Compensation?

ITF

Like many, my flight has been canceled due to the occupation. Etiade is my airline. During my conversation with them, I brushed over the idea of financial compensation -- we are now obviously paying more for hotels/food/etc.

The idea was quickly shot down rightfully so -- they are not to blame.

Upon watching the news I have seen Suvar Airport is redirecting tourists to nearby hotels -- is this at tourist or airport expense?

Long story short, my question is - are we fully responsible for our stay financially or is there some recourse available?

try to speak to the menager of the airline airport operations or the office in town than an ordinary clerk in the airport - file a written complain and a claim of compensation.

of course they are not to blame, but they are the first instance to contact.

all routes flying to europe would give a compensation under the EU law

No Passenger is entitled to anything, be it refund, accommodation or food, unless the flight's destination is to or from the EU or is an EU carrier according to the EU Regulation for Airlines. (Just google it, was the first thing I did when my flight was canceled, however my flight does not fall under the EU regulation. :o ) All other destintations and non EU airlines have their own policies. My flight was with Gulf Air from Bahrain and they offered me a full refund or said I could postpone my flight. As soon as the airports open and their flights are a go, I would be notified.

It is strange you say that Etihad does not offer refund. They seem to be one of the top airlines, but they are right when they say its not their fault. Basically you are fully responsible for your costs. How was Etihad to know that PAD would shut down the airport. Had your flight been canceled due to technical problems, then Etihad would have compensated you for your extra costs as the fault lies directly with them.

You understand? Check out this page http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/etihad/...conditions.aspx

Gives you all their terms & conditions. Based on that you can find out whether you have a case against them or not! Hope it helps!

Regards

Martin

They have not declined a refund -- more so I did not bring that up with them as the tone of our original conversation was that they would be in contact as soon as something could be rescheduled. This led me (perhaps blindly) to believe tickets are not an issue. I did call them this evening but ran out of mobile time after 25 minutes on hold!

Alas - plane ticket was not the reason for my post, I was inquiring as to accommodation/cost of living compensation. An extra week in Thailand will certainly not cripple me financially, in fact we are thoroughly enjoying the extended stay. The post is just to inquire about options and to see what, if anything has been made available.

Thanks for the information, keep it coming if there is any to add - I'm surely not the only one with interest in this topic.

Edited by ITF

@ITF

Sorry for the confusion. When i said Etihad does not offer refund, I meant compensation. I am sure they offer refund, as Gulf Air offered to fully refund my ticket, but in terms of accommodation and cost of living compensation, the passenger is fully liable for these costs in non EU Airline Regulation jurisdiction. Unless Etihad's Term's and Conditions specifically state that due to a delay or cancellation, passengers will be accommodated and compensated for their delay. And once again the flight cancellation has nothing to do with the airlines themselves. Ya, I'm sure an extra week of Thailand won't cripple you, you can stay in hotels less than 500 Baht a night and eat noodle pork/chicken soup 3 times a day amount to about 100 Baht... Enjoy it while it lasts! I really wish I made it to Thailand before the airport shut down!

AirAsia will automatically give a credit to be used within 3 months.

The website also say something like, please don't contact us.

But I am not coming back within 3 months.

Looks like my money is down the drain.

http://www.airasia.com/site/my/en/page.jsp...=airportclosure

All affected guests will automatically receive credit shell which can be used for AirAsia flights. (valid for 3 months)

To make arrangements for your next flight to/from Bangkok, please proceed to the AirAsia Sales Counter at your respective airport of departure after the Bangkok airport has reopened. You may use your credit shell to obtain a seat on the next available flight to/from Bangkok. (subject to the reopening of Bangkok airport and availability of seats)

Please note that these arrangements do not require a contact with our Call Centre.

For Go Holiday customers, we are negotiating with the hotels and affected guests will be contacted for further notice.

For latest updates on AirAsia flights to/from Bangkok, please obtained the latest news from this page. AirAsia flights to/from Bangkok shall resume once the Suvarnabhumi International Airport reopens, subject to clearance from the Thai airport authority.

We regret any inconvenience caused.

all of the airlines are to blame. they have set up this system of world airports, where they all congregate together which means there is a central meeting point, which is clearly a magnet for protesters.

dont be fooled into thinking the rest of the world's protesters aren't watching. right now they are thinking, 'if they did it in bangkok, we can do it here'. i'm sure we will see airport takeovers in europe, like if rail workers want more money, they will take over the airport somewhere.

but what is sort of sad is the thai hotel workers that will lose their jobs cause tourists wont come to thailand. actually they are the ones getting punished the most. if some european tourist can afford an airline ticket, and they are delayed 3 or 4 days, it will cost them some time and money, but it wont change their life. the thai hotel workers out of a job will suffer the most. remember the nice lady who served you your morning coffee at the hotel breakfast? next month she may change careers and become a prostitute, or just be homeless, or become a janitor in a public school making 200 baht a day working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week.

tjhanks, PAD.

Edited by JerryO

AirAsia will automatically give a credit to be used within 3 months.

The website also say something like, please don't contact us.

But I am not coming back within 3 months.

Looks like my money is down the drain.

http://www.airasia.com/site/my/en/page.jsp...=airportclosure

All affected guests will automatically receive credit shell which can be used for AirAsia flights. (valid for 3 months)

To make arrangements for your next flight to/from Bangkok, please proceed to the AirAsia Sales Counter at your respective airport of departure after the Bangkok airport has reopened. You may use your credit shell to obtain a seat on the next available flight to/from Bangkok. (subject to the reopening of Bangkok airport and availability of seats)

Please note that these arrangements do not require a contact with our Call Centre.

For Go Holiday customers, we are negotiating with the hotels and affected guests will be contacted for further notice.

For latest updates on AirAsia flights to/from Bangkok, please obtained the latest news from this page. AirAsia flights to/from Bangkok shall resume once the Suvarnabhumi International Airport reopens, subject to clearance from the Thai airport authority.

We regret any inconvenience caused.

If you didnt opt out of the go insure travel policy (74 baht for domestic :o ) you are entitled to a full flight refund and 10k baht max per person per flight.. Between me and my GF due to hop through BKK this weekend we have 5 effected flights insured.. So I will be hitting AIG for a good chunk of change in insured disrupted travel plans and costs.

Just got an email, maybe George could sticky this.

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) provides assistance to the stranded passengers.

Bangkok, Thailand, 27 November, 2008 - Due to the Airports of Thailand (AoT)'s suspension of services at Suvarnabhumi International Airport, all inbound and outbound flights were cancelled since 04.00 hrs. during 25-26 November 2008, causing inconvenience to over 3,000 passengers. The stranded passengers who fly with THAI have been accommodated by Thai Airways International.

The Ministry of Tourism and Sports in cooperation with the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT), Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA) and Thai Hotels Association (THA) transferred the remaining stranded passengers to the following hotels:

1. Regent Suvarnabhumi Hotel

Address: 30/1 - 32/1 Soi Ladkrabung 22, Ladkrabung District, Bangkok 10520

Tel: +66 2 326 7138-43

Contact person: Khun Pitchaya (Tel: +66 81 255 4833)

2. Twin Towers Hotel

Address: 88 New Rama 6 Rd. Rongmuang, Pratumwan, Bangkok 10330

Tel: +66 2 216 9555-6

Contact person: Khun Nalinee (Tel: +66 85 075 9998)

Khun Watchirachai (Tel: +66 81 831 5554)

3. IBIS Hotel

Address: 5 Soi Ramkhamhaeng 15, Ramkhamhaeng Rd., Bangkok 10240

Tel: +66 2 308 7888

Contact person: Khun Duangkamol (Tel: +66 89 892 4851)

4. Eastin Hotel

Address: 1091/343 New Petchburi Road, Makkasan, Rajthevee, Bangkok 10400

Tel: +66 2 651 7600

E-mail: [email protected]

Contact person: Khun Isada (Tel: +66 81 692 1919)

Khun Niti (Tel: +66 81 207 0970)

5. The Centric Ratchada

Address: 502/29 Soi Yuchroen, Asoke-Dindaeng Road, Dindang, Bangkok 10400

Tel: +66 2 246 0909

6. Ambassador Hotel Bangkok

Address: 171 Sukhumvit Soi 11, Bangkok 10110

Tel: +66 2 254 0444

Besides the above, the Rose Garden Riverside Hotel at Petchkasem Road, Sampran, Nakhon Pathom (Tel: +66 34 322 544, +66 34 322 545, +66 34 322 588) has announced welcoming the stranded passengers stay with the hotel during 26-27 November 2008. Also, the Hotel Sofitel Centara Grand Bangkok at Phaholyothin Road has been welcoming their guests, who just checked out from the hotel and cannot fly to their home country due to the temporary closure of Suvarnabhumi International Airport, back to the hotel without charges.

On the basis of assistance, for tourists and travellers who cannot travel to their destination as of 25 November, 2008, till the airport reopens, TAT and Ministry of Tourism and Sports have provided accommodation and meals, as well as facilitated tourists as much as possible until they are able to return to their destination. For more information regarding accommodation, please contact the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA) ( Tel: +66 2 237 6064-8, +66 2 632 7400-2), as well as the following Hotlines:

- 1414 : Ministry of Tourism and Sports

- 1672 : Tourism Authority of Thailand

- 1155 : Tourist Police

On the other hand, for any tourist whose visa has expired since 26 November, 2008, till the airport reopens, there will be no penalty or charge for overstay from the Immigration Bureau. However, tourists must show their original tickets to avoid being charged.

International Public Relations Division, Tourism Authority of Thailand

Fax: +66 2 253 7419

For some clarification on the above post -- I am not staying in any of the above listed accommodations.

Does this exclude me from any/all assistance?

*EDIT* Are you sure the first number provided above is accurate? When I call it says invalid number.. (please contact the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA) ( Tel: +66 2 237 6064-8, +66 2 632 7400-2)) -- the 6064-8 #

Edited by ITF

Just read the fine print in our trave insurance and am worried about the following:

A. War (whether declared or not), invasion, act of foreign enemies, civil war, revolution, insurrection, civil commotion, popular rising against the government, riot, strike.

Yet, when I spoke to them on the phone about needing to start a claim because of whats going on, they were very helpfull in giving me all information about the process. I only hope that they continue to do so, as missing one flight from BKK has had a major ripple effect on hotels that have been paid for in advance, and also train tickets and other air tickets that are not refundable.

I've just checked with my insurance company and they told me I would not be covered. Anyone taking a new policy or travelling on an existing policy to Thailand will not be covered there untill UK govt ceases giving travel warnings or cautions to travellers going there.

've just checked with my insurance company and they told me I would not be covered. Anyone taking a new policy or travelling on an existing policy to Thailand will not be covered there untill UK govt ceases giving travel warnings or cautions to travellers going there.

Typical cop out by an insurance company.

Please name the company providing this policy so I know who to avoid in the future.

post-71198-1227896950.gifRead the contract! Acts of War which will include such actions by those whom can't get elected etc.

the real bad news is that all the 5 Star Hotels are accepting bookings from delayed pax based on their frequent visitor status. I got a call yesterday from a friend who is delightfully holed up at the Marriott on Suk and advises that the Exex Lounge is totally full every night...... Even as it was remodeled thsi fall to add 25% more seats etc the "joynt was jumping". Most punters DO NOT bring in BG's as some of the most favorable female finds in Bangkok are the staff there. All Uni grads and they do have hieght and weight rules etc.. Pooying Mahk Mahk and to be stranded with them all!

So, does anyone know if travel insurance will kick in to compensate for the delays and cancellations? ThaiVisaInsurance, care to give a reply?

Our travel plans were for the 28th, then the 30th, then the 2nd and now, finally on the 3rd we were able to vacate the country. This has had a ripple effect on hotels that were booked and paid for as well as other air tickets and train tickets. Thankfully, the hotel and train line were understanding of our situation and have let us rebook with them, even though it was not allowed. Amazing what some "bak wan" in an email can do.

But I would like to be compensated for the delay, as it has cut our trip short.

When I called our insurer to ask about filing a claim, I did mention that we are unable to fly due to the situation in BKK airport, and they proceded to give us instructions to make a claim. I just do not want to go through all the BS and paperwork just to get a DENIED reply. Anyone have any luck with any travel insurance accepting a claim for what happened?

While I sympathise with your plight, I gather from your statement that you are only interested in having someone else do the BS and paperwork before seeing if you should do the same.

It seems your insurer gave you instructions to make a claim, if you are unwilling to do any work to put the claim in, then why do you expect others to go through the motions on your behalf. Make a claim or quit whining...laziness has no bounds.

My question is regarding this 2k maximum daily compensation. From what I have read it appears that only people in BKK will receive any help. I'm stuck in Phuket as my AirAsia flight last Saturday to SIN was cancelled. The first confirmed seat available is tomorrow (6th Dec) on SQ. I've tried ringing the numbers listed above with no luck. Also if you read the Press Release on the TAT site it clearly says that no cash will be handed out to stranded travelers.

I asked the Guesthouse owner and he told me that the hotel owner has to bill TAT and should not charge the stranded customer. He also thought that anyone staying in a guesthouse would receive nothing as guesthouses do not pay room tax.

I can fully understand that guesthouse owners want their customers to pay up as they are worried that TAT will not pay them. Does anyone know if staying in a guesthouse in Phuket qualifies for compensation?

On another note, when I confronted AirAsia about getting me on another airline they didn't want to know. They offered me a refund to be paid into my Visa account sometime in the future. Just so that I knew I being completely firetrucked over AirAsia said I would not get a full refund as I had to pay a service charge (only 100 baht, but it's the principle of the matter). I was not offered a seat on any flight within three months. And they would give me nothing in writing stating that I was getting a refund. The photocopier was broken! I asked them to email me and they said no can do!

I will never fly AirAsia again.

I had bought a one year travel insurance policy from Allianz Hong Kong in May this year, since I knew I would be doing quite a bit of travel. I was to go HKG/BKK/LAX/BKK/HKG, but on 11/26 could not go BKK/LAX, and that portion of the journey was cancelled and I was stuck in BKK from 11/26 to 12/06 when I was finally able to return to HKG. Luckily I have my own apartment in BKK so I just waited out the airport closure, though I had a back up journey arranged on 12/01 to take the train on 12/05 to Penang, then flight to KL, and then flight on 12/07 KL to HKG.

The Allianz travel insurance policy did not have a specific exclusion for "civil unrest", which I have read that some British insurers are using to disallow claims from their clients. So my broker is preparing the claims paperwork, based on my summary, tickets, documents, etc., for some nominal amounts based on travel delay, meals charges incurred due to unable to board scheduled flights, cost for rescheduling the BKK/LAX/BKK portion of journey, and cancellation/refund cost for the back up plan which I did not take once the airport had reopened on 12/05 and my flight back to HKG was confirmed for 12/06.

Don't know what the insurer will ultimately pay for against my claims, but I expect the full amount since the amount overall is not more than US$700 in total.

My partner and I were stuck in BKK from 29th November until 8th December due to the problems with the airport, and unable to get back to the UK. Firstly, I was very concerned by the lack of information available. It was by chance we were directed to the Arnoma Hotel (Excellent Hotel and Excellent Service), by a tour operator at the First House Hotel. The Arnoma was an excellent Hotel, the service was good etc, but my concerns were the total lack of information, and the fact that I lost over £2000 in wages etc, and I have very little hope of seeing any of this money again. My insurance is not valid due to it being a political problem etc etc...... so even though we had an extra 10 days in BKK all paid for by the TAT, I am still down a heap of money, plus the extra money we had to spend on every day essentials whilst stuck. Any advise would be appreciated.

[email protected]

• 4 weeks later...

The insurance company that I had the policy with has offered compensation of about US$500 against my total claim of $700. Since my original schedule had me returning to HK on 12/04 and I actually returned on 12/06, they claim that my total travel delay was only two days, despite my not being able to travel on the BKK/LAX/BKK segment which was ultimately rescheduled for 12/27. They also disallowed my claims for meals incurred during the missed portion of the BKK/LAX/BKK segment. But they did allow for the actual refund charges and rescheduling charges that I incurred during this journey.

So rather than fight them some more, I will just accept their offer, which they said was exceptional consideration for my case.

The travel delay portion was about $120 of the $500. The rest were actual expenses with receipts for rescheduling flights, refund charges for cancelled flights, and cost of flights not taken on a back up plan to get me back to Hong Kong in event airport stayed closed for an indefinite period. But the insurance company refused to reimburse me for meals taken during the period when I had to remain in Bangkok because I could not take the BKK/LAX/BKK segment during the closure.

So rather than continue arguing with the insurance company over several hundred dollars, I just accepted their compensation offer.