Is The Import Permit Really Necessary?

I realize there is a sticky thread devoted to importing pets into Thailand, but that thread is seven pages long and filled with conflicting information. It might be time to start a new sticky thread with updated and confirmed information, not just rumors and hearsay.

I plan on bringing a dog and a cat to Thailand from Taiwan next month. Vaccinations and health certificates won't be a problem, but I'm seeing conflicting information about a so-called "Import Permit." The official regulations state the following:

The importer should personally submit an application request (Form No 1/1) to import live animals into the country to an AQS veterinary offical , at least 15 days prior to an importation

The application should be attached with a copy of the importer ' s identification card. He could appoint a representative to submit the application , in written paper , and attach copies of identification cards of himself and his representative.

Source: http://www.dld.go.th/dcontrol/move/imex_e.html#L1

However, many of the people who have imported animals claim that they did not have to obtain this permit before leaving for Thailand. Is it really necessary? Or can I board the plane with my animals and their health certificates?

Thank you in advance for any replies, they will be greatly appreciated by both me and my pets!

I wouldn't take the risk of not submitting this document. What would you do if they do ask for the import permit and you can't show it?

Beside this, with the current occupation of the BKK airports, I won't be surprised it is not even possible to apply for a permit as I understood the office is at Suvarnabhumi airport.

Nienke

Passed by the AQS this morning and asked them about the import permit.

They said it is necessary.

When exporting animals from Thailand they (AQS) often will give you only an export permit after you have shown the import permit of the country where the animals go to.

Not sure if this is the case in Taiwan as well.

Nienke

Edited by Nienke

Passed by the AQS this morning and asked them about the import permit.

They said it is necessary.

When exporting animals from Thailand they (AQS) often will give you only an export permit after you have shown the import permit of the country where the animals go to.

Not sure if this is the case in Taiwan as well.

Nienke

Thanks, Nienke. An export permit is not necessary in Taiwan.

Can the import permit for Thailand be obtained by email, or is it really necessary to submit the application in person?

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on my situation: I was able to obtain the import permits for both my cat and dog via email. It is not necessary to apply for the permits in person. I seriously doubt I'll need to use the permits, but it's nice to have them just in case. Here is the process for obtaining the permits from outside of Thailand:

1 - Obtain all necessary vaccination records, health certificates, microchip info, etc...

2 - Download and fill out Form No 1/1, found here.

3 - Call AQS at Suvarnabhumi Airport and let them know your situation. They will tell you to fax Form 1/1 along with all health certificates and other documents. It is a good idea to include a cover letter indicating your flight number, exact time and date of arrival, and details of the animals you plan to bring. Make sure to include your email address!

4 - Fax all of the above to: +66 2134 3640.

5 - Wait 5-7 days to receive your import permit by email.

Fifteen days isn't necessarily needed, but I would suggest you give yourself at least ten days. It helps to have someone who can speak fluent Thai also. Again, I highly doubt I'll even need the import permits at all (the people at the office seemed pretty nonchalant about it), but it's nice to have them just in case.

NO new thread please. There is plenty of good info in the existing sticky ... the only confusion arises is when:

1. posters who don't say what country they are bring the animal from ... read & respond to info from someone who brought an animal from a different country (or using different airline etc) and just assume there are universal rules that apply, ie. the australian rules are the same as the american rules

2. people who have different experiences on arrival in thailand and again assume there is one reality here ... ie. the laws in existence are applied uniformly and consistently by all thai staff in all thai airports

- no way

Details of the relevant thai laws are available on the net and if you act in accordance with those laws ... well you may still have a hard time ... or you may have wasted your time ... but you will still be on the right side of the law if :o