5 Year Driving Licence - Letter Of Residence

shedend

I have been informed by my wife (Thai National) I can change my old style Thai 5 x year Driving Licence to the new style which is in both Thai and English. To apply for this I will require a letter of residence. Can I receive this letter from the Immigration here in Phuket or do I have to apply at the British Embassy in Bkk?

I am looking at driving to Penang, Malaysia and have been told I need the new style licence for this.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Before you make an expensive trip to the consul or embassy try and get one from your local Amphur.

They issued me with one which was good enough for my local Dept of Land & Transport and cost nothing at all.

Docs required vary but when I went wifeys housebook and a copy of my passport was sufficient.

Before you make an expensive trip to the consul or embassy try and get one from your local Amphur.

They issued me with one which was good enough for my local Dept of Land & Transport and cost nothing at all.

Docs required vary but when I went wifeys housebook and a copy of my passport was sufficient.

Thanks I never thought of that. I will give it a try and see what happens.

Standard procudure down here in Pattaya is to visit Immigration Pplice with proof where you live - Rent Receipt, house lease or even a bill with your name. Even a hotel receipt will do.

Complete the OFFICIAL APPLICATION FORM which asks for which reason you require the Letter of Residence: - for.....

Bank Account

Bar Licence

Driving Licence.

A couple of passport sized photos

200 Baht per letter (Officially free, but this is Pattaya...)

In Pattaya Immigration they have a special duty desk just to do these letters.

AMDT: Oops. Forgot the Passport plusphoto copies of the passport

Edited by grahamhc

Standard procudure down here in Pattaya is to visit Immigration Pplice with proof where you live - Rent Receipt, house lease or even a bill with your name. Even a hotel receipt will do.

Complete the OFFICIAL APPLICATION FORM which asks for which reason you require the Letter of Residence: - for.....

Bank Account

Bar Licence

Driving Licence.

A couple of passport sized photos

200 Baht per letter (Officially free, but this is Pattaya...)

In Pattaya Immigration they have a special duty desk just to do these letters.

AMDT: Oops. Forgot the Passport plusphoto copies of the passport

Cheers for that.

I found a thai licence thread on this website but it wasn't clear on something. If my one year licence expires, is it OK for several months to pass before applying for my five year licence? If I don't renew on the day of expiry, do I have to start again with the one year version? It expires next week but I'm out of the country until January.

--------------------------------

For more Information :- Florida Visas Lawyers

It appears (in Pattaya at least) you can use your expired lcience for a few months before renewing for a five year licence, however TIT and who knows what your friendly BIB would say if they pulled you over, some posters have psoted saying no problem but who knows.

I found a thai licence thread on this website but it wasn't clear on something. If my one year licence expires, is it OK for several months to pass before applying for my five year licence? If I don't renew on the day of expiry, do I have to start again with the one year version? It expires next week but I'm out of the country until January.

A while back I read that you can't renew your license until after it has expired! Not sure if this is true - seems strange.

My wife's license was expired when she renewed hers, and she was told at the land transport office that you have up to 3 months after the expiry date to renew without starting all over again (e.g. take the tests again and get a 1 year license).

I have been informed by my wife (Thai National) I can change my old style Thai 5 x year Driving Licence to the new style which is in both Thai and English. To apply for this I will require a letter of residence. Can I receive this letter from the Immigration here in Phuket or do I have to apply at the British Embassy in Bkk?

I am looking at driving to Penang, Malaysia and have been told I need the new style licence for this.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Piece of cake in Phuket

got to the 2nd floor at immigration with proof u live there ( a note from your landlord with copy of his id, your name on the blue nor sor sam book etc)

and 100 Baht and a pic. takes 10 min

I got my new card like dl in July from my other 5 year license only bad thing they ONLY made it valid till the end of the orgianl 5 year not another 5 years so need to get another one in May.

A while back I read that you can't renew your license until after it has expired! Not sure if this is true - seems strange.

My wife's license was expired when she renewed hers, and she was told at the land transport office that you have up to 3 months after the expiry date to renew without starting all over again (e.g. take the tests again and get a 1 year license).

My bike and car licenses expired while I was away, about 1 month over, I was still able to get the 5 year.

I was told at the Samui transport dept that to get a driver's license here I needed to bring a photocopy of my UK driver's licence (like they don't have their own photocopier there?!), a letter from immigration (costing 500thb) and a doctor's certificate??

Oh, and to come back on Monday coz they don't issue them after 3.30 on Fridays.

Mixed reviews as we have info about getting a first time, renewal and upgrade. Most importantly is that different locals are mentioned.... Rember first rule TIT. Go to the local trans office for your area and get the correct info and procede. I haven't bothered to get the NEW bi lingual as I've a DL in Engrit from one of the 50 US. Most of what I read was correct! First time applicants remember that if you home DL and INtl' DL arenent in engrit you'll need a certifited translated version in most places. I got my first one back before the engrit DL was waived from a translation! Don't forget that about the only consisitant rule is that you go to the place in you area.. In BKK the are about 5 or 6 depending on where you live.... Usually (TIT) IT WILL BE THE LAND AND TRANSPORTATION OFFICE!