Advice Please

meme

We are taking the night train from Trang up to Bangkok on Sat arriving on sunday the 30th.

Now the plan WAS, we would get off and hualalumpong and taxi over to khaosan, stay there for the night and leave on our plane on the first...

Now who knows when we will get our flight out, but my question is, should we be getting off and hualaumpong? Or should we get off at another station? Do you think Khaosan would be safe? My husband is Thai and he thinks it would be the safest place b/c it is majority foreigners....but last time I was there it was seemed very close to the government house.

I guess what I need to know is where should we stay and where should we get off the train? If by some miracle the airport is open and running on the first I can imagine it will be hel_l trying to get there, so maybe we should stay closer? Is anywhere truly safe? I really have no idea so any guidance is much appreciated.

We are taking the night train from Trang up to Bangkok on Sat arriving on sunday the 30th.

Now the plan WAS, we would get off and hualalumpong and taxi over to khaosan, stay there for the night and leave on our plane on the first...

Now who knows when we will get our flight out, but my question is, should we be getting off and hualaumpong? Or should we get off at another station? Do you think Khaosan would be safe? My husband is Thai and he thinks it would be the safest place b/c it is majority foreigners....but last time I was there it was seemed very close to the government house.

I guess what I need to know is where should we stay and where should we get off the train? If by some miracle the airport is open and running on the first I can imagine it will be hel_l trying to get there, so maybe we should stay closer? Is anywhere truly safe? I really have no idea so any guidance is much appreciated.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself. You may proceed with your original plan. Your stay at khao san may turn out to be rather long-- perhaps you should ask for a long stay discount.

If you fancy a day trip, then I recommend a walk to Government House. The PAD demonstrators will let you through all the way to the government house. I thoroughly enjoyed my stroll in the grounds.

hualampong is your choice - you might stay at upper sukhumwit rather than khaosan if you need to travel at short notice to the airport

thank you Londonthai. Do you have any hotel recommendations for upper sukhumwit?

actually khao san is rather near to government house and when i was there a few days ago there were loads of riot police on the streets. it's safe now but who knows what might happen.

Any ideas of where we should stay girlx?

We have stayed on soi Kasem by MBK before. Would that be safe? close to the airport etc. I really dont know BKK very well.

Edited by meme

hmm... i would suggest pratunam or siam area i guess? you can easily get the airport bus from there, and there are lots of hotels in the area. or stay on samsen, near khao san but far enough away to feel safe. there are some nice places on sois 3/4/6 such as this one: sam sen sam.

Edited by girlx

I'd keep away from Khao San myself. The area and farangs in general are far from being targets but it is all just a bit to close to the 'action' for comfort.

You have a multitude of places to stay along Sukhumvit and Silom which can cater to all budgets, the trick is to stay reasonably close to the sky-train or MRT so that you can get about quite easily.

Edited by globalj