Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

JD ---again you are avoiding the terrorism claim because no one was hurt by the PAD's irresponsible actions. Seiging an airport and breaking into the control tower during its operations is an act of terrorism plain and clear. The disruption could have caused a 747 to crash and kill 400 tourist. It was lucky no one was hurt. If during 911 the passengers had got control of the airplanes and they landed and no one was hurt would that make it not an act of terrorism?

Joe --- 3 people were allowed into the control tower if I remember correctly. The PAD are having a peaceful sit-in at the airport.

Could Could Could ----Joe get real they didn't kill anyone. They didn't beat people. They took a group of people, walked into the airport area .. set up some defenses and sat down ... turned on the music .. chatted with the people they were inconveniencing ...

Terrorist is just a word you are bandying about to to dehumanize them, they have been overall a very calm and polite group when it came to talking with the passengers at the airport.

This is a battle for the future of Thailand and frankly very little else matters to these people (and if anything else mattered to the Gov't other than holding power and protecting their benefactor, they would have called new elections)

JD, Please provide me with your address so we can come into your house with red shirts and set up some defenses and turn on the music and if we are inconveniencing you we will chat with you to make it OK. We will not kill anyone so this should make it OK also. Please provide your address. Hope to see you tomorrow.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry if I sound a little tetchy but how difficult is it to scan anything that you intend to post and make sure that it conforms to forum rules - viz:

"No disrespect of the King of Thailand or The Thai Royal Family! Discussion of topics concerning the King or other current or deceased members of the Thai Royal Family is forbidden."

Post deleted.

JD ---again you are avoiding the terrorism claim because no one was hurt by the PAD's irresponsible actions. Seiging an airport and breaking into the control tower during its operations is an act of terrorism plain and clear. The disruption could have caused a 747 to crash and kill 400 tourist. It was lucky no one was hurt. If during 911 the passengers had got control of the airplanes and they landed and no one was hurt would that make it not an act of terrorism?

Joe --- 3 people were allowed into the control tower if I remember correctly. The PAD are having a peaceful sit-in at the airport.

Could Could Could ----Joe get real they didn't kill anyone. They didn't beat people. They took a group of people, walked into the airport area .. set up some defenses and sat down ... turned on the music .. chatted with the people they were inconveniencing ...

Terrorist is just a word you are bandying about to to dehumanize them, they have been overall a very calm and polite group when it came to talking with the passengers at the airport.

This is a battle for the future of Thailand and frankly very little else matters to these people (and if anything else mattered to the Gov't other than holding power and protecting their benefactor, they would have called new elections)

The PAD has used violence according to some of the posted news reports. Also the Government would be re elected (under the current rules) if they did call new elections. They have nothing to lose.

Cheers, Rick.

Rick ... in response to being attacked it seems ....

As for the government being re-elected? that is incredibly doubtful! They are a coalition government made up of parties that promised their constituents NOT to form a government with the PPP (and yes the Demos got more votes overall)

Well according to the Reuters report they violently attacked the police. As for the re election i will put it this way. A pro Thaksin government will be elected if the elcetions are called. The red are the majority and will therefore win. This is unless of course the PAD manage to change the rules and impose the majority of the Government on the people.

Cheers, Rick

Edited by bangkokrick

By Ed Cropley

BANGKOK, Nov 29 (Reuters) - The assault by the People's Alliance for

Democracy (PAD)

Ok all you pro-PAD members who claim "peaceful protest" ad infinitum on here, please give me one reason not to call you're PAD friends TERRORIST SCUM.

Many of you cried over this terminology ealier today and yesterday so I imagine you have some explanation or excuse for PAD's terroristic activities.

Is it just me, or is it (partly) the fact that this was written 4 days after the event that makes the story a little suspect ?

Was this person there ?

Did he actually witness the events as he described them ?

Or is he tossing a few facts in with some fantasy to make the story sound better ?

Because that bit there sounded more like the script for an action movie than a news story.

(I've been going back over the threads and news stories from when the PAD first took over the airport, and I don't see any reports of this kind of "assault" taking place. I may have missed it though, or it could just be bullsh*t)

Maybe the Thai are right, farang don't understand Thai politics or culture at all, even after they've spent decades here.

I've noticed a precious few posters who seem to have a grasp on the underlying issues, most are scratching around on the surface, fooled and confused by the smoke and mirrors.

The threads remind me of people running around in a maze, babbling incoherently. :D

How to win friends and influence people :D

A good starting point would be to have a refresher course on 14th and 15th century European politics and society. It took a while but seems that Thailand is catching up. :o

Ok all you pro-PAD members who claim "peaceful protest" ad infinitum on here, please give me one reason not to call you're PAD friends TERRORIST SCUM.

Many of you cried over this terminology ealier today and yesterday so I imagine you have some explanation or excuse for PAD's terroristic activities.

Well Tropo, as you like to call people names (you want me to add your pm to me?), it's clear to that you resent peaceful protesters, or PAD as you wish. You are an unmannered person who has threatening words for anyone opposing your limited point of view.

I mean, what kind of intelligent human being calls peaceful protesters terrorist scum? Only fools do!

Is it just me, or is it (partly) the fact that this was written 4 days after the event that makes the story a little suspect ?

It must be you because the date on the report is November 29, the same day of that event.

It could be bullshit....and it could be true, like any report, but it does match other reports today which indicated the police fled.

Maybe the Thai are right, farang don't understand Thai politics or culture at all, even after they've spent decades here.

I've noticed a precious few posters who seem to have a grasp on the underlying issues, most are scratching around on the surface, fooled and confused by the smoke and mirrors.

The threads remind me of people running around in a maze, babbling incoherently. :D

How to win friends and influence people :o

A better approach would be the ability herein to discuss Article 7, rachaprachasamasai, the Ramkhamhaeng Inscription, political/social dynamics, and changes in the perceptive environment. But, for reasons I understand, not here, I expect.

Regards

Well according to the Reuters report they violently attacked the police. As for the re election i will put it this way. A pro Thaksin government will be elected if the elcetions are called. The red are the majority and will therefore win. This is unless of course the PAD manage to change the rules and impose the majority of the Government on the people.

Cheers, Rick

Rick ... how many police were wounded? We have the reports of the police being armed with m-16's and riot gear, and this report of some guys with some sticks and a slingshot! They forced the police to clear their supply lines without causing (apparently) any injuries. I hate to say it ... but those guys had BIG eggs! Charging an armed police checkpoint to drive them back --- so supplies could get through. (Then again it could have been a set-up!)

"The red are the majority"? They were not in the last elections ... the PPP isn't the majority of Parliament now! They are in a coalition government with parties that promised their constituencies not to join them. Vote for Vote the democrats got the most in the last elections ...

Edited by jdinasia

terrorism

noun

the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear

Seems to me that taking over an airport and instilling fear ( don't tell me noone was scared of the events the other night ) or having mass aggressive political meetings ( again don't even pretend to tell me that anyone not agreeing with their stance would be safe in a crowd of 500 or so yellow shirts wielding sticks, clubs or machete's ) is thratening behaviour against both the Political leaders AND any civilian supporters.

Or do you pretend to say that a small group of Red shirts would be able to walk through the Airport in the sure knowledge they were safe from reprisal.

Make no mistake the acts of PAD in any dictionary ARE acts of Terrorism no matter how many ways or times a person tries to justify it.

BangKok, Nov 29 (Reuters) - The assault by the People's Alliance for

Democracy (PAD)

The implication in the piece is clearly that this 'assault' took place some time this evening. It's far more 'feature' in flavour than the original straight-up news piece that appears on the Reuters site.

Obviously we can't still be going over the 'protesters' vs. 'terrorists' debate. There is no argument left to be had. A police officer was dragged into a vehicle and kidnapped. Nobody in their right mind, with any intelligence whatsoever, is going to continue to insist that the PAD are staging a peaceful sit-in at the airport. Let's put that to bed please. The violence so far is coming from the PAD. The kidnapping, the incident with the police checkpoint, the rhetoric ('fight to the death'), so it's clear now that whoever you're supporting in this that the 'peaceful sit-in' line no longer holds any water. So let's move on from that and talk about where we are as things stand now.

I'm with no side here. Selfishly, perhaps, my main concern is with my flight to the UK with my wife (supposed to be on the 1st), and so I must confess the PAD would never have been my best friends in all this, but seriously, I think we can drop some of the BS now as far as peaceful protesting and the PAD's intentions in all this. The word 'terrorists' may still be a little strong, but it's no longer a stretch. Who can possibly argue that now? (that's a genuine invitation - is there something I'm missing??)

Well Tropo, as you like to call people names (you want me to add your pm to me?), it's clear to that you resent peaceful protesters, or PAD as you wish. You are an unmannered person who has threatening words for anyone opposing your limited point of view.

I mean, what kind of intelligent human being calls peaceful protesters terrorist scum? Only fools do!

There you go, a pro-PAD member comes out excusing violent PAD activities, but doesn't even offer an excuse other than reiterating that they are still peaceful.

I don't resent peaceful protesters at all. I resent "terrorist scum" which these people have become...and you for being a real pain in the a**.

Just because they haven't killed anyone doesn't mean they're "peaceful protesters". Look at the definition of the word "terrorism". It's basically any act of disrupting civilian assets or infrastructure for political purposes. PAD's occupation of Suvarnaphum fits that description. They might've been "peaceful" protesters before, but once they bombarded the airport, they've crossed the line.

Unfortunately the PAD aren't exactly peaceful, so Tropo does have a point!!! :o

Overtaking a corrupt government with mostly women and old people, is relatively seen as peaceful yes.

PAD has been under attack from day 1 by thugs and by genatile showing lowlifes and has had to defend itself on occasion.

You can hardly call this an aggresive movement, unless your biased or ignorant.

Assume there was glitch, I posted earlier that Ed Cropley had two reports datelined about 10/15 minutes apart on Reuters, and one on Forbes. Appear to be the same event but edited [written?] in different styles.

The more colourful Forbes version includes Bangkok newsroom number and editor contact.

Regards

/edit I've removed the links herein since thay might be a cause for concern//

Edited by A_Traveller

Overtaking a corrupt government with mostly women and old people, is relatively seen as peaceful yes.

PAD has been under attack from day 1 by thugs and by genatile showing lowlifes and has had to defend itself on occasion.

I've never come across a poster with his head buried so deep in the sand.

Get your head out and have a look at what is really going on.

I really can't see where you can go with this. Please, don't get me wrong. I'm no fan of the government, but surely you're not saying that kidnapping a police officer is peaceful? I'm baffled by some of what I'm reading here. Where's the common sense? If you're backing someone here, whoever it is, there's no getting past that kind of act. It seems fairly clear to me that it this is not at all a peaceful sit-in. Seriously, where am I going wrong? I thought kidnapping police officers was fairly aggressive and and potentially somewhat illegal.

Cheers, Rick

Rick ... how many police were wounded? We have the reports of the police being armed with m-16's and riot gear, and this report of some guys with some sticks and a slingshot! They forced the police to clear their supply lines without causing (apparently) any injuries. I hate to say it ... but those guys had BIG eggs! Charging an armed police checkpoint to drive them back --- so supplies could get through. (Then again it could have been a set-up!)

"The red are the majority"? They were not in the last elections ... the PPP isn't the majority of Parliament now! They are in a coalition government with parties that promised their constituencies not to join them. Vote for Vote the democrats got the most in the last elections ...

We don't know how many police were injured because as far as i am aware it has not been published. The PAD publicly stated that the isaan people hold the majority vote in Thailand and that is where Thaksin gets most of his support. That is also common knowledge and that is what this is really all about isn't it. The PAD don't want Thaksin to return because if he did he would be re elected in a breath. Sad but true.

The other point is that i believe that this is more personal than the goals of the PAD. Sondhi and Thaksin have a past and i am sure that you are aware of that. I think it's more a point of getting even than anything else.

Cheers, Rick

News from The Nation: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/topstory/r...newsid=30089768

The Army will follow orders from the government in dealing with protesters and will also try to avoid the use of force against the protesters, its spokesman said yesterday.

Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd also dismissed a perception that the Army was resisting government authority.

Sansern said the Army would provide three companies of soldiers, as requested by the police, to support their operation at Suvarnabhumi Airport, which was seized along with the Don Mueang Airport by protesters from the People's Alliance for Democracy.

He said troops would not be involved in the dispersal of the protesters but would focus on preventing more people from joining the protest.

The spokesman said Army commander-in-chief General Anupong Paochinda had instructed his subordinates, as a mechanism of the state, to follow orders in a way that would cause the least possible damage.

He also pointed out that in the prime minister's order declaring a state of emergency the police were mainly responsible for dealing with the protesters while the Air Force would assist at Don Mueang and the Navy at Suvarnabhumi.

Sansern explained that the arrangement was in line with the allocation of duties among the armed forces, as the Army was responsible for the inner areas of Bangkok.

The Army spokesman said yesterday that 17 companies from the Army would be involved in a city-wide mission to keep law and order, with troops stationed at state agencies and major intersections.

He also said there would be troop movements in a day or two for a rehearsal of the trooping of the colours ahead of His Majesty the King's birthday. He reiterated the Army chief's insistence that there would be no coup.

I just read a report that 50,000 Thai citizens are outside of Thailand and can't return home because there are no inbound flights. Their visas are expiring and their funds are surely not infinite either. What about them?

I know that was tongue in cheek, but a very good point Rainman we tend to think of this as just an internal matter.

Cheers, Rick

... and some number on damages for the Thai population here: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/topstory/r...newsid=30089771

Tourist arrivals will fall by half to between six and seven million next year as a consequence of the ongoing shutdown of Bangkok's airports, which could put over a million jobs in the tourism industry at risk, said Deputy Prime Minister Olarn Chaiprawat.

After an urgent meeting with Transport Minister Weerasak Kow-surat, Deputy Foreign Minister Sompong Amornwiwat and private tourism operators yesterday, Olarn said the shutdown would have a medium-term impact on the industry.

Due to the closure of Suvarnabhumi Airport since Tuesday, he estimated that over 30,000 travellers per day would miss their flights.

Last year Thailand welcomed 14.5 million tourists. The entire industry is expected to generate Bt600 billion in annualised revenue, but the Bank of Thailand estimates a Bt140-billion shortfall due to the airport stand-off.

"Tourist arrivals this year will fall from the 15.4-million target to 13.5 million. Next year it could be only 6-7 million. This would have a serious impact on tourism and related industries such as restaurants and spas, and over one million workers could lose their jobs," he said. Olarn said it would take a month to clear all stranded tourists, who now exceeded 100,000.

Bomb exploded at PAD's rally site inside the Government House

A bomb exploded inside Thailand's Government House compound at 11.50pm on Saturday, wounding around 10 of anti-government protesters. According to People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), there is no report of death but about 10 people injured from the bomb. No names and exact figure has been reported yet.

From The Nation

Edited by MKAsok

We don't know how many police were injured because as far as i am aware it has not been published. The PAD publicly stated that the isaan people hold the majority vote in Thailand and that is where Thaksin gets most of his support. That is also common knowledge and that is what this is really all about isn't it. The PAD don't want Thaksin to return because if he did he would be re elected in a breath. Sad but true.

The other point is that i believe that this is more personal than the goals of the PAD. Sondhi and Thaksin have a past and i am sure that you are aware of that. I think it's more a point of getting even than anything else.

Cheers, Rick

Rick ... again --- look at the last elections and how they worked out. The PPP got fewer votes than the Democrats and were forced to form a coalition government.

This is about FAR more than Thaksin and Sondhi. It is Thaksin though! Thaksin isn't eligible for public office for awhile yet and still has a 2 year sentence to serve.

What the pad has been doing for over three months is not a mere protest. They have taken it a step further, first by occupying Government house, they have tried to surround parliament, preventing people from entering or leaving the building. Now they have occupied two airports.

Peacefull protestors they are cleary not, not by any stretch of the imagination. Calling them terrorist is IMHO a bridge to far. That doesn't mean that I don't support removal of these people from the airport, and I'm amazed that they have been allowed to stay there for this long already. But I think they will be allowed to stay there for some time more, as it seems the body that is in charge of law and order, doesn't want to interfere or simply is scared to, in regards to the clumsy actions at the parliament begin October.