Pad Announcement To The International Press

sabaijai

The PAD wants to replace Thailand's one-man, one-vote system with one in which some representatives are chosen by professions and social groups rather than the general electorate.

Source: Here

So does this sound like a Democracy to you? They know PPP cannot be beaten on a electoral ballot, their support in the rural areas is (still) too strong, so they want to change the system into a non-democratic system so that they can have more control over who governs the country...

P.A.D

People Against Democracy

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You stick with what u elected for better or worse

The government that works for Thaksin instead of the country is guilty of treason, it doesn't matter if it was elected or not - it's not fit to govern. Exactly the same argument I typed a million times in Thaksin days - you can't hold elections to whitewash your personal run-ins with the criminal law.

Conversely - should the govt decide to serve the country instead of Thaksin, PAD will have no reasons to protest any further. In fact that was a general idea when Samak was forced out - new start, negotiations with PAD, the country moves forward.

Didn't happen, pro-Thaksin agenda has been pushed forward while all other government matters are put on backburner.

Plus, it's evident from many of your posts that you follow events closely and are well-informed. So, when I consider why you consistently omit any mention of what the Thai courts have been doing to tackle the very issues that you and your PAD fellow-thinkers are so exercised about, then I have to conclude that it's a conscious and political decision on your part to leave it out of the equation. It was a Thai court that removed Samak - not PAD. It is Thai courts that have already disqualified PPP and other MP's, found against Thaksin/wife & co etc - and continue to consider further more significant charges. If the PPP government did succeed in "fixing" the constitution (a la Berlusconi) to prevent the courts from continuing the process that is already under way, then PAD could expect a more significant part of the general population to back them - and not just the self-serving elite. But that wouldn't suit the purposes of that same elite - probably giving the great unwashed ideas above their station........... which would never do, would it?

Watching you (and others) select, edit, twist and turn the facts reminds me of months of watching Democrat & Republican spokespeople doing the same during the US presidential primary and general elections - not that there's any shortage of the same in my own country of origin (UK) and elsewhere. But your kind of approach is anything but helpful in trying to consider objectively (let alone resolve) a complex and messy situation in which none of the Thai participants (politicians or armed forces) exactly shines with honour, altruism and foresight.

For the sake of balance - and not intended as a comfort to you - I'll add that something similar can be said of some of the more gung-ho anti-PAD contributors on here.

Democracy won't work in Thailand if Thaksin is around, because all the poor care about is the money. That is why if Thaksin bribe them, Thaksin's party will win forever. That is his goal, to have total power...and more. I understand why people dissaprove of the PAD view, because it is moving away from Democracy. I think thats the only way to it for the time being, or else the country will be in a stand still, not being able to progressive to a true democracy and rid of all the corrupted people.

I agree with what Tolley said, the political system needs a total overhaul, but Thaksin still has to go since he has too much influence at the moment and he is the root problem that is why people are so focused about him. Thailand needs to take a couple of steps back inorder to move forward again. So keep your minds open about it.

Whats at stake is not just the democracy...thats what local thai people are saying

Whatever all the opinionated farang think, it's interesting to not that ALL of my educated friends in Bangkok (Overseas MBA's, Executive level positions in BKK etc.) support the PAD. If it was so black and white like some of you make it out to be, I don't think PAD would capture the hearts and minds of such people.

Have you read Pantip.com website recently? I presume you can read Thai as you refer to Thaivisa posters as "opinionated farang". One of the highest traffic Thai based web boards and there is very little love for PAD there. You can sit there and believe that PAD has mass support over Bangkok, but very few Thai's i have spoken to support PAD anymore, a lot of people have lost faith in them, and this recent 'Terrorist' style move will diminish their support even further. Lets see if your executive level friends in Bangkok still support them when PAD cripple the countries economy and bring civil war to the streets of Bangkok.

And there in your post is the truth. They are a right wing, self appointed elitist mob. Thank you for pointing that out.

If there ever was a Thai Hitler it is Sondhi and there are very dangerous times that these supposed "educated Thais" are dragging the country into.

General BlancmangeApong has to answer for this as he emboldened them by letting the loose. They have tasted power now and thats what this is about for PAD.

God Help Thailand with Sondhi and BlancmangeApong in the positions they are in.

GodwinsLaw_CatPoster.jpg

Too many people are obsessed with Thaksin and see Thaksin as the devil incarnate.

As if getting rid of Thaksin will solve or change a lot of Thailands problems.

NOT stopping Thaksin would be a lot worse than any other scenario, and Thailand's structural problems would be very very far from the list of your concerns.

So, try to fix/overhaul the system all you like but Thaksin should be prevented from taking over the country at practically any cost.

It was a Thai court that removed Samak - not PAD. It is Thai courts that have already disqualified PPP and other MP's, found against Thaksin/wife & co etc

Yes, I'm aware of that, BUT, and this is a huge but - it was PAD who brought up Samak's case, it was PAD who brought up constitutionality of Preah Vihear communique up, and, most importantly, it was PAD that kept AEC investigations into Thaksin and his wife going. AEC would have been dismantled back in March if PAD hadn't stopped PPP's amendments in time.

I could even say that without PAD there would be no coup (no cause, and no popular support), and without the coup there would have been no investigations into Thaksin's corruption at all.

So, yes, the courts played their part, but there was a lot of groundwork laid before they were able to even consider the cases.

Current Attorney General appointed by Samak (AG is one of the accused himself) has dropped six Thaksin cases that AEC had to lodge with courts entirely on their own.

Airlines ponder options as blockade threatens hub status BOONSONG KOSITCHOTETHANA

The shutdown of Suvarnabhumi Airport by People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protesters is not only costing carriers billions of baht each day but also driving airlines away from operating through Thailand's gateway.

Bangkok's status as an air hub for Southeast Asia could be ruined as international airlines see Suvarnabhumi as an insecure port of call that may endanger their aircraft, assets and paralyse their daily operations.

Some may turn to Bangkok's rival airports such as Singapore's Changi Airport or Kuala Lumpur International, where security and incentives are not issues of concern.

"This turmoil will be remembered by airlines, and some may say they have had enough and go elsewhere," said Tassapon Bijleveld, chief executive of the low-cost carrier Thai AirAsia.

Air traffic through Thailand could slump anyway because of the ugly incident that has highlighted the absence of the rule of law, coupled with the worsening economic global recession.

cont.

Bangkok Post 27/11/2008

PAD's actions are destroying the Thai economy faster then any other previous incident. Factories, business, MICE, entertainment are all suffering dearly for this groups holding the country to ransom action. I hope the PAD leadership is made to pay in a big way for what they have done to the hundred of businesses reliant on airport links and the tourism industry. The PAD apologists on TV who support this group should be ashamed of themselves.

It was a Thai court that removed Samak - not PAD. It is Thai courts that have already disqualified PPP and other MP's, found against Thaksin/wife & co etc

Yes, I'm aware of that, BUT, and this is a huge but - it was PAD who brought up Samak's case, it was PAD who brought up constitutionality of Preah Vihear communique up, and, most importantly, it was PAD that kept AEC investigations into Thaksin and his wife going. AEC would have been dismantled back in March if PAD hadn't stopped PPP's amendments in time.

I could even say that without PAD there would be no coup (no cause, and no popular support), and without the coup there would have been no investigations into Thaksin's corruption at all.

So, yes, the courts played their part, but there was a lot of groundwork laid before they were able to even consider the cases.

Current Attorney General appointed by Samak (AG is one of the accused himself) has dropped six Thaksin cases that AEC had to lodge with courts entirely on their own.

True to your type, you present an opinion as fact. For the sake of argument and assuming that this opinion of yours has some basis in fact, if it was PAD that got the legal processes under way - why not let them run their course? Seems like the courts have been pretty successful thus far.

I note that you don't deny the rest of what I said.

True to your type, you present an opinion as fact. For the sake of argument and assuming that this opinion of yours has some basis in fact, if it was PAD that got the legal processes under way - why not let them run their course? Seems like the courts have been pretty successful thus far.

PAD and one lone senator lawyer were the first voices shouting about this bullshit.

Like it or not, Steve, this is from observation much less than opinion.

The problem currently is Thai justice is moving way too slow and

there is great fear the puppet government will retroactively re-write the laws to let themselves

and their backer/backers off scot free, and then VINDICTIVELY run the country.

In essence a executive and legislative coup of the judiciary,

retroactively absolving much of both branches leadership for crimes

before the judiciary can grind it's gears and ban them.

Worse they want to legislate away PAST crimes of their

PREVIOUS leadership and reinstate them.

Thus annulling judiciary descions and giving themselves carte blanche.

PAD has been an annoying but necessary evil to counter balance this greater evil.

I find PAD's general presense more and more distasteful,

but NOT scary as hel_l like the return of an all Thaksin controled vengeful government

with NO checks and balances at all.

This is the stark choice for the country right now. This week, today.

This IS what all this horrendous trouble is about.

It's not obsession with Thaksin, it's outright fear of him if he returns unfettered.

It has already been seen in the south how vindictive he is over not getting his way...

Edited by animatic

From TOC

People's Alliance Not Worried About Coup

UPDATE : 27 November 2008

Ruling MPs have vowed to disclose a list of companies that provide financial support for the anti-government protest by the People's Alliance for Democracy.

Meanwhile, a key leader of the anti-government group insists that the group is not worried about speculation of a military coup.

Two core leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy or PAD, Major General Chamlong Srimuang and Somsak Kosaisuk said at the rally site at Don Muang Airport that the anti-government group fears nothing, but declined to comment on speculations that the Army will stage a coup.

The PAD leaders insisted the group's stance against the government and charter revision will remain unchanged regardless what happens.

They said the person selected to run the country must be honest and sincere, so social reconciliation can commence.

Chamlong and Somsak also urged the Director of the Airports Authority of Thailand to help clarify to the people that the cause of the current economic downturn is not the PAD's blockade of airports, but the government's poor performance.

As for the court's injunction against the PAD's rally at Suvarnabhumi Airport, the PAD's core leader claimed they have yet to receive the court order, but said the group will appeal the ruling.

MPs from ruling coalition parties led by Pathumthani MP from the Chart Thai Party, Ekapod Panyaem, released a statement asking those opposed to the PAD rally and the military coup to wear red shirts to express their stance against such moves.

The group also advised the people to boycott products and services from the companies that back the PAD's movements.

Eakapoj said ruling MPs will disclose a list of people and companies that provide financial support for the PAD's moves soon.

True to your type, you present an opinion as fact. For the sake of argument and assuming that this opinion of yours has some basis in fact, if it was PAD that got the legal processes under way - why not let them run their course?

The charges WERE initiated by PAD members, it's not an opinion. First they talked about the cases on stage, then someone prepared information and filed the suits. Also the Ratchada case didn't exist for several years until someone, when PAD was in ascendancy, collected enought courage to leak Thaksin signed loan paper to the public. Thaksin denied any knowledge until then, and according to the law "no knowledge - no case".

Seems like the courts have been pretty successful thus far.

Partially.

Samak's case took eight months to complete and he subjected the country to so much crap before being unceremoniously booted out. Somchai is waiting for the court to accept Preah Vihear case, he should lose his job when it happens - I have not idea when, maybe next month, maybe next year. In the meantime PPP is working overtime to save theirs and Thaksin's asses.

It's almost a year after the elections and the result is still hanging in balance, if not for PAD, the case would have been thrown out already. Tomorrow the Constitution Court will announce trial schedule. PPP hopes that interviewing witnesses would take six months.

That kind of timetable is simply unacceptable. It would be ok if the govt was just ruling the country, but when it actively tries to overwrite the law that would boot it out - it's simply not fast enough.

I honestly thought it was tripe. Did I miss something?

I usually skip paragraphs that start with "true to your type bla bla bla".

True to your type, you present an opinion as fact. For the sake of argument and assuming that this opinion of yours has some basis in fact, if it was PAD that got the legal processes under way - why not let them run their course?

The charges WERE initiated by PAD members, it's not an opinion. First they talked about the cases on stage, then someone prepared information and filed the suits. Also the Ratchada case didn't exist for several years until someone, when PAD was in ascendancy, collected enought courage to leak Thaksin signed loan paper to the public. Thaksin denied any knowledge until then, and according to the law "no knowledge - no case".

Seems like the courts have been pretty successful thus far.

Partially.

Samak's case took eight months to complete and he subjected the country to so much crap before being unceremoniously booted out. Somchai is waiting for the court to accept Preah Vihear case, he should lose his job when it happens - I have not idea when, maybe next month, maybe next year. In the meantime PPP is working overtime to save theirs and Thaksin's asses.

It's almost a year after the elections and the result is still hanging in balance, if not for PAD, the case would have been thrown out already. Tomorrow the Constitution Court will announce trial schedule. PPP hopes that interviewing witnesses would take six months.

That kind of timetable is simply unacceptable. It would be ok if the govt was just ruling the country, but when it actively tries to overwrite the law that would boot it out - it's simply not fast enough.

I honestly thought it was tripe. Did I miss something?

I usually skip paragraphs that start with "true to your type bla bla bla".

Yes, a lot - including the key (and, to you, inconvenient) point in my first paragraph ............ but nothing compared to what you show yourself to have missed elsewhere. "None so blind as will not see". I appreciate that you must be rushed off your feet darting from thread to thread to spread more of your distortions, so here it is again for you:

If the PPP government did succeed in "fixing" the constitution (a la Berlusconi) to prevent the courts from continuing the process that is already under way, then PAD could expect a more significant part of the general population to back them - and not just the self-serving elite. But that wouldn't suit the purposes of that same elite - probably giving the great unwashed ideas above their station........... which would never do, would it?

From TOC

People's Alliance Not Worried About Coup

UPDATE : 27 November 2008

Ruling MPs have vowed to disclose a list of companies that provide financial support for the anti-government protest by the People's Alliance for Democracy.

Chamlong and Somsak also urged the Director of the Airports Authority of Thailand to help clarify to the people that the cause of the current economic downturn is not the PAD's blockade of airports, but the government's poor performance.

As for the court's injunction against the PAD's rally at Suvarnabhumi Airport, the PAD's core leader claimed they have yet to receive the court order, but said the group will appeal the ruling.

MPs from ruling coalition parties led by Pathumthani MP from the Chart Thai Party, Ekapod Panyaem, released a statement asking those opposed to the PAD rally and the military coup to wear red shirts to express their stance against such moves.

The group also advised the people to boycott products and services from the companies that back the PAD's movements.

Eakapoj said ruling MPs will disclose a list of people and companies that provide financial support for the PAD's moves soon.

Lets have the list pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze. We can really get into them. I think he "Eakapoj" is presurising them to cut their backing of this idiot.

Its a big threat and if the army stage a coup and that list gets out!!!!! Will there ever be hel_l to pay. Can the army defend 20,000 business outlets and banks? I dont think so

Chamlong and Somsak really are whistling in the wind. Do they like jail food!

PAD and one lone senator lawyer were the first voices shouting about this bullshit.

Like it or not, Steve, this is from observation much less than opinion.

The problem currently is Thai justice is moving way too slow and

there is great fear the puppet government will retroactively re-write the laws to let themselves

and their backer/backers off scot free, and then VINDICTIVELY run the country.

In essence a executive and legislative coup of the judiciary,

retroactively absolving much of both branches leadership for crimes

before the judiciary can grind it's gears and ban them.

Worse they want to legislate away PAST crimes of their

PREVIOUS leadership and reinstate them.

Thus annulling judiciary descions and giving themselves carte blanche.

PAD has been an annoying but necessary evil to counter balance this greater evil.

I find PAD's general presense more and more distasteful,

but NOT scary as hel_l like the return of an all Thaksin controled vengeful government

with NO checks and balances at all.

This is the stark choice for the country right now. This week, today.

This IS what all this horrendous trouble is about.

It's not obsession with Thaksin, it's outright fear of him if he returns unfettered.

It has already been seen in the south how vindictive he is over not getting his way...

Hmmmm, the "straw man" argument is an old favourite, isn't it? "X is bad, but not as bad as Y - and we should all be so afraid of Y that we can/should put up with anything we get from X".

Answer me this:

If Thaksin could be so easily ousted while he was in full possession of the levers of state - what makes you think he could come back to power now that

- he/his wife are seen as indicted/convicted bail-jumpers

- a large slice of his political supporters are already excluded from politics for 5 years

- the PPP/ex-TRT party is faced with dissolution/exclusion from politics for 5 years

- his Army/Police placemen have been moved to posts where they have next to no potential to even influence events let alone act on his behalf

- a disproportionately powerful PAD rump would swell with greater popular support

etc etc etc

Of all these "evils", IMO by far the least is to allow the judicial process to run its course - albeit slowly and imperfectly. All the alternatives, IMO, a] don't resolve the situation and b] stack up greater evils for the future.

This opinion piece from today's Bangkok Post (already quoted on the forum by another member but it bears repeating) sums it up very well:

The PAD is bent on creating the conditions of ungovernability and then to demand the ouster of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat on grounds that Thailand is ungovernable.

Its tactics have warped into a blatant street campaign of intimidation and fear, of coercion and force.

That the PAD has come this far in its thuggish ways is attributable to its powerful backing, without which its relative impunity in the face of flagrant violations of the law can hardly be explained.

The PAD's latest antic at Suvarnabhumi airport will likely narrow its support base, especially in Bangkok as the capital reels from the longer-term impact of the airport closure to business confidence, but its remaining columns will still be deep in their resolve to get their way.

What the PAD wants has not changed. After an unsuccessful bid under the guise of the so-called "new politics," it first demanded the ouster of former prime minister Samak Sundaravej earlier this year, and it is now after Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

To reach its endgame, the PAD has to clear the slate of government, led by the People Power party. As a result, the PAD has bayed for blood, openly inviting a military coup in order to bring up an interim arrangement.

This would allow the PAD to either rewrite the current constitution or come up with an entirely new charter. Its ultimate objective is to fashion the rules of the democratic game to guarantee elite representation in the elected parliament through partial appointments.

Its logic is simple. A one-man, one-vote democratic system will indefinitely return the same parliamentary faces with a similar populist policy agenda that has appealed to the vast majority of the electorate in the Northeast and North, who voted for deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his disbanded Thai Rak Thai party for six years and for Mr Samak and Mr Somchai and PPP more recently.

Unsurprisingly, the PAD has openly shown disdain for these rural constituencies as faceless and gullible vote-sellers who should not be counted on equal terms with the PAD's urban minority in Thailand's electorate.

But the PAD faces a daunting uphill task in resetting the political environment and realising its anti-democratic agenda.

Somehow it would have to dislodge the PPP and perhaps its successor Puea Thai party from elected power, and to keep them out.

The PAD would then have to force an interim period during which its cadres would assert themselves in charter alterations. In an age when democratic rule is an emerging norm of the international community, when information is more widely accessible due to new technologies, any anti-democratic movement will be hard-pressed to get away with elite dominance.

Yet the PAD has shown that it is willing to go all the way.

It is willing to hold Thailand captive by disrupting airport operations, and to even cause an international embarrassment as Thailand gears up for its chairmanship of the Asean and East Asia summits in Chiang Mai next month.

Only its backers can pull the plug on the PAD but they may now be too insecure and paranoid to go back.

The longer this crisis goes on, the more exposed and compromised the PAD's backers have become.

And the PAD is continually dragging them down to the cut-and-thrust of Thai politics to their own detriment.

While the stakes are high, with wide and deep longer-term damages, it is not too late for the PAD's backers to rein in this rabid and reckless movement or to pull its plug altogether.

The ultimate danger for the PAD on the one hand and for Thailand on the other is not from the government, army or police - but from the red shirts banded under the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship.

Capable of a corresponding sort of mob violence, these UDD red shirts have decidedly displayed patience, order and restraint in their recent mass rallies, in deliberate contrast to the PAD's open incitement of violence and gross distortions of information. Widespread civil strife would be the outcome in the event the UDD turns on the PAD in full force.

A House dissolution, as proposed by army chief General Anupong Paojinda, is a release valve from such a UDD-PAD clash.

Although it would not resolve Thailand's urban-rural structural crisis in the long term, a new slate through new elections would buy time for the various protagonists to come to their senses and for Thai voters to have a say after a year of turmoil and volatility.

It is an option which Prime Minister Somchai should not dismiss out of hand for self-righteous reasons, especially if he is confident of his party's - and successor party's - winning policy platform.

The same goes for the People's Alliance for Democracy - if it still claims to stand for the Thai people.

(Thitinan Pongsudhirak - Director of the Institute of Security and International Studies, Faculty of Political Science, Chulalongkorn University)

NB - While he may be right about UDD's display of "patience, order and restraint in their recent mass rallies", he neglects to mention that they (like PAD) also have their own thug element on the fringe - elements that will only grow in numbers and effect as the leaders of both factions escalate their rhetoric and provocation.

Hmmmm, the "straw man" argument is an old favourite, isn't it? "X is bad, but not as bad as Y - and we should all be so afraid of Y that we can/should put up with anything we get from X".

Hope you are not trying to say that the quote after your question mark is an example of a straw man attack, as it is not.

Regarding if Thaksin could come back and be PM again: Ofcourse it is theoretically possible. Especially if his crime is somehow granted some odd form of pardon and/or immunity from all other charges and his fellow banned TRT members have their ban lifted- as the current government tries to work towards.

This cannot be allowed.

Hope you are not trying to say that the quote after your question mark is an example of a straw man attack, as it is not.

Regarding if Thaksin could come back and be PM again: Ofcourse it is theoretically possible. Especially if his crime is somehow granted some odd form of pardon and/or immunity from all other charges and his fellow banned TRT members have their ban lifted- as the current government tries to work towards.

This cannot be allowed.

Granted - I mis-used the term. "Boogie man" is probably more appropriate for what's being done............. :D

"theoretically possible" - kind of like me winning the lottery jackpot? And the justification for all of this chaos derives from "theoretically possible" ? :o

Toxin is coming back. Be afraid, be very afraid. I am. He will be even nastier, more vindictive, and greedier than his first time as PM. Absolute power, dictator-for-life... He is salivating with power (and money) -lust even as we read and type. PAD tried hard, but memories of Toxin's first term are short, and now everyone is upset about this temporary airport closure. Never mind... We will have plenty of time to think about how it all went wrong in the next 20 years when Toxin enjoys his lifetime rule over Thailand.

Posts referencing the Royal family have been deleted.

From Thai Visa Forum Rules:

Discussion of topics concerning the King or other current or deceased members of the Thai Royal Family is forbidden.

More posts of this nature will reult in warnings and suspensions being issued.

It's a simple thing. Either you are in favor of democracy or you are not. A democratic system here in Thailand is very difficult because ALL the political parties are riddled with thieves and crooks. Bribery, kickbacks and actually buying influential jobs are a part of the culture and will not be eliminated quickly. Some of the ignorant farangs actually believe that eliminating one political party will stop corruption. It will NOT! You people are naive to the extreme. Children of powerful politicians and the politicians themselves are able to get away with actual murder.

It's a fact that power equates to money. Rich thieves are respected as well as feared by the majority of the people. It doesn't matter where or how they got their money. Things here actually go along pretty well as long as the rich get richer and the poor remain poor and ignorant. Big problems occur when the feed trough is shortened and those who have been shoved away from that trough get angry.

How could you possibly believe that appointed politicians will be honest? If the elite are permitted to appoint a government it will just be business as usual. The rich will get richer and the poor will remain as slaves to the elite. Destroying democracy simply will NOT work.

It's a simple thing. Either you are in favor of democracy or you are not. A democratic system here in Thailand is very difficult because ALL the political parties are riddled with thieves and crooks. Bribery, kickbacks and actually buying influential jobs are a part of the culture and will not be eliminated quickly. Some of the ignorant farangs actually believe that eliminating one political party will stop corruption. It will NOT! You people are naive to the extreme. Children of powerful politicians and the politicians themselves are able to get away with actual murder.

It's a fact that power equates to money. Rich thieves are respected as well as feared by the majority of the people. It doesn't matter where or how they got their money. Things here actually go along pretty well as long as the rich get richer and the poor remain poor and ignorant. Big problems occur when the feed trough is shortened and those who have been shoved away from that trough get angry.

How could you possibly believe that appointed politicians will be honest? If the elite are permitted to appoint a government it will just be business as usual. The rich will get richer and the poor will remain as slaves to the elite. Destroying democracy simply will NOT work.

:D:o