International Flights From Chiang Mai

satiariyan

Hi,

These days I'm getting a lot of questions from patrons about how to get home to US, UK, etc. the best i can think of is to tell them that Chiang Mai has an international airport with direct flights to several SEA countries from where they can fly further away.

Then they have more questions like to which city and by which airway - of which I have no clue. Can anyone help?

On a sitenote: Which direct domestic destinations are there (other than Bangkok of course) - any to the South in particular?

Edited by satiariyan

I haven't been home in awhile, but China-Airlines used to run a flight from Chiang Mai to Taipae, and from there you could go anywhere (I fly to San Francisco).

I'll be very disappointed if they don't have that flight, I've already paid for an December 9 e-ticket leaving Chiang Mai to Taipae and on to Los Angeles. I hope the protesters don't decide to close our airport also.

Korean Airlines ceased their flights to ICN (Seoul, Korea)

Uhhhh...as of when? :o I'm supposed to be on that flight next month.

Since posting this, I just did a quick search on Orbitz. Korean Air is still offering flights from CNX to ICN, but not back. That's just fine by me.

Edited by angelal

I should preface this as an un-substantiated rumour, but I heard yesterday that seats on the main international flights out of CNX over the next few days are like "rocking-horse shit". Apparently today's Silk Air flight to SIN has 200 people waitlisted (or more probably there are people spread over the next several days waitlists)!

Thai TV news last night was showing Chiang Mai rail station queues - apparently Train and bus tickets to Bangkok are equally hard to come by.

According to web site of Korean Air, there are no flights from CNX to Seoul !

I'd rather believe Korean Air then Orbitz, when it comes to flights with Korean Air.

When I tried to check the Korean Air website earlier, it was down for maintenance; that's why I checked Orbitz. Now I can access KA's site and see that they no longer offer flights from CNX. So the question becomes, will they honor my existing ticket? If not, will I be put on another carrier, free of additional charge? Will I actually be able to escape this country as planned? I suppose I have to call them and find out. This is making me a little nervous....

According to web site of Korean Air, there are no flights from CNX to Seoul !

I'd rather believe Korean Air then Orbitz, when it comes to flights with Korean Air.

When I tried to check the Korean Air website earlier, it was down for maintenance; that's why I checked Orbitz. Now I can access KA's site and see that they no longer offer flights from CNX. So the question becomes, will they honor my existing ticket? If not, will I be put on another carrier, free of additional charge? Will I actually be able to escape this country as planned? I suppose I have to call them and find out. This is making me a little nervous....

it puzzles me how you got the ticket for a non-existant flight in the first place. :o

The plot thickens: Round-trip non-stop flights from Seoul to Chiang Mai can still be purchased via the Korean Air website, as long as the trip originates in Seoul. So aparently I will be able to use the second half of my ticket to get out of here next month. They must be using a partner carrier, if Korean Air hasn't been at CNX since September. Any idea which other carrier they'd be using?

In my opinion there are only 2 possibities.

CNX - BKK with TG and then on to ICN with KE

or

CNX - TPE with CI and then on to ICN with KE

I think the first option is the most likely.

Of course Korean Airlines (KE) has to change your ticket free of charge. You are having a binding transportation contract from CNX to ICN. I would get in touch with travel agency, which sold the ticket.

@angelal

I would get in touch with the agency or Korean Airlines as soon as possible. This time of the year is a very busy one, and all flights from Thailand to Korea might be full already.

Most likely KE have rebooked you already. But sometimes sh_t happens. :o

Does the Korean Airlines website have an option where you can enter a record locater and display that itinerary? Oftentimes when there is a canceled flight, the airline will automatically make new flight arrangements without any prompting from the passenger.

Does the Korean Airlines website have an option where you can enter a record locater and display that itinerary?

Yes, but that only seems to apply to tickets purchased directly from KA. My ticket was purchased by my employer's travel department, and I don't think they went directly through KA. My husband's ticket (same flights, same dates) was purchased via Orbitz. Orbitz hasn't sent me any updates regarding Korean Air. I'll keep digging.

Thanks for the suggestions, all!

Not sure exactly where it was going, but I definitely saw a Korean Air plane in the air over T. Chang Phuak leaving Chiang Mai at about 2:30 am today. Planes in the sky are so rare this week I had to look up to see which airline had managed to fly somewhere.

Not sure exactly where it was going, but I definitely saw a Korean Air plane in the air over T. Chang Phuak leaving Chiang Mai at about 2:30 am today. Planes in the sky are so rare this week I had to look up to see which airline had managed to fly somewhere.

Good news. Thanks!

These are all international flights from Chiang Mai:

CNX - KMG

CNX - LPQ

CNX - KUL

CNX - RGN

CNX - SIN

CNX - TPE

CNX - REP

Korean Airlines ceased their flights to ICN (Seoul, Korea)

CNX - RGN was supposed to be suspended in October and resumed in November, but I cannot tell from web searches if it is up and running again. Does anybody know if these flights are still active?

Good news. Thanks!

Out of curiosity I checked on flightstats.com. It was KE668 departing 48 minutes late for Seoul. This is listed as a scheduled flight on Korean Airlines web site, departing at 01:55 Wed and Sun.

Out of curiosity I checked on flightstats.com. It was KE668 departing 48 minutes late for Seoul. This is listed as a scheduled flight on Korean Airlines web site, departing at 01:55 Wed and Sun.

Hey, that's going to be my flight in a few weeks! I am very glad to know it's operational. Thank you.