last trip, would all help to support the application.

Care should be taken when considering long term visa applications from child visitors. They should only be granted a visa which is valid to six months past their 18th birthday. For instance, a 14 year old applying for a five or ten year long term visit visa, the visa expiry date should be limited to the date that is six months after the applicant's 18th birthday.

In all instances, if an ECO decides that a shorter validity of visit visa is more appropriate than the one applied for, the ECM should approve it and notes should be added to Proviso. In such cases, no refund (full or partial) is available. The ECO should ensure that clear explanatory information for the decision is provided in a covering letter when the passport is returned.

Anyone get anywhere with the 10 year visa to the UK>?

My wife is about to apply so will let you know but would be nice if anyone has any news about success, or failure

Thanks

My Gf recently got a 5 year visit visa granted.Would have applied for the 10 year visit visa but intend to go for a settlement visa for the sake of our daughters education before the 5 years is up.

Since we got the 5 year visa it is my assumption that it is very likely that we would have also been granted the 10 year visa had we applied. After all what is required for one is required by the other be it for 5 or 10 years...in theory at least??

that's promising

so, with 3 previous visits, we're in for a chance. it would save the hassle of having to go to bkk each time.

i'll post what happens after we know.

cheers

VAT1.4 Visa validity - What period for a multiple entry visit visa?
There is no requirement for a person to have held a short term visit visa before being issued with a visit visa which has a longer validity. For example, an applicant does not need to have been issued with a standard six months visit visa before being issued with a five year visit visa. Unless there are grounds for not issuing a long term visit visa, the ECO should issue the visa applied for. (My emphasis)

Applications for long term visit visas will be considered in the light of :

• Credible ongoing reason to visit. A successful applicant must demonstrate a frequent and sustained need to come to the UK, such as family links or an established business connection.
  • Stability of personal circumstances. As far as possible applicants 'status should be unlikely to change significantly during the validity of the visa. The better able the applicant is to demonstrate stability over the long term the more it will support an application for a longer period of validity.
  • Successful applicants will also need to demonstrate that they are able to support themselves in the UK without recourse to public funds, and demonstrate that they would intend to leave the UK at the end of each visit.
  • Previous travel history as evidenced in a current valid passport, which might include travel to Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Schengen countries, Switzerland, or the USA in the same category as the application to the UK, for example, as a visitor. Holding a valid visa for any of the aforementioned countries, evidence they complied with conditions of entry, that applications for these countries were not refused nor were they removed from a country on their last trip, would all help to support the application.

Care should be taken when considering long term visa applications from child visitors. They should only be granted a visa which is valid to six months past their 18th birthday. For instance, a 14 year old applying for a five or ten year long term visit visa, the visa expiry date should be limited to the date that is six months after the applicant's 18th birthday.

In all instances, if an ECO decides that a shorter validity of visit visa is more appropriate than the one applied for, the ECM should approve it and notes should be added to Proviso. In such cases, no refund (full or partial) is available. The ECO should ensure that clear explanatory information for the decision is provided in a covering letter when the passport is returned.

thats a pretty useful bit of text. where did you find that?

also promising

thanks

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Wife-s-10-Ye...41#entry3472241

check this out.

• 3 weeks later...
Bump,Does anyone know if these visas are issued.Surely someone has applied or am I going to be the first !!!!

Yep, my Mrs started with a 5 and now has a 10.

Hi, can you tell me how does a 10 year visa work if the passport is only valid for 5 years? can it be transferred onto the next passport issued?

Cheers

Hi, can you tell me how does a 10 year visa work if the passport is only valid for 5 years? can it be transferred onto the next passport issued?

You can travel with both passports as the visa remains valid in the expired passport.

You can transfer the visa if you wish, but that costs about 3900 Baht, if you should lose the old passport you would need to make a fresh application and pay a new fee.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/faqs/5167621/19352809

You can travel with both passports as the visa remains valid in the expired passport.

You can transfer the visa if you wish, but that costs about 3900 Baht, if you should lose the old passport you would need to make a fresh application and pay a new fee.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/faqs/5167621/19352809

thanks

Good news, got a 10 year visa to the UK granted today.

My wife has had 3 '6 month visas' over the last 3 years and we decided to go for the 10 year and got it.

I said that i'd post what happens.

Cheers

My wife has had 3 '6 month visas' over the last 3 years and we decided to go for the 10 year and got it.

Cheers

Congratulations :):D

How long did you have to wait?

RAZZ

Cheers

Congratulations :):D

How long did you have to wait?

RAZZ

cheers

we only had to wait about 2 weeks. Had it sent to Chiang Mai. I think the '10 year' pile isn't all that big so maybe it gets processed quicker?

As far as I am aware, although different categories of application may be separated into different 'piles' they are then processed in the order they are received. So a visit application would join the visit 'pile' and be processed in order, whatever the length of validity applied for.