20 Sleeping Tourists Robbed

sriracha john

Well I don't think all passengers were asleep, but it is not unusual that the bus stops in night, the staff gets out and then the trip continues after some minutes. So no one will be alarmed when that happens... it will take a while to find out that the bus was abandoned.

So always keep the valuable stuff like passport, money and electronic devices near your body.

But I don't understand how they thought they could get away with that? unless the "staff" kidnapped the bus before and wasn't really employed at the company... But then the company already should have noticed the loss of a bus before. Just sounds too stupid for me.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it that the Bus's owner Sirada Boonme, 26 refuses to provide the names of the 4 thieves in her employ..Shouldn't she be arrested for hindering a police investigation?

Absolutely.

She MUST name names and give addresses etc.

Otherwise she is obstructing justice.

In theory... TIT.

Sadly, this is an old scenario--I actually thought it had gone away. About 20 years ago, I went with a Thai friend from BKK to CM. I don't like soda which they brought around and refused. The attendant insisted so I took a cup, but didn't drink it--I gave it to my friend. Several hours later, I awoke and saw the attendant going through the luggage--didn't pay a lot of attention as I didn't realize for a while that it wasn't her luggage. As the bus went on, she went through nearly every bag on the bus, taking out things--mostly money and jewelry. There weren't mobile phones at the time.

After a while it became clear that everyone had been drugged. I pretended to sleep and I had my bag wrapped around my leg and moved around when she got to me, so she just proceeded.

It was a little scary as we were in the middle of nowhere.

I think I was the only foreigner on the bus.

At that time there were some pretty heavy drugs available over the counter.

I am sorry for these people, it's a bad way to have a vacation ruined.

They probably took the stuff from luggage compartment rather than from "carry on", people would have no idea what was going on.

friend of mine was on an overnight bus trip a few months back and awoke at about 2am to find two little fellas going through the passengers' hand luggage. she shouted out to wake everyone up and the two chaps were accosted and relieved of ipods, mobile phones, cameras etc. cheeky sods then just sat there for the rest of the journey as if they hadn't been doing anything wrong and then when police were called at the bangkok end denied the whole thing.

Any where else, that would be amazing.

When I first visited Thailand in 2006, my partner (Who lives there) and I traveled by bus to Krabi and he had told of an occurrence like this in which the driver and stagehands had pumped fentanyl into the cabin to put everyone to sleep first. Luckily, we didn't experience this but it certainly gives one pause to travel anywhere in the country by bus. Certainly, the theft alone would leave a bad taste in your mouth but to have the authorities not pursue the case especially when they know who did it is not something that reflects very well on the country. Personally, I think this should be taken up with no less than the King and Queen for in lieu of what is happening with PAD, the bombings, etc., it will likely have an effect on tourism at a time when the economy can ill-afford it. :o

Thankfully, no one was injured.

They probably took the stuff from luggage compartment rather than from "carry on", people would have no idea what was going on.

My condolences to the folks who lost their valuables... Very very sad indeed! Thai bus service is not 1st world by any stretch...

Same reason why I never ever use that group luggage compartment if I can help it... The more I think about it... Taking the bus sucks... Too slow, too uncomfortable... If I am really travelling, I would rather fly to my destination and minimize the amount of time I am at a Thai bus driver's mercy... Frankly, I would rather rent a car and drive myself if that option is available...

BTW, I just remembered my last bus trip... I was the last passenger to exit the bus... The driver actually closed the door on my chest as I was walking down the stairs... I had to YELL at him to get his attention to release the door! (No... Of course there was not any automatic door release when a person was being crushed by the door!) The driver was too busy talking with his helper rather than paying attention to a paying passenger...! Luckily, I am a stout, strong and stubborn type... If I was smaller he might have broken some ribs with that dam_n automatic door -- which the driver activated!

After the driver's quick automatic apology and fake laugh -- his eyes were glazed over -- either from fatigue or drugs or both! I decided to talk with him a bit more -- in Thai... I grabbed his his shoulder firmly and said slowly and clearly in Thai:

"You should be more careful than that... You don't know -- I might just decide to kill you!" You should have seen his eyes then!

That woke him up out of his stupor and then I left -- laughing at HIM now...

Caveat emptor when it comes to travelling cheap in the Land of Smiles -- you might not be smiling after your economy travel!

:o

I dont think this would be very rewarding for the thieves if the bus company was in on it. The victims are likely to have inflated the value of the items stolen from them if they can expect compensation, be it from the bus company or an insurance. Also in case of electronics the resale value is certainly below the original price at which they were purchased.

As for the incentives the government has to make an example of the thugs (btw imo it was more a theft than a robbery, as robbery requires the use of force/violence/coercion needs to be involved), the government would probably rather have tourists travelling by airplane, also the government has their own bus sevices, has it not? So it shouldnt hurt them if their competitors appear to be screwing their customers.

Edited by Bastian

For years now on other websites (particularly the backpacker oriented ones, if not this one) people have reported thefts on private buses.

Why on earth anyone seems to think it is necessary to book a "package" on Khao Saan Road of all places is beyond me.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I have never heard of this sort of thing happening on the scheduled Govt run transport system.

So to all those who are new to this country; Thailand is still very safe and relatively crime free but you increase the risk by dealing with some of the "agents" who prey on vulnerable tourists.

Travel on scheduled Thai transport like Thais and I am sure you will have no problems.

a very reasoned reply. :o

good nick, btw... :D

This news exemplifies the strong negative attitude Thai's have for Farangs and the "Get What You Can" attitude underlying with many tourist related services. This should be shared with as wide a group of tourists as possible to thwart the continued use of the tourism companies.

Maybe groups should hire a car and learn how to avoid these companies entirely.

If the Thai's working in these service companies are slicing their own throats and do not know it - then let it be - allow them to take away their own jobs and earnings from tourism. There has been murders of tourists for only a few baht. Extreme violence at many tourist destinations across Thailand.

Tourism accounts for 28% of the national income per year. Noticeable decreases in the amount of tourists visiting has been evident for quite some time now. The many tourist worker's actions are already having a profound effect on the earning potential of the Thai tourism workers and NOW IT'S SHOWING WITH THEM ROBBING BUS LOADS OF TOURISTS.

There is much more to this story than is being released to the public. This was an opportunistic crime with roots in planned and organized robberies - this will certainly not be the last - as as many have mentioned on this forum - this activity is fueled and perpetuated by this news coverage and the slack actions by the Thai police.

TAT is not publicizing its statistics for the DROP in tourism. This DROP indicates to many tourists of a deeper problem here in Thailand and will have them choosing other destinations to vacation.

Those of us who live here will certainly suffer from being the only ones left exposed to these bandits. Possibly being the only prey they will have remaining as the tourists numbers decline more and more each day.

Also, if you put your laptop, game, wallet, etc under the bus or ANYWHERE where you can't feel it being taken from you, well then you deserve what happens to you. Travel safe and use common sense.

Yes, and women who wear skirts deserve to be raped.

Because crime is ok if you pick a victim who doesn't use every tactic possible to defend himself.

All people should devote their entire conscious stream of thought to predicting how criminals will behave, and devote all their energy to stopping them. Otherwise, the victims should just be shot, for being awful people. Sawm naam f*king naa!

The worst thing is, with these type of products you cannot put a value. All the pictures taken of the holiday so far, if like me pics of my family go way back, I hardly ever back-up my files. I use to keep all my Software disks with my lap-top, when it was stollen so was all my legal and illegal software. Replacing the lap-top is easy, once money is paid but not all your work, memories, etc. Then there is the fact that lap-tops are relied on so much while travelling, hotel bookings, communication, planned itinerary, etc. what a stressful mess these weiry travellers must be feeling. All because there are so many selfish b@st@rds out there that just don't give a $hit.

Some years back I remembered tour bus company take snap shots with camera when all the passengers on board before the bus leave the station. Understand they did it is to deter robbery on board. But now its the crew not passenger, its disgusting.

Agreed, one of the reasons I prefer to bike all over Thailand, it might be a bit slower on long distance, but you are master of your own destiny.

Nevertheless the story is a shocker.

Stories like this confirm that Thais are getting desperate.

I'd be interested to know exactly how much compensation was given, as usually only cash is covered and the items may need to be claimed back via travel insurance.

This has been going on for years, the Thais call them bus 30.

They operate for tourists and there are about 3 companies going between Chiang Mai-BKK

People book as a package, probably including some accommodation.

The fact that the tickets are often below market price should be a clue, but when you are tourist travelling between countries you wouldn't be aware of that.

These companies should have been shut down years ago but when you consider that funds from these have probably contributed to the remodelling of certain parts of Khaosan and put a lot of money in peoples pockets, it is probably not going to happen soon.

I remember someone telling me that the latest scam was to put sleeping gas through the A/C system. I thought they were being a bit paranoid but maybe they were correct!

150,000 baht from 7 bags? 3400 Euro, $4400. Not much of a theft. Sure it sucks, but hardly a catastrophe. Probably took all of 10 minutes. Doesn't seem worth it.

Good job on converting the currency, but that's hardly what it's all about. The fact is, their shit was stolen and they no longer have it, many of the things necessary for a good vacation, I'm sure, and whether or not it's compensated in full doesn't take back the fact that their belongings are gone forever. They can buy stuff with cash, later, but as for now, they're screwed and will forever know Thailand as an awful country full of swindlers...sad this is, as we all know that's exactly what it is normally not. And how is it not worth it for the thieves? I'm sure these guys got away with some cool stuff and it's highly unlikely they'll be prosecuted...

Also, for anyone wondering how the people were fleeced without awakening, I'm pretty sure the stuff stolen was from whatever luggage they put on the roof, for we know that's how most of the mini-buses and sang taew's like to do things...rain or shine.

Whenever possible, I prefer to take the train. Decent price, on board eatery and a reasonably comfortable sleep. It's slow (Suratthani to Bkk: 12 hours). And I've met some really friendly Thais on the journey and ended up having a conversations about Thailand and the world in general. I recommend the train.

150,000 baht from 7 bags? 3400 Euro, $4400. Not much of a theft. Sure it sucks, but hardly a catastrophe. Probably took all of 10 minutes. Doesn't seem worth it.

Good job on converting the currency, but that's hardly what it's all about. The fact is, their shit was stolen and they no longer have it, many of the things necessary for a good vacation, I'm sure, and whether or not it's compensated in full doesn't take back the fact that their belongings are gone forever. They can buy stuff with cash, later, but as for now, they're screwed and will forever know Thailand as an awful country full of swindlers...sad this is, as we all know that's exactly what it is normally not. And how is it not worth it for the thieves? I'm sure these guys got away with some cool stuff and it's highly unlikely they'll be prosecuted...

Also, for anyone wondering how the people were fleeced without awakening, I'm pretty sure the stuff stolen was from whatever luggage they put on the roof, for we know that's how most of the mini-buses and sang taew's like to do things...rain or shine.

Dunno why i was thinking of a mini bus...the fact that it was a regular tour bus makes it even easier...you never hear anything goign on down below/outside when you're up there trying to sleep with that cold air and often awful music/video.

Apparently someone is lacking some brain cells (if having any at all). What a moronic thing to say.....

Wow, perhaps you should have read the comment he was quoting, but I suppose you did and that's why you left it out, so people would think that was all he said without any sort of justification...what a spin job you did. He was being entirely and blatantly sarcastic because some guy was saying that the people got what they deserved due to the fact that they didn't take every single possible precaution beforehand.

For years now on other websites (particularly the backpacker oriented ones, if not this one) people have reported thefts on private buses.

Why on earth anyone seems to think it is necessary to book a "package" on Khao Saan Road of all places is beyond me.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I have never heard of this sort of thing happening on the scheduled Govt run transport system.

So to all those who are new to this country; Thailand is still very safe and relatively crime free but you increase the risk by dealing with some of the "agents" who prey on vulnerable tourists.

Travel on scheduled Thai transport like Thais and I am sure you will have no problems.

It's so funny how many people on here are blaming the poor tourists for all this, just because they didn't know they shouldn't have booked on Khao San Road, which, by the way is complete and utter bullshit. I lived in Thailand for 4 years, just moved to NYC recently, and I took well over a dozen trips through companies there because of the low price...I also took govt buses, but I didn't care for how big of dicks they often were to farangs for no reason, so I stopped after a few runs. I like how people are so in the KNOW as if this could never happen to them...well, good luck with that...

Im just waiting for all the thai defenders coming over the hill shouting " oh this can happen in the USA UK etc blah blah blah ! :o:D

Wheee, that was some climb up, now i am back down the hill.................I say..........to all those that knock Thailand, do you not realise worse things happen in the US, UK, etc, blah, blah, blah.

at least they still had the clothes they were standing in.

555 5555 55555555555

Edited by tmd5855

Apparently someone is lacking some brain cells (if having any at all). What a moronic thing to say.....

I would put it right up there with saying that the people who were robbed deserved it. Wouldn't you?

Read my post again, in context. Then stop. Then think, before posting, this time.

Go back and read the post again. Even you can't fail to miss the sarcasm in there. :o

I apologize to AJC1970 for reading the post out of context since my eyes (and brain) didn't quite see the meaning as intended to be conveyed having read it the way it was written. My sincere apologies... I didn't see it as sarcasm only a statement. Whereas perhaps if it was written like:

'And I suppose you agree that all women who wear skirts are deserving to be raped?' Then I would have understood the thinking more logical rather than starting out 'yes' as if being in agreement to the previous poster.... (I'll try better the next time to 'read between the written words')...again, sorry...