Flights In And Out Of U-tapao

Digitalbanana

Any options in and out of here whilst BKK & DMK is shut? Which airlines use it? Or is the airport closed also? I'm stuck in Jakarta trying to get to Bangkok.

Just had a call from a friend who was due to fly to UK last Tuesday with THAI AIRWAYS he has been at an hotel in Pattaya at Thais expense until this evening. He is now on his way to Utapao to board a Thai flight to Paris where he will then be on his own.

Apparently there are 20 flights scheduled to leave Utapao in the next 24 hours of which 3 are allocated to Thai. So planes must be coming in as well as leaving, however whether incoming planes have any pax on board is another matter.

Good luck

TBWG :o

Thanks for replies, but before the PAD closures of BKK and DMK what Asian airlines had scheduled flights into UTP? Are there any options to fly in their from a neighboring Asian country? Any ideas appreciated...

I have a full economy TG ticket from Jakarta to BKK and TG told me to come back when BKK airport reopens! Not sure I can wait that long.

<br />Thanks for replies, but before the PAD closures of BKK and DMK what Asian airlines had scheduled flights into UTP? Are there any options to fly in their from a neighboring Asian country? Any ideas appreciated... <br /><br />I have a full economy TG ticket from Jakarta to BKK and TG told me to come back when BKK airport reopens! Not sure I can wait that long.<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

There are several TG flights:

http://www.thaiairways.com/Homepage/announ...a_situation.htm

Excellent reply and just goes to show how good TG are. I asked about UTP at the check in in Jakarta on 28SEP and the TG staff were clueless and said no such flights existed yet. The TG web site is presumably just pleased to announce flights after they have happened I guess.

Stop crying like you are some special case and do some internet legwork of your own. TG are obviously shooting from the hip on what flights get U-Tapao slots and I would think a wide-body from afar would get precedence over a regional country hopper. The only pre- PAD shitfight scheduled users of U-Tapao were Bangkok Airways, DOMESTIC only; all the rest and any international carriers were charter flight operations.

The best options for non- BKK travel is AirAsia from Kuala Lumpur; they serve Chiang Mai, Phuket and Krabi.

Next best is Silk Air out of Singapore, direct to Phuket and Chiangmai.

If you are so desperate to get here, fork out for a new ticket on AirAsia from Jakarta to KL onward to the Thai destination of your choice and ride a bus.

Stop crying like you are some special case and do some internet legwork of your own. TG are obviously shooting from the hip on what flights get U-Tapao slots and I would think a wide-body from afar would get precedence over a regional country hopper. The only pre- PAD shitfight scheduled users of U-Tapao were Bangkok Airways, DOMESTIC only; all the rest and any international carriers were charter flight operations.

The best options for non- BKK travel is AirAsia from Kuala Lumpur; they serve Chiang Mai, Phuket and Krabi.

Next best is Silk Air out of Singapore, direct to Phuket and Chiangmai.

If you are so desperate to get here, fork out for a new ticket on AirAsia from Jakarta to KL onward to the Thai destination of your choice and ride a bus.

A lot of presumptions in your reply and little facts, but one fact from me if its of help to others, TG have me today rerouted from BKK to UTP and the Mrs will pick me up from the airport, so there are ways to get in it seems.

<br />Thanks for replies, but before the PAD closures of BKK and DMK what Asian airlines had scheduled flights into UTP? Are there any options to fly in their from a neighboring Asian country? Any ideas appreciated... <br /><br />I have a full economy TG ticket from Jakarta to BKK and TG told me to come back when BKK airport reopens! Not sure I can wait that long.<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

There are several TG flights:

http://www.thaiairways.com/Homepage/announ...a_situation.htm

Thankyou for the information. I have a friend who needs to get out for a important event. Hope it works out.

A lot of presumptions in your reply and little facts, but one fact from me if its of help to others, TG have me today rerouted from BKK to UTP and the Mrs will pick me up from the airport, so there are ways to get in it seems.

I am stuck in the Philippines looking to return to Bangkok ASAP.

Which airline, and from which airport did you fly in from?

Anyone have any ideas whether Gulf Air operates inbound flights to U-Taphao? I have read on their page that they are sending a special flight to pick up passengers, but no mention of bringing pax inbound. Probably they won't... Any who can share some news regarding taking passengers from Dubai or Bahrain to U-Taphao or Phuket would be of great help, as I could rebook my flights. I've had no luck so far in finding anything! :o

As I understand it U-Tapao is not an operating commercial airport. It is being used in this emergency. It is an old air force base built for the Americans I believe, during the Vietnam War. It has very limited space. I guess the military may still use it or it could be used for small plane local flights, but right now it's being used as an emergency backup, and can't even get close to making up for the closer of Suvarnabhumi. As to who is flying in and out, probably information is changing every minute so difficult to set anything in stone. Probably the airlines are having trouble figuring out what to do, especially those with little presence in Thailand.

For Immediate Release - 16:00, November 29

CAL Cancels and Reroutes Bangkok Flights

As Thai Protesters Shut Down BKK Airport

November 29, 2008, 16:00, Taipei, Taiwan –Due to the ongoing political turmoil that has caused Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi International Airport to shut down, China Airlines announces that flights serving Bangkok have been cancelled or rerouted as follows:

November 30

Flight CI-831 from Hong Kong to Bangkok and the return flight CI-832 have been cancelled.

Flight CI-833 from Taipei to Bangkok and the return flight CI-834 have been cancelled.

Flight CI-835 from Taipei to Bangkok and the return flight CI-836 have been cancelled.

Flight CI-839 from Kaohsiung to Bangkok and the return flight CI-840 have been cancelled

Flight CI-065/066 Taipei - Bangkok – Amsterdam v.v. have been rerouted to Taipei –Chiang Mai – Amsterdam v.v., and will use a B747-400 aircarft, with a total of 397 seats.

CI-065 Taipei –Chiang Mai ETD 22:20 // ETA 01:10+1/1 Dec

Chiang Mai – Amsterdam ETD 02:30/1 Dec// ETA 09:00+1/1 Dec

CI-066 Amsterdam–Chiang Mai ETD 14:25/1 Dec// ETA 07:10+1/2 Dec

Chiang Mai –Taipei ETD 09:30/2 Dec// ETA 14:00/2 Dec

December 01

Flight CI-065/066 Taipei - Bangkok – Amsterdam v.v. have been rerouted to Taipei –Chiang Mai – Amsterdam v.v., and will use a B747-400 aircarft, with a total of 397 seats.

CI-065 Taipei –Chiang Mai ETD 22:20 // ETA 01:10+1/2 Dec

Chiang Mai – Amsterdam ETD 02:30/2 Dec// ETA 09:00/2 Dec

CI-066 Amsterdam –Chiang Mai ETD 14:25/2 Dec// ETA 07:10+1/3 Dec

Chiang Mai –Taipei ETD 09:30/3 Dec// ETA 14:00/3 Dec

Flight CI-067/068 Taipei - Bangkok – Rome v.v. have been rerouted to Taipei –Chiang Mai – Rome v.v., and will use a A343-300 aircarft, with a total of 276 seats.

CI-067 Taipei –Chiang Mai ETD 23:35 // ETA 02:15+1/2 Dec

Chiang Mai –Rome ETD 03:45/2 Dec// ETA 11:10/2 Dec

CI-068 Rome –Chiang Mai ETD 13:15/2 Dec// ETA 05:45+1/3 Dec

Chiang Mai –Taipei ETD 07:05/3 Dec// ETA 11:35/3 Dec

Passengers are advised to visit CAL’s website, www.china-airlines.com, before leaving for the airport. For the most up-to-date flight information, please call the following hotlines:

Taipei Customer Service Hotline: 02-2715-1212

Kaohsiung Customer Service Hotline: 07-282-6141

Taoyuan International Airport: 03-398-8888

Kaohsiung International Airport: 07-801-2674

Any options in and out of here whilst BKK & DMK is shut? Which airlines use it? Or is the airport closed also? I'm stuck in Jakarta trying to get to Bangkok.

You could fly to KL, then take an Air Asia flight to Phuket. From there you can go to U-Tapao on Bangkok Air - only 2-3 hours from Bangkok by road. I did this trip yesterday (28th)!

Edited by eyebee

You could fly to KL, then take an Air Asia flight to Phuket. From there you can go to U-Tapao on Bangkok Air - only 2-3 hours from Bangkok by road. I did this trip yesterday (28th)!

Just booked tickets for friend for tomorrow to get him home from Manila. Here is the route and Malasia Air both sectors.

MNL to KL leaves around 15.30

Overnight KL

KL to U-Tapou 12.25 arrives 13.35

Cost for economy was 28K Baht though one way only. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What I don't quite understand is, why they are not providing a specific "pro forma" schedule, which flights are departing from U-Tapao (doesn't matter which airline) to get a complete overview. For example a simple spreadsheet on the U-Tapao-Homepage or on the TAT-Homepage summarizing each incoming and outgoing flight an every Thai Airports theey are trying to open now for international traffic.

Moreover, I think, that each airline is just concentrating on their own passengers instead of filling the available seats completely with stranded passengers (again: doesn't matter which airline).

I was booked on Emirates this evening to depart BKK heading towards Dubai and then to Frankfurt.

Emirates still only provides flights from KL, Singapur & Hong Kong. After getting in touch with them (German office and Bangkok office), they told me, they are NOT supposed to takeover the costs for the transfer there.

You really don't know whom to get in touch with additionally (Airline? Embassy? TAT? ...?)

Anyway, hope everyone of you is ok out there. Take care and get a safe flight home!

Khun R.

I came in through U-Tapao this morning on an EVA flight from Taipei. It looked liked they cancelled half their BKK flights, and rerouted the others to U-Tapao. My plane was half empty. There were several airplanes from different companies, and a lot of Thai Airways planes, at U-Tapao. Thai Airways is providing buses for their passengers, everyone else is on their own. Taxis are asking 3,000 - 3,500 baht to Bangkok, 140 kilometers away. I paid 600 to share a minibus with three others. We bargained from 3,500 to 2,400 easily. There are no computers for immigration, but it moved pretty fast. The luggage is piled in heaps. The U-Tapao airport is clearly not equipped for this amount of traffic. But I am glad to get to Bangkok, and it wasn't too difficult.

There was also a FedEx plane on the runway, so they are getting their packages through the shutdown.

I am stuck in the Philippines looking to return to Bangkok ASAP.

Which airline, and from which airport did you fly in from?

I already had a TG ticket of a canceled flight so they re routed me via KLIA to UTP on their own TG flight. They would only do that after a long trek to their office in Jakarta to show I wasn't time wasting. The rescheduled flight was 6 hours late (or 2 days late than my original flight to BKK) and UTP is turning into a sh!t hole as it is now overloaded, looks much worse to leave that place than get in. The sooner the country sorts this crap out the better and the people involved on all sides should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

The luggage is piled in heaps. The U-Tapao airport is clearly not equipped for this amount of traffic. But I am glad to get to Bangkok, and it wasn't too difficult.

Thanks for the update.

Does anyone know if incoming passengers luggage is being routed to a central pick up point in Bangkok like BITEC or Thai offices, or are the passengers collecting bags U Tapao before jumping on transport to Bangkok. And what's the queue like through customs at U Tapao? I feel sorry for the staff. I'm catching the Surat o'night train from HuaLumphong and fingers crossed I make it to the station in 5 hours.

Does anyone know if incoming passengers luggage is being routed to a central pick up point in Bangkok like BITEC or Thai offices, or are the passengers collecting bags U Tapao before jumping on transport to Bangkok. And what's the queue like through customs at U Tapao?

Had a bit more of a look around TV and found my questions answered brilliantly

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tapao-Airport-t226520.html