Why Do Thais Let Sleeping Dogs Lie?

PeaceBlondie

"Let sleeping dogs lie" is a proverb in English, and many other languages. Usually, it means if the dog is over in a corner sleeping, so do not awaken it or it might bite you.

Thai people, however, train all their dogs to lie wherever they darn well care to lie. They lay or lie there at any time of day or night. In the soi, the street, the footpath, right in your way. And you, the human, are expected to just leave them there and not bother them. Even if they are Thai PAD dogs, lieing at the airport. I mis-spell lieing because I do not know if the Thai dogs at the airport lie about politics.

I was downstairs earlier today, walking with both arms full of full water bottles, and my white dog named "White" just lay there in all his white

glory. Did I shout that Thai word that means "Dog, move your respectable carcass out of my way?" Nah. I just walked over and around him.

Dogs generally are considered to be dumb animals, but trainable. Why do smart Thai humans teach dumb Thai dogs to lie in the path, even all over the airports? Does it have any connection to why my Thai partner always calls the PAD protesters "STUPID"?

The last time I rode my bike around the Sameoung Loop, I counted 22 dogs that had at least some part of their body on the traveled portion of the road. That is .26 SD/KM. Here in my neighborhood, I think the measure is more like 8.5 SD/KM.

"Let sleeping dogs lie" is a proverb in English, and many other languages. Usually, it means if the dog is over in a corner sleeping, so do not awaken it or it might bite you.

Thai people, however, train all their dogs to lie wherever they darn well care to lie. They lay or lie there at any time of day or night. In the soi, the street, the footpath, right in your way. And you, the human, are expected to just leave them there and not bother them. Even if they are Thai PAD dogs, lieing at the airport. I mis-spell lieing because I do not know if the Thai dogs at the airport lie about politics.

I was downstairs earlier today, walking with both arms full of full water bottles, and my white dog named "White" just lay there in all his white

glory. Did I shout that Thai word that means "Dog, move your respectable carcass out of my way?" Nah. I just walked over and around him.

Dogs generally are considered to be dumb animals, but trainable. Why do smart Thai humans teach dumb Thai dogs to lie in the path, even all over the airports? Does it have any connection to why my Thai partner always calls the PAD protesters "STUPID"?

I think the only words you really needed were "the PAD are like stupid dogs that can't be / won't be controlled. Or was there some other point you were making?

On my first trip to Phuket back in 1982, while driving around, I was amazed at the number of three-legged dogs there. I wondered aloud as to the large number, then noticed how many dogs were sleeping on the road itself. Wondering ceased.

The last time I rode my bike around the Sameoung Loop, I counted 22 dogs that had at least some part of their body on the traveled portion of the road. That is .26 SD/KM. Here in my neighborhood, I think the measure is more like 8.5 SD/KM.

I think we need a new SI unit: the mutt = 1 SD/km.

Actually that would better be a millimutt as the base unit would have to be in metres, hence 1 mutt = 1 SD/m = 1000 SD/km and thus 1 SD/km= 1 millimutt.

That makes Sameoung 260 micromutts.

This should be written up and published in Metrologia.

Unfortunately many dogs do die on the roads.

Fortunately, the Thais do their best to avoid them - sometimes it's just not possible 'cos some dogs are so un-streetwise and walk out without looking.

It's one of the things I love about this country, the Thais are always aware of the soi dogs, and do their best not to run them over. I've seen them swerving so often to avoid a dog, when my heart was in my mouth, sure the dog was going to be run over.

Actually that would better be a millimutt as the base unit would have to be in metres, hence 1 mutt = 1 SD/m = 1000 SD/km and thus 1 SD/km= 1 millimutt.

All those mutts make an awful lot of dog <deleted>. I looked forward to July 3rd this year which I heard was "D-Day" All strays to be removed. Still waiting. I go out to my soi and sweep the aforementioned <deleted> all up once a week, trying to get the message across to the residents who feed them-surprisingly I now have one ally who does same!

I was looking at an English book with my 11 yr old nephew recently and it was about building a kennel. Whats a kennel.? Had to explain about how people in other countries actually give their dog a little house and maybe a cushion, blanket,toy etc. I think looking at the patchy skinned, fur missing mutts roaming near our place it was a bit hard to believe. The thing is, although not a dog lover myself some of these mutts look like they used to belong to someone once. Maybe someone who had to move and could no longer care for their dog or just got sick of it and turfed it. If you're looking for a dog to love let me know-there's about 50 around here.All I can say is thank goodness they ignore me and I do same

All those mutts make an awful lot of dog <deleted>. I looked forward to July 3rd this year which I heard was "D-Day" All strays to be removed. Still waiting. I go out to my soi and sweep the aforementioned <deleted> all up once a week, trying to get the message across to the residents who feed them-surprisingly I now have one ally who does same!

I was looking at an English book with my 11 yr old nephew recently and it was about building a kennel. Whats a kennel.? Had to explain about how people in other countries actually give their dog a little house and maybe a cushion, blanket,toy etc. I think looking at the patchy skinned, fur missing mutts roaming near our place it was a bit hard to believe. The thing is, although not a dog lover myself some of these mutts look like they used to belong to someone once. Maybe someone who had to move and could no longer care for their dog or just got sick of it and turfed it. If you're looking for a dog to love let me know-there's about 50 around here.All I can say is thank goodness they ignore me and I do same

Quite clearly not a dog lover! You look forward to someone poisoning dogs putting them through unbearable agony before they die? You're v sick. If you're not totally incapable of human emotion - DONATE TO SOI DOGS TO STERILISE THEM. Call them out, tell them you've got a problem. I realise a 'phone call is hard work, but perhaps it will give you some 'merit'. :o

Quite clearly not a dog lover! You look forward to someone poisoning dogs putting them through unbearable agony before they die? You're v sick. If you're not totally incapable of human emotion - DONATE TO SOI DOGS TO STERILISE THEM. Call them out, tell them you've got a problem. I realise a 'phone call is hard work, but perhaps it will give you some 'merit'. :o

Bugger the "merit" Give me the phone numbers!!! I think you misunderstand me-I would love to make a phone call -not hard work at all. I just didn't know who to approach.

Jai yen yen,don't give yourself a heart attack

The similarities between the soi dog and the PAD dog are fairly obvious, me thinks.

They are generally discarded old bi*ches that are no longer welcome in the house.

to FI Fanatic Please answer asap. I need the phone numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!PS Where's the RSPCA located??????

Unfortunately many dogs do die on the roads.

Fortunately, the Thais do their best to avoid them - sometimes it's just not possible 'cos some dogs are so un-streetwise and walk out without looking.

It's one of the things I love about this country, the Thais are always aware of the soi dogs, and do their best not to run them over. I've seen them swerving so often to avoid a dog, when my heart was in my mouth, sure the dog was going to be run over.

Me too, but i have just returned from 10 days riding around cambodia and i killed 2 dogs and a pig in seperate incidents,the last one had me off and i was taken by pick up to the border as i couldnt ride,. i am now an EX dog lover,.im told the families that owned these animals had then for dinner, !( you dont see dogs in phnom penh .wonder why ? )

Edited by imaneggspurt

Thai's feed their human dog and animal dog with the cheapest food available, so i have to agree with the comment above about lethargy.

Rice diet and 200baht for 20kg of dog food don't really help the brains.

Sounds a little like street vender food !!!!!! Oh my gosh , the sewage from hel_l will surely descend on my head .

You do see dogs in Phnom Penh , they are those small rug-rats that run out yapping and the owners do nothing , cannot only own one either , just have to have two or three , goodness knows why .

Time is close for the soapy water spray bottle .

I have dogs so I know the price. Where can you buy such cheap dog food? The cheapest I can find is in Makro over 500 baht per 20kg (Savepak brand).

I have dogs so I know the price. Where can you buy such cheap dog food? The cheapest I can find is in Makro over 500 baht per 20kg (Savepak brand).

if you ask me this question you should not be allowed to have animals.

Feeding that crap to dogs is like feeding a 1year old child, rice and only rice.

Dogs need plenty of vitamins and proteins for the first 3-4years and even after that they need more than that bag filled with bunny poop or the 500baht one from makro which is probably just a ;little better, maybe cow poop