Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

Hi

My Thai language isn't great, but it is something about preparing to give a second warning about not aloowing any vehicles into or out of the 2 airports under seige. Also something about 5-10 injured people, but not sure what.

Cheers

H.

Translate:

On Sunday 30-Nov, No vehicle is allowed to enter or leave the 2 airports. Also, any gather of 5-10 may be subject to arrest (due to SoE).

Edited by GlenOrd

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone translate this?

Hi

My Thai language isn't great, but it is something about preparing to give a second warning about not aloowing any vehicles into or out of the 2 airports under seige. Also something about 5-10 injured people, but not sure what.

Cheers

H.

I think it was no grouping from 5-10 people allow

The PAD have said from day one the airports are free to operate. THey will not stand in the way of that.

THe only people blocking access to the airport are the police and the AOT. THe latter seems more efficient than the police at that.

The AOT, towing the line for the PPP, have closed the airports.

As always corrupt governments will make hay by trying to escalate a problem and then point the finger at their opposition.

People can get in and out of Thailand, and they could even do it at BKK airports if the "government" would stop distorting the truth to try and get themselves out of a no-win situation any way they see possible..

They are grasping at straws and they should be ashamed of their selfish actions.

Changing the subject a little. The funniest thing I saw all day were the scenes where the PAD protestors took the riot shields from the police vans. Priceless.

"We were originally told we were booked on a flight but they are reselling people tickets,"

So they care so muuucchhhhhh tourism hahahahahahahahah

Can you tell us more about that? Not quite sure what do you mean?

Did they told you to arrive at U-Tapao at certai time. You arrived early and was told there is no seat for you?

Did you arrive late? I am sure they won't waste the seat. Hundred are standby at that airport.

The PAD have said from day one the airports are free to operate. THey will not stand in the way of that.

Does 'free to operate' include the blocked streets with barbed wires and armed PAD guards?

What's next? Did a pink elephant just fly past your window or something?

(BangkokPost.com)

A peaceful end to the protest was still the goal, he said. "The government is still in the process of negotiations and I have asked my men not to use force whatever happens. The gunfire will not be heard from police."

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) rejected calls to negotiate. Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang will remain closed until Somchai resigns, said PAD founder and leader Sondhi Limthongkul.

"If we have to die today, I am willing to die. This is a fight for dignity," he said on a broadcast by his own ASTV station.

This Sondhi character sure sounds like a self-righteous prick.

He sure does! Lets hope some pro government sharp shooter gives Sondhi the shot of dignity that he deserves :D Perhaps if the head falls off then this thing will unravel on its own!!!

Um... That's not exactly what I had in mind. You should seek help.

Actually the Thai people need to seek help, because their police force and military seem to be a bunch of lazy unics! The time has come that if the Thai military and police force can't grow some balls then someone with some guts needs to stand up for the country and take out this clown Sondhi :o Better to have one man killed now than hundreds or thousands giving their lives a week from now :D

THe only people blocking access to the airport are the police and the AOT. THe latter seems more efficient than the police at that.

As always corrupt governments will make hay by trying to escalate a problem and then point the finger at their opposition.

People can get in and out of Thailand, and they could even do it at BKK airports if the "government" would stop distorting the truth to try and get themselves out of a no-win situation any way they see possible..

They are grasping at straws and they should be ashamed of their selfish actions.

Changing the subject a little. The funniest thing I saw all day were the scenes where the PAD protestors took the riot shields from the police vans. Priceless.

This is very unfair to AOT. With thousand of people hanging around in my departure hall with wooden stick and metal pipe. I would also close the airport for security reason.

Also, in case you do not know, the first photo I saw, when the sky are still blue (about 6pm), the whole highway leading to terminal is already jam up with cars, having a tailback all the way to motorway. A lot of passengers will not be able to reach the terminal in time, as they are sitting in the jam. It would take almost an hour to walk in, and if you have 20 kg luggage, forget it. And you thaink airline will wait for you to arrived?

(BangkokPost.com)

A peaceful end to the protest was still the goal, he said. "The government is still in the process of negotiations and I have asked my men not to use force whatever happens. The gunfire will not be heard from police."

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) rejected calls to negotiate. Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang will remain closed until Somchai resigns, said PAD founder and leader Sondhi Limthongkul.

"If we have to die today, I am willing to die. This is a fight for dignity," he said on a broadcast by his own ASTV station.

This Sondhi character sure sounds like a self-righteous prick.

He sure does! Lets hope some pro government sharp shooter gives Sondhi the shot of dignity that he deserves :D Perhaps if the head falls off then this thing will unravel on its own!!!

Um... That's not exactly what I had in mind. You should seek help.

Actually the Thai people need to seek help, because their police force and military seem to be a bunch of lazy unics! The time has come that if the Thai military and police force can't grow some balls then someone with some guts needs to stand up for the country and take out this clown Sondhi :o Better to have one man killed now than hundreds or thousands giving their lives a week from now :D

You'll just be making a martyr out of him. And then what? You think his followers will just sit idly by and go "Oh well, time to go home."? Or would hundreds or thousands be giving their lives for him a week from now?

The only resolution to this conflict is for supporters of BOTH sides to unite for a new cause and kick BOTH Sondhi and Somchai out. Neither of them are doing this country any good.

What's the color that results from mixing yellow and red? Everyone should start wearing that.

PAD - People Against Democracy

I think the following statement from the Asian Human Rights Commission is calling a spade a spade. (I apologize if this statement has been posted before.)

THAILAND: Watershed moment for democracy and rule of law

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AHRC-STM-298-2008

November 26, 2008

A Statement by the Asian Human Rights Commission

The takeover of the main international airport in Bangkok by protestors going under the banner of the People's Alliance for Democracy is a watershed moment for democracy and the rule of law in Thailand. It follows some months of increasingly aggressive strategies to get the current government to resign and to block it from making amendments to the 2008 Constitution, which was prepared under the watch of the 2006 military coup leaders and their supporters and pushed through via a deeply flawed referendum.

Alliance members have since August gone from merely occupying spaces like roads and parks to occupying public buildings, in particular, the Government House. Organised armed "guards" have defended their positions both from opponents and from state security personnel. They have also illegally obtained and openly carried an array of manufactured and homemade weapons, including guns from caches that had reportedly been kept in the government premises. They have illegally detained other citizens. They have vandalised, destroyed and stolen public and private property. In the last day or two it has been reported that in addition to occupying the Suvarnabumi airport they have seized busses, and have refused to allow police into the airport to investigate explosions there during the night. They are now reportedly preparing for the latest phase in the "final battle", which is supposedly being instigated under codenames like Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the cities on which the United States military dropped nuclear bombs at the close of World War Two.

The alliance has exhibited a number of features that from past lessons of Thailand and other countries around the world pose grave dangers to the future of the country's imperilled democracy. Of these, the following can be said.

1. They spring from a far-right ideology that has for decades driven successive military-bureaucratic administrations in Thailand, which dramatic changes to political and social life of the last two decades have increasingly threatened.

2. Their coordinated attacks and actions on the pretext of self-defence and national interest are designed to cause a widespread feeling of insecurity and uncertainty and allow reactionary elite forces to push Thailand back to a 1980s model of "half-sail" semi-elected government.

3. The alliance leaders have occupied the public space and forced people throughout Thailand to either take sides for or against them, or to opt out completely, thus alienating millions of people and denying them the opportunity to have a say on the key political and social questions of their time.

Some commentators and opponents of the alliance have described its agenda as fascist. This is not an exaggeration. Experience shows that the types of systemic changes and regimes that follow such movements, although they may not describe themselves as fascist, have fascist qualities. Indeed, successive dictatorships in Thailand's modern history appreciated, expressed and used many fascist symbols and policies, and the residue of these can be found in the language and behaviour of the alliance leaders today.

If these events are allowed to continue, and it is self-evident that they are being allowed, they will effectively undo everything that was done to build a culture of democratic rights and participation in public life in Thailand during the 1990s. The damage that they are now in a position to effect will surpass anything of that caused by the ousted government of Thaksin Shinawatra, and could even provoke a greater disaster than the 2006 coup and scrapping of the 1997 Constitution. Whatever institutional and legal gains were made in the last decade or two will be undone.

Already, the criminal justice system of Thailand has been reduced to an utter joke, its agencies and personnel either unable or unwilling to intervene effectively to protect public property and people's lives, or even prosecute wrongdoers. That the security forces can carry out coups on the whimsy of generals and engage in battles over trifles with those of neighbouring countries but not responsibly protect the Government House or international airport is sheer farce. That government agencies have been forced to negotiate and cut their losses rather than insist that the law be enforced is dangerous folly. And that the senior judiciary, which through a succession of highly politicised judgments has played a major part in contributing to the current mess has nothing useful to contribute when lives are at stake and the country is in greatest need of intelligent guidance is altogether shameful.

Peaceful protest is not only a part of democratic process; it is integral to it. But the rallies and blockades in Bangkok of recent days, weeks and months have not been peaceful. Nor can they properly be called protests at all, as they are not merely demonstrations of a wish, but acts aimed at achieving goals at all costs. And the costs to Thailand have already been very high. They will get higher, and be felt in terms of the lives and liberties of all people in the country if they are not brought to an end. All people in Thailand have a right to oppose this ultra-conservative project for state dominance at their expense.

The Asian Human Rights Commission especially takes this opportunity to call for far greater global attention on events in Thailand, which have passed for these few months without any discernible reaction from international bodies, especially the United Nations. Having vacillated on the 2006 coup the world community cannot afford to this time let things just go on without some meaningful intervention. If Thailand slips further backwards it will be to the detriment not only of its own millions but the entire region. At a time that repressive anti-democratic forces are either making comebacks or strengthening their positions almost everywhere, Thailand cannot afford to be lost.

# # #

About AHRC: The Asian Human Rights Commission is a regional non-governmental organisation monitoring and lobbying human rights issues in Asia. The Hong Kong-based group was founded in 1984.

Posted on 2008-11-26

I'm not allowed to post the URL, so you have to paste it yourself:

www.ahrchk.net/statements/mainfile.php/2008statements/1779/

This bomb that's gone off at government house and injured people................ Is there any confirmation where it came from? What delivery system was used? Was anyone seen fleeing the scene?

The reason i ask is that i would not be at all surprised to find out that the bomb that was exploded actually belonged to the PAD supporters. Could be an accident, could be on purpose to increase sympathy? All i have heard is that a bomb has exploded but no explanation (factuall) stating its origin.

don't get me wrong it could easily be the Government supporters who set it but i have seen nothing that tells me where it came from.

Folks .. these BOMB attacks are terrorism ... sitting in at an airport are not! Sitting in at an airport is civil disobedience!

They're not just sitting at the airport, you know. They have taken it over, rendered it unoperational and attacked the police. They even took one hostage.

Think about it, would people just "sitting in at an airport" be armed with wooden stakes, sling shots, iron bar etc. By their own words, they're staging the "final battle".

It's far more than civil disobedience. It's an act of terrorism. It's an act of treason. Yes, treason because that's exactly what trying to overthrow you're own government is called.

yes this is treason.. you are right.

they are disregarding the police, the government and the courts...

so in the end there can only be one outcome

You don't seem to see what's coming the OTHER direction.... Watch out.

oh i can see it alright

there is only one way all this is going

PAD - People Against Democracy

I think the following statement from the Asian Human Rights Commission is calling a spade a spade. (I apologize if this statement has been posted before.)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AHRC-STM-298-2008

November 26, 2008

A Statement by the Asian Human Rights Commission

The takeover of the main international airport in Bangkok by protestors going under the banner of the People's Alliance for Democracy is a watershed moment for democracy and the rule of law in Thailand. It follows some months of increasingly aggressive strategies to get the current government to resign and to block it from making amendments to the 2008 Constitution, which was prepared under the watch of the 2006 military coup leaders and their supporters and pushed through via a deeply flawed referendum.

Alliance members have since August gone from merely occupying spaces like roads and parks to occupying public buildings, in particular, the Government House. Organised armed "guards" have defended their positions both from opponents and from state security personnel. They have also illegally obtained and openly carried an array of manufactured and homemade weapons, including guns from caches that had reportedly been kept in the government premises. They have illegally detained other citizens. They have vandalised, destroyed and stolen public and private property. In the last day or two it has been reported that in addition to occupying the Suvarnabumi airport they have seized busses, and have refused to allow police into the airport to investigate explosions there during the night. They are now reportedly preparing for the latest phase in the "final battle", which is supposedly being instigated under codenames like Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the cities on which the United States military dropped nuclear bombs at the close of World War Two.

The alliance has exhibited a number of features that from past lessons of Thailand and other countries around the world pose grave dangers to the future of the country's imperilled democracy. Of these, the following can be said.

1. They spring from a far-right ideology that has for decades driven successive military-bureaucratic administrations in Thailand, which dramatic changes to political and social life of the last two decades have increasingly threatened.

2. Their coordinated attacks and actions on the pretext of self-defence and national interest are designed to cause a widespread feeling of insecurity and uncertainty and allow reactionary elite forces to push Thailand back to a 1980s model of "half-sail" semi-elected government.

3. The alliance leaders have occupied the public space and forced people throughout Thailand to either take sides for or against them, or to opt out completely, thus alienating millions of people and denying them the opportunity to have a say on the key political and social questions of their time.

Some commentators and opponents of the alliance have described its agenda as fascist. This is not an exaggeration. Experience shows that the types of systemic changes and regimes that follow such movements, although they may not describe themselves as fascist, have fascist qualities. Indeed, successive dictatorships in Thailand's modern history appreciated, expressed and used many fascist symbols and policies, and the residue of these can be found in the language and behaviour of the alliance leaders today.

If these events are allowed to continue, and it is self-evident that they are being allowed, they will effectively undo everything that was done to build a culture of democratic rights and participation in public life in Thailand during the 1990s. The damage that they are now in a position to effect will surpass anything of that caused by the ousted government of Thaksin Shinawatra, and could even provoke a greater disaster than the 2006 coup and scrapping of the 1997 Constitution. Whatever institutional and legal gains were made in the last decade or two will be undone.

Already, the criminal justice system of Thailand has been reduced to an utter joke, its agencies and personnel either unable or unwilling to intervene effectively to protect public property and people's lives, or even prosecute wrongdoers. That the security forces can carry out coups on the whimsy of generals and engage in battles over trifles with those of neighbouring countries but not responsibly protect the Government House or international airport is sheer farce. That government agencies have been forced to negotiate and cut their losses rather than insist that the law be enforced is dangerous folly. And that the senior judiciary, which through a succession of highly politicised judgments has played a major part in contributing to the current mess has nothing useful to contribute when lives are at stake and the country is in greatest need of intelligent guidance is altogether shameful.

Peaceful protest is not only a part of democratic process; it is integral to it. But the rallies and blockades in Bangkok of recent days, weeks and months have not been peaceful. Nor can they properly be called protests at all, as they are not merely demonstrations of a wish, but acts aimed at achieving goals at all costs. And the costs to Thailand have already been very high. They will get higher, and be felt in terms of the lives and liberties of all people in the country if they are not brought to an end. All people in Thailand have a right to oppose this ultra-conservative project for state dominance at their expense.

The Asian Human Rights Commission especially takes this opportunity to call for far greater global attention on events in Thailand, which have passed for these few months without any discernible reaction from international bodies, especially the United Nations. Having vacillated on the 2006 coup the world community cannot afford to this time let things just go on without some meaningful intervention. If Thailand slips further backwards it will be to the detriment not only of its own millions but the entire region. At a time that repressive anti-democratic forces are either making comebacks or strengthening their positions almost everywhere, Thailand cannot afford to be lost.

# # #

About AHRC: The Asian Human Rights Commission is a regional non-governmental organisation monitoring and lobbying human rights issues in Asia. The Hong Kong-based group was founded in 1984.

Posted on 2008-11-26

I'm not allowed to post the URL, so you have to paste it yourself:

www.ahrchk.net/statements/mainfile.php/2008statements/1779/

yes - a good post and underlines the vast majority of the international and thai opinion.

like i have said 100 times already the military is behind PAD

PAD is only a front

So they are guilty about all problem that thailand have?

Whitout them thailand is the land of smile and is a democratic country?

whitout them all people in thailand have a right money and a egual rights?

Sorry im a newbe in thailand and i dont understand nothing about politics...

if is like that i hope they lose

ciao

Funny the fan boys from the RED and YELLOW sides aren't willing accept the idea that someone is allowed to have a difference of opinion with resorting to some sort of flame or out right personal attack.

I do accept a different opinion, but I find it ridiculous when someone says that the airport is free to operate when all streets to it are blocked by barbed wire and armed guards. It wasn't innocent people that make life difficult for these terrorists. It is these terrorists that make life difficult for innocent people. And before you say Thaksin isn't innocent, I know that. I'm not talking about Thaksin, I'm talking about the innocent people that suffer and have personal losses.

No matter how much they try to justify their actions, they are still terrorists. Nothing more, nothing less. They claimed that they took the airport to prevent the PM from returning from Chile. Well, he landed anyways and they didn't clear the airport. Then they changed their story and said they wouldn't leave until the PM resigns. The PM may resign on the 2nd and they will change their story again.

They are terrorists holding the country, it's people, it's economy and it's reputation hostage. Period.

Well I got as far as page 19 but that was it.

The way I see it is the elitists (information taken from reading the forum only so don't ask for evidence) are the PAD and the poor PPP (predominantly the North and Isaan). PAD are the minority and the PPP the majority. PAD don't like it when the poor majority make a choice that may affect them (badly as they see it) and want to alter the voting structure to prevent that from happening. They then blockade the airports and disrupt the country generally (in the name of democracy) and the end result will be the poor people will suffer the most. Hmmm is there a pattern (stratagy) here?

The government will soon be dissolved for corruption (so it would seem) but this still goes ahead, why? Is it because toppling the government (yeah I know they are not the government because of corruption and vote buying) is not the agenda but to make sure the poor people do not get a fair shake? After all the general consensus is they will just be voted in again. So who will gain from this? If the people make a mistake and the guilty one does gain power one way or another how long before the people wake up? Some societies (and I think this is evident to some degree in Thailand) will allow their children to put their hands into a fire and get burnt because they know they will learn from it...

Can't wait for a reply :o

Anyway I think they should just put Thaksin and Sondhi in their own cell together and "Big Brother" it as the new Thai soapie :D .

The people in PAD can't lose really if this their agenda but I can see a VERY serious long term "war" coming from this, from what I have seen here the people up North and from Isaan already have a "dislike" for those in the South. Thaksin used this to his own end (IMO). As in most developing countries (history is full of it), and demonstrated by the poor peoples attitude to material things here, the poor will not remain down trodden forever and a "revolution" of sorts is in the wind.

IMHO

Just watching TNN live and it looks like the PAD are having a shift change. Truck loads leaving and truck loads arriving. Although i hate to say this they look to be very organised. If the Police were as well organised they would stop the numbers arriving from entering the airport.

Cheers, Rick

I watched and noticed the same thing. They appear to be very organized.

What's the color that results from mixing yellow and red? Everyone should start wearing that.

Orange.

Unfortunately that is the birthday colour of Sondhi :o

It's also the color of monks' robes. The implications are endless!

*going out to buy some orange t-shirts*

Well I got as far as page 19 but that was it.

The way I see it is the elitists (information taken from reading the forum only so don't ask for evidence) are the PAD and the poor PPP (predominantly the North and Isaan). PAD are the minority and the PPP the majority. PAD don't like it when the poor majority make a choice that may affect them (badly as they see it) and want to alter the voting structure to prevent that from happening. They then blockade the airports and disrupt the country generally (in the name of democracy) and the end result will be the poor people will suffer the most. Hmmm is there a pattern (stratagy) here?

The government will soon be dissolved for corruption (so it would seem) but this still goes ahead, why? Is it because toppling the government (yeah I know they are not the government because of corruption and vote buying) is not the agenda but to make sure the poor people do not get a fair shake? After all the general consensus is they will just be voted in again. So who will gain from this? If the people make a mistake and the guilty one does gain power one way or another how long before the people wake up? Some societies (and I think this is evident to some degree in Thailand) will allow their children to put their hands into a fire and get burnt because they know they will learn from it...

Can't wait for a reply :o

Anyway I think they should just put Thaksin and Sondhi in their own cell together and "Big Brother" it as the new Thai soapie :D .

The people in PAD can't lose really if this their agenda but I can see a VERY serious long term "war" coming from this, from what I have seen here the people up North and from Isaan already have a "dislike" for those in the South. Thaksin used this to his own end (IMO). As in most developing countries (history is full of it), and demonstrated by the poor peoples attitude to material things here, the poor will not remain down trodden forever and a "revolution" of sorts is in the wind.

IMHO

Could be TIME for LANNA to declare Independance from the rest of T-Land...(used to be )

.....but who could be president?.......

need a couple minutes on that one....me thinks :D

US, UK AND EU CONDEMN AIRPORT CLOSURES BANGKOK POST AND AFP

The United States, Britain and the European Union have issued statements urging anti-government protesters to vacate Bangkok's airports, saying the rallies are inappropriate and "seriously damaging" Thailand's image.

The US statement by Gordon Duguid, acting deputy spokesman of the Department of State said: "The US is deeply concerned about the actions of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) in seizing Bangkok's international and domestic airports, preventing the free movement of people and goods.

"While we respect the right to freedom of expression, seizing an airport is not an appropriate means of protest.

"We urge the PAD to walk away from the airports peacefully.

"We hope that this situation can be resolved without violence and in accordance with the law."

Britain's Foreign and Commonwealth Office Minister Bill Rammell said yesterday that the situation facing the many British nationals stranded in Bangkok is frustrating and deeply concerning.

"Our priority is to help them get home, and I am grateful for the support provided by the Thai authorities to those affected," he said.

"Our consular teams on the ground and in London are doing all they can to help. They are taking numerous calls and are meeting as many British nationals as possible. Our travel advice is regularly updated and I urge people to monitor it closely.

"I call on all parties in Thailand to take steps to resolve the crisis and restore public order, respecting the rule of law and the country's democratic institutions.

"The events of the last few days have damaged Thailand's international reputation, so I welcome the announcement that negotiations will take place with demonstrators tomorrow," Mr Rammell said.

A statement from EU ambassadors in Bangkok called on all parties to resolve the political crisis peacefully and in line with democratic institutions but it focused on the acts of the demonstrators.

"While respecting the right of protesting and without interfering in any way with the internal political debate in Thailand, the EU considers that these actions are totally inappropriate," the statement said.

"They are seriously damaging the international image of Thailand."

The statement said more than 100,000 passengers had been left stranded as a result of the anti-government protests.

The ambassadors "urge the protesters to evacuate the airports peacefully without delay in order to avoid a major consular crisis and its economic consequences for Thailand", the statement said.

Videos: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Chaos-Bangkok-t225194.html

It's hard to believe you're being serious. Surely you're joking? Either that or you're another member with his head buried very deeply in the sand.