Cattle Egret Migration

I live in Ubon, and we get Cattle Egrets (Bubulcus ibis) at various times of the year. I think they migrate from Russia(?) to southern breeding grounds (where?) and pass by us (when? I honestly can't say I've noted it in my diary).

Usually when they come, they are, as would be expected, in large numbers. We now have one male, in breeding plumage (at least he has the ruddy coloured neck area), who is hanging around in a fruit tree by our house, alone. He makes a bit of noise too, Kraaaak Kraaak, when I join him for my morning coffee.

Has he been left behind? Perhaps sick or injured, and couldn't keep up? Or is this normal? Do we need to provide any special food for him if he is stranded here until his mates next swing by? What is their migration pattern? (Didn't find much help on the internet, it was all Euro- or Amer- centric).

Our house is isolated amongst rice fields, with trees around the house.

Thanks for any information,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Cattle Egrets are actually resident in parts of Thailand. However, there is indeed a huge influx in Winter months, starting from around late September (at least here in Southern Vietnam). The y do not move to Southern breeding grounds as they actually breed in summer, but rather come in from colder climes (not Russia though, as they do not reach that far North). At a guess, a large number are from China, where they are widespread and reach as far North as Beijing.

I would leave "your" bird alone, as long as it is not obviously injured.

Hi Mike,

Cattle Egrets are actually resident in parts of Thailand. However, there is indeed a huge influx in Winter months, starting from around late September (at least here in Southern Vietnam). The y do not move to Southern breeding grounds as they actually breed in summer, but rather come in from colder climes (not Russia though, as they do not reach that far North). At a guess, a large number are from China, where they are widespread and reach as far North as Beijing.

I would leave "your" bird alone, as long as it is not obviously injured.

Hi Hanno,

I wasn't intending to interfere with him, but migration is for a reason, and whatever food he wants might be in short supply here over the dry season. For that reason I am prepared to leave food out for him if necessary. He doesn't seem injured, and if he moves on by himself so much the better. Egrets usually stay in the fields away from the house, and it is unusual (for us anyway) to have one come so close to the house (he sits 3 to 4 metres from me in the morning).

Thanks for the info.

Goshawk, I can't get a photo of this chap, as he sits in the midst of the tree foliage, silhouetted against the morning sun. If I walk around the other side my feet will get muddy :-)

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Again, I wouldn't worry too much (and wasn't implying that you'd "interfere", Cattle Egrets normally handle dry season pretty well. We have heaps here where I live and it is really one of the drier places in Vietnam; they seem to do OK;-)

we get tons in israel; we are on a migratory path for tons of birds; the egrets that stick around are often younger and maybe got tired, and couldnt keep up; we have a few that stayed all year (food supply, friends stuck around, who knows).. . we have many types that stop in the hula valley and then continue on... not sure what kinds specifically cant remember... but we saw them this past september on a nature trip...

they especially like to hang around the harvest combines and all terrain vehicles that go thru the fields; all the bugs get raked up so its like free food heaven...

we have pics somewhere not sure where....

bina

israel