Thaksin Vows To End Poverty Within Four Years

george

PM vows to end poverty within four years

PHRAE: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has vowed to end poverty in Thailand within four years.

The leader of the ruling Thai Rack Thai (TRT) party also promised that if his government were reelected in elections scheduled for February 6, every farmer in the country would have the deeds to their own land.

The prime minister made the remarks during a campaign stop in the northern province of Sukhothai.

Several ministers, including Deputy Prime Minister Somsak Thepsuthin and Transport Minister Suriya Jungrungreangkit, accompanied Mr. Thaksin on the trip.

The prime minister later traveled on to Phitsanulok province, and was due to continue on the campaign trail with a trip to Nakhon Sawan province.

He told journalists that he was certain that his party would win more than 60 constituencies out of 78 in the North in the next election.

The leader of TRT is scheduled to launch a similar campaign in the southern province of Satun on Monday.

--TNA 2004-12-12

PM vows to end poverty within four years

PHRAE: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has vowed to end poverty in Thailand within four years.

The leader of the ruling Thai Rack Thai (TRT) party also promised that if his government were reelected in elections scheduled for February 6, every farmer in the country would have the deeds to their own land.

The prime minister made the remarks during a campaign stop in the northern province of Sukhothai.

Several ministers, including Deputy Prime Minister Somsak Thepsuthin and Transport Minister Suriya Jungrungreangkit, accompanied Mr. Thaksin on the trip.

The prime minister later traveled on to Phitsanulok province, and was due to continue on the campaign trail with a trip to Nakhon Sawan province.

He told journalists that he was certain that his party would win more than 60 constituencies out of 78 in the North in the next election.

The leader of TRT is scheduled to launch a similar campaign in the southern province of Satun on Monday.

--TNA 2004-12-12

It is all connected to Elite Card Mark II :o

Promising the world with eradicating poverty.... What does that mean? How can he do that?

Well, Thaksin has already told us how we'll know the he has eradicated poverty.... Remember the call for poor people to sign up some months ago? Those are ALL the poor people in Thailand, right? Afterall, he asked every poor person to register and list what they needed and what debts they owed now, and also told them he would help with their problems. Of course ALL poor are going to sign up, right? Anyway, that's Thaksin's logic as quoted in the press (and I heard him say the same in a TV interview)

He'll succeed in his mind by making sure the poor get the relevent referrals to the program that he 'knows' will solve their problems of poverty. Some denuded land on which nothing grows, but can be mortgaged to the bank for some quick cash- and, if history is any guide, any freebies from the government will translate to the rich getting richer and the poor being stuck with the shitty end of the stick - until they threaten to march, or an election is drawing near. Then there will be another bail-out program. And so the cycle continues, as it always has....

Not much real follow-up or support after the referrals, either. Not enough manpower. "Up to them to decide if they take the bait...er, free giveaway by the government. I've completed my part" I can almost hear him saying...

All he needs to help you is for you to give him absolute power and not question anything he or his friends do.... :o

Edited by Ajarn

mmm...

me think the real action is needed

as all the top thirty percent richest people in thailand

to give up thirty percent of their total wealth

and give it to the poorest thirty percent of thai people

how about that

or just another NATO

<no action talk only>

act first then talk is the best policy one wish to do good...

Actually we have to consider what taskin considers as poverty, now if we reckon he earns say maybe a million baht per day, we then have to decide what a man who earns that much money consideres poverty level, lets for arguements sake say he has a quiet day, a small luncheon with a couple of buddies= 3000baht, then off home, fills up the limo with petrol=1000baht, then gives his kids some spending money, say 4,000baht.... d,amn hes leading a better life on a bad day than most farangs...........

The idea of farmers having deeds to their own land.

Well my wife has land but no papers. All the farmers with land and no papers, around here are being issued with papers. the north side of the village has already been done. We are now just waiting for this to happen.

As I'm going away for a couple of weeks my wife is saying she needs me to leave her money to pay for this,issuing with papers. She has no idea what this is going to cost. Anyone got any ideas about how much or at least where we can find out what the cost will be. When Iask my wife she just says ''don't know''. considering that this land has been with her family for several generations Ican't see how it should cost her anything.

I think we ought to rename Thaksin to thaksin gunna.

Remember when he was just a minister he was going to fix up the Bangkok traffic problem in just six months.

Joe

I wonder what 'paper' you're referring to... Is it a true chanod? I read that that they will not give a full chanod to many of these farmers, meaning they can't sell their land, but they can get a bank loan.... Failure to pay off the loan would result in you losing your rights to farm the land, and the rights would be given to someone else....

Some might be better off NOT being a part of this program.

As for the 'fees', it could be some minor govt fee for processing, but if it's like in the thousands of baht, I'd expect that to be something more nefarious... You can either ask at the issuing office, or ask one of the people you referred to as already receiving their 'papers'.

Quote - Miss Ange - I wonder if Mr Shinawatra has ever met Ex Australian PM Bob Hawke?

Haha I had to laugh......yes Mr Hawke was going to solve child poverty many years ago........good luck to the fearless leader.......actually he could probably do it himself with a small portion of his wealth.

A great ideal, but really just politician hot air.

It's the same everywhere in the world I've been, and I've often used the idea that all politicians have the same parents in situations where I was trying to build cross-cultural connections by showing what we have in common, since everyone can identify with politicos blowing hot air. :o

Bob Hawke, the working man's man LOL, isn't Toksin using the Hawke memoirs as a political guide??

Hawke later had the guts to admit it was a stupid thing to say..."that was just a cross I had to bear", but you'll never hear that from "Mr Humility" Tasksin. The man has no shame.

I was going to say that this is the most ridiculous thing Taksin has ever said...but then I remembered a few other statements about lack of food leading to asphixiation...

but right now who can replace him....another 4 of KT is hard to bear but may be inevitable

Not only inevitable but almost certainly........guaranteed :o

If there's one thing I've learned here, it's that NOTHING is guaranteed here. Anything can and does happen in Thailand- especially in politics. TiT, na'? :D

...perhaps using the same basic methodology that was used to eradicate Thailand of drugs last year? :D

This is a comon joke under the Thai's, they will all be dead within four years either from starvation ore getting killed by police/military :o

• 2 months later...

Govt makes poverty a priority

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said wiping out poverty is a high priority of the new government.

The premier told cabinet that fighting poverty would be the next government’s top priority, the government spokesman, Jakrapob Penkair told journalists after Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting.

He said the suggestions of the National Council of Social and Economic Advisor would form the basis of the government’s approach.

Creating jobs, combating corruption, the protection of people’s rights, opening career opportunities and strengthening the economy are a key part of the government’s policies, the PM said.

The prime minister had earlier vowed to wipe out the country’s poverty under his leadership.

Many programmes have already been launched to create career opportunities for the poor in rural areas, including soft loans for small businesses, career training courses, village funds and the construction of public facilities.

Senior Thai Rak Thai offcials believe one of the key reasons for the party's landslide victory in the general elections on 6 February was its programmes aimed the people at the grassroots or community level.

--TNA 2005-02-23