Wifi Apple Ibook

zenbangkok

:D Hello All,

I have searched through the forum for info on WIFI.. I really need some assistance from someone with a bit more computer knowledge than myself.

I am living in Bangkok and have a iBook. My apartment has no phone but the little coffee shop downstairs has WIFI.. If I wanted to use WIFI presumably I could buy an 'Airport'... is that it? would that mean that I could use the internet in WIFI hotspots? Are there many around Bangkok? If so can you give me examples of where..

Any help greatly appreciated :o

Hotspots are all over the place now and you'll find them in just about every shopping mall (generally not free, with a couple of exceptions), and many of the larger hotels as well as zillions of private ones all over the city (many of which are open for use, but probably due to carelessness).

Some companies offer 'pay for use' chains of hotspots. True seems to have a network throughout the malls (I think by subscription), KSC has deals with Starbucks and a few other places (buy an access card with your coffee). I heard Orange is also getting into it now but haven't seen any details.

I was maintaining a list of public hotspots, but it was impossible to keep up with so I stopped !

I have no idea about the Apple stuff. But there's an Apple shop in the Siam Discovery Centre that has a free hotspot so they could probably help you !

Edited by Crushdepth

As long as your iBook is Airport 'ready' you just need the Airport card to begin using hotspots. The Airport card is a PCMCIA card for an 802.11b/g adapter. If you'r iBook is Airport 'ready' the antenna will be built into the structure of the iBook.

If you have a wifi connection downstairs I'd be concerned how high up you live. Will the signal reach your apartment with sufficient strength to benefit you. You can either buy the card and find out or get a friend with wifi to try it out for you or you can buy wifi finders but I'd suggest the card. If you don't use it in this application you will at another.

If you can get a signal you need to see if the hotspot is free of if you need to pay to use their service. If it's free and you can get a signal - what is it you Aussie's say... Bob's your friend? Who's Bob... but I digress. If not free you'll just have to see if it's cost effective. A little footwork to the coffee shop will probably help and I'd start there before making any purchase.

Finally, if you google you'll find multiple db of hotspots. Here is just one I found.

http://www.wi-fihotspotlist.com/browse/intl/2000038/

Good luck.

As long as your iBook is Airport 'ready' you just need the Airport card to begin using hotspots. The Airport card is a PCMCIA card for an 802.11b/g adapter. If you'r iBook is Airport 'ready' the antenna will be built into the structure of the iBook.

If you have a wifi connection downstairs I'd be concerned how high up you live. Will the signal reach your apartment with sufficient strength to benefit you. You can either buy the card and find out or get a friend with wifi to try it out for you or you can buy wifi finders but I'd suggest the card. If you don't use it in this application you will at another.

If you can get a signal you need to see if the hotspot is free of if you need to pay to use their service. If it's free and you can get a signal - what is it you Aussie's say... Bob's your friend? Who's Bob... but I digress. If not free you'll just have to see if it's cost effective. A little footwork to the coffee shop will probably help and I'd start there before making any purchase.

Finally, if you google you'll find multiple db of hotspots. Here is just one I found.

http://www.wi-fihotspotlist.com/browse/intl/2000038/

Good luck.

Thanks for input, both of you. Wasn't expecting the WIFI hotspot to reach up to my floor.. though would be nice if it does (was just going to go and sit in the coffee shop) and yes it is free.

I will go to the apple shop at Siam discovery and see if they can help me.. Thanks :o