Rats in Silom

JoeyMac

Any metro the size of Krung Thep with 10M population and especially an open sewer system is going to have a few more rats than some would like.  

Add the Buddhism thinking of live and let live, and you'll definitely see them around town.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

Rats have always been an issue in Bangkok, but i have to say for Rats the Silom area has to be the Capital city and luxury zone to be. If you are a rat, and you end up in this area it's like your Beverly Hills. 

Which immaculate city do you come from that puts you in such a position to bash Bangkok so much?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

19 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

Rats have always been an issue in Bangkok, but i have to say for Rats the Silom area has to be the Capital city and luxury zone to be. If you are a rat, and you end up in this area it's like your Beverly Hills. 

Around Silom, you have no bars on any of the drains and sewers down the side of the paths so you have free access to come and go. 

You have black bags just thrown in the streets, full of waste food for the sporadic times the bin collection come. 

Silom has not returned to it's pre pandemic busy nightlife, so you have less predators and human feet walking around to disturb you. 

Rats are so big and fat, that even that even the cats stay away from them. Literally no where else in the world have i seen rats this large. 

Criminally you get idiots that open up the black bags, or if they are left in cages they break them open (i assume looking for recyclables), and just leave the litter everywhere. 

When i return home in the evenings you see rats, with impunity, no s*its given, the size of cats going through the rubbish, you can actually see their teeth just cutting through the bags, going into a feeding frenzy, jumping up and down, running amock. We have to literally cross roads when you see piles of rubbish as you know their will be rats in it. 

You don't fear a mugging at night, but with the lights dim you fear at any minute a swarm of rats is going to be all over you. 

Nothing is done to tackle this. At a bare minimum the local authorities surely need to do something better than just having local businesses thrown their rubbishes out on the street in black bags. 7/11 are the worst offenders, but they did attempt to put some cages out infront of their stores for some control, but they are just ripped open by locals. 

spacer.png

Poison is the obvious way forward, would get rid of the rats and the dogs too, relatively cheap as well. can't understand why they aren't already doing that 

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Poison is the obvious way forward, would get rid of the rats and the dogs too, relatively cheap as well. can't understand why they aren't already doing that 

Dead rats en masse would present a health hazard. They need to be captured first.

14 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

How long is it before your type learns that interfering with nature is never a way forward. It ALWAYS comes with unexpected and unpleasant consequences. For every complex problem there is  a simple answer, and it is always wrong. Grow some brain cells. Rats are parasitic on human detritus, get used to it, it's nature. Put free food all over the place and rats will come, as well as other animals like foxes in then UK, bears in Canada and Russia, even tigers in India. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Dead rats en masse would present a health hazard. They need to be captured first.

In NYC they use all means available. They put out poison pellets, fill rat boroughs with dry ice, concrete, dirt, and other materiel, and volunteers use their dogs (terriers) to catch them at night. Only the dogs actually capture them. The other methods they use kill and/or burry them on the spot. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Someone told me that the rat population was previously "held in check" by large snakes.

But then the city made a concerted effort to remove said snakes, and the rat population exploded.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, retarius said:

How long is it before your type learns that interfering with nature is never a way forward. It ALWAYS comes with unexpected and unpleasant consequences. For every complex problem there is  a simple answer, and it is always wrong. Grow some brain cells. Rats are parasitic on human detritus, get used to it, it's nature. Put free food all over the place and rats will come, as well as other animals like foxes in then UK, bears in Canada and Russia, even tigers in India. 

How long before your type understand that interfering in nature is the basis of our existence from building dams to animal husbandry, grow some brain matter yourself. Every action has consequences it a mark of intelligence how those consequences are managed.  Put free food down and rats will come, that is so obvious even you worked it out.  how is it difficult  for you to understand that if that food is laced with poison the rats that eat it will die.     The consequence of which is dead rats,  the obvious way to deal with that is to  burn the corpses.  Of course the initial way should be to remove the rubbish in the first place  but if that is not an option then poison is the next step

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

How long before your type understand that interfering in nature is the basis of our existence from building dams to animal husbandry, grow some brain matter yourself. Every action has consequences it a mark of intelligence how those consequences are managed.  Put free food down and rats will come, that is so obvious even you worked it out.  how is it difficult  for you to understand that if that food is laced with poison the rats that eat it will die.     The consequence of which is dead rats,  the obvious way to deal with that is to  burn the corpses.  Of course the initial way should be to remove the rubbish in the first place  but if that is not an option then poison is the next step

Where do you think rats go to die when they are dying from warfarin?

34 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Live rats en masse  are also a health hazard,  they obviously need to be removed, i have no intention of being dragged into the technicalities of which is the most effective cull strategy, anything is preferable to the current situation.   

Another idea would be to employ rat catchers   paid by the number of heads or tails they can deliver 

• Like 2

Live rats en masse  are also a health hazard,  they obviously need to be removed, i have no intention of being dragged into the technicalities of which is the most effective cull strategy, anything is preferable to the current situation.   

Another idea would be to employ rat catchers   paid by the number of heads or tails they can deliver 

agreed. My unstated point was that rats go to water when dying of warfarin and that means drains where they could not be retrieved easily

Edited by ozimoron

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Where do you think rats go to die when they are dying from warfarin?

I have absolutely no idea, rat hospital perhaps,  who said it had to be warfarin anyway?   I'm sure there must be other alternatives. 

I have absolutely no idea, rat hospital perhaps,  who said it had to be warfarin anyway?   I'm sure there must be other alternatives. 

I edited my post. All commercial rat poisons are warfarin as far as I know.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

agreed

well we finally agree on something, So whilst I am on a roll, How would you feel about bringing in some issaan lads or girls for that matter , many are experienced ratters and a crack shot with their catapults,  as long as they are taught not to eat their catch or take it home what could possibly go wrong. Might not make a serious dent in the rat population  but every little helps

• Like 1

When I was young, King Rat was a book I enjoyed.

Also, I wonder if rats might be good if we harvested them for hog feed, or some other positive use.

Rats are hardy and adaptable.

They live almost everywhere, other than the poles of the the Earth.

Rats are the first to leave a sinking ship.

Therefore, if the rats have not yet left, then this might be considered a very positive sign.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I edited my post. All commercial rat poisons are warfarin as far as I know.

Fair enough warfarin it is , i really don't have a preference,  Contrary to my other post shooting them is in reality a non starter,  some sort of plague has possibilities though, like myxomatosis although I believe rats quickly become immune to many diseases 

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Also, I wonder if rats might be good if we harvested them for hog feed, or some other positive use.

Therefore, if the rats have not yet left, then this might be considered a very positive sign.

Yeah, I miss the bubonic plague. Good times.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

perhaps it signifies that we may not be on a ship ?    Few would consider an infestation of rats as positive  

Fair enough warfarin it is , i really don't have a preference,  Contrary to my other post shooting them is in reality a non starter,  some sort of plague has possibilities though, like myxomatosis although I believe rats quickly become immune to many diseases 

Even rabbits developed a resistance to myxomatosis. Rats are too close to humans to find a rat specific virus although I think but I might be totally wrong on that point.  Catching and killing them is the only viable solution.

Just now, Bday Prang said:

Did that actually kill the rats ?  I thought it was passed on  by their fleas

I think you are right and I don't think it did kill rats. If they don't control them now the bubonic plague could be our next big disease problem.

Just now, ozimoron said:

Even rabbits developed a resistance to myxomatosis. Rats are too close to humans to find a rat specific virus although I think but I might be totally wrong on that point.  Catching and killing them is the only viable solution.

So the only viable option is good old fashioned hard work.  The Thais are capable of this, but the management of the operation needs to be placed in the hands of a private company , there may be opportunities for corruption, but I'd prefer it not to become the responsibility of the local administration, ( who are after all equally corrupt but less performance orientated)

13 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

FFS, always the pesky whimsical babbling poet. You didn't post anything for over 24 hours and I took it as a positive omen. Now you come roaring back, just like the rats that are seemingly impossibly to get rid of. 🤦🏾‍♂️

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I think you are right and I don't think it did kill rats. If they don't control them now the bubonic plague could be our next big disease problem.

A valid and somewhat worrying scenario I stopped short of using the word inevitable   Apparently there is a vaccine but its only available for those in high risk occupations, treatment is by antibiotics,  not sure how effective it is.  The only way to avoid it is to avoid exposure to it ,  It would be catastrophic if it took hold. Still a few cases a year in America apparently  

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which immaculate city do you come from that puts you in such a position to bash Bangkok so much?

Well lou with a name like "Joey Mac"  it could be somewhere we both know

I don't think that our forum names are any indication of our roots.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, retarius said:

yes ,  but that doesn't make it right   ....  it's not natural that they are here in their millions because man created that problem by giving them a nice cosy environment,  they need to be eliminated with poison or gas or whatever .....   but there must be  10,000,000 in Bangkok alone. 

and if they didn't stop the fox hunts in the UK they wouldn't have a problem,  and I'm sure there's not 1,000,000 bears making problem in Canada and Russia,  and Tigers are encroaching into villages because their habitat is getting smaller and smaller. 

• Sad 1