Is The Pad A Cult.

HenryLongfellow

I firmly believe that the PAD has become a cult.

Cult
typically refers to a cohesive social group devoted to beliefs or practices that the surrounding population considers to be outside the mainstream, with a notably positive or negative popular perception.

A group's cult status begins as rumors spread of its novel belief system, its great devotions, its idiosyncratic practices, its perceived harmful or beneficial effects on members or its perceived opposition to the interests of mainstream cultures and governments. Persistent rumors may follow relatively small and recently founded religious or non-religious groups when they are perceived to engage in excessive member control or exploitation.

The PAD fits this description completely.

The leaders of PAD have used the innate love for the King and dislike for Taksin within its followers as a starting point to manipulate and control the minds and actions of its members.

What do you think?

Cult
typically refers to a cohesive social group devoted to beliefs or practices that the surrounding population considers to be outside the mainstream, with a notably positive or negative popular perception.

A group's cult status begins as rumors spread of its novel belief system, its great devotions, its idiosyncratic practices, its perceived harmful or beneficial effects on members or its perceived opposition to the interests of mainstream cultures and governments. Persistent rumors may follow relatively small and recently founded religious or non-religious groups when they are perceived to engage in excessive member control or exploitation.

I think it's a power struggle between two institutions, both of which aren't that different than the other, or at least haven't been in the past until one of them overstepped their required boundaries recently. How else do u think some middle aged women and old folks with plastic hand clappers have been untouchable in this saga? Meanwhile, both institutions are quite happy to let the poor remain uneducated.

The leaders of PAD have used the innate love for the King and dislike for Taksin within its followers as a starting point to manipulate and control the minds and actions of its members.

What do you think?

No, the word cult is usually associated with religious/spiritually oriented groups. PAD is a political group.

In common or popular usage, "cult" has a positive connotation for groups of art, music, writing, fiction, and fashion devotees (see Cult following), but a negative connotation for new religious, extreme political, questionable therapeutic, and pyramidal business groups.For this reason, most, if not all, non-fan groups that are called cults reject this label.

Edited by HenryLongfellow

Cult

I think it's a power struggle between two institutions, both of which aren't that different than the other, or at least haven't been in the past until one of them overstepped their required boundaries recently. How else do u think some middle aged women and old folks with plastic hand clappers have been untouchable in this saga? Meanwhile, both institutions are quite happy to let the poor remain uneducated.

What do you think?

I think it is a quasi-political mob, a manifestation of Thailand's descent from a democracy to a ochlocracy (a country ruled by mobs), which puts it on a par with very few countries in the world, and I can only think of Somalia off the top of my head.

lol ... since the PAD does not tell people WHAT to believe ... no
But they do, example.

Finland plot, every member of PAD (maybe except for the one's that invented the story) believe that the current goverment is directly associate with replacing the King with a Republic.

A theory with zero evidence to support it.

Edited by HenryLongfellow

lol ... since the PAD does not tell people WHAT to believe ... no
But they do, example.

Finland plot, every member of PAD (maybe except for the one's that invented the story) believe that the current goverment is directly associate with replacing the King with a Republic.

A theory with zero evidence to support it.

Wow

and I thought I knew a lot about the PAD, but you claim to be aware of what every member believes! (Maybe the anti-PAD is a cult?) TRT/PPP is certainly a cult of the personality (Thaksin)

The PAD doesn't even have a singular platform --- many people believe and want differing things AFTER they get the one thing they want first --- an end to Thaksin's abuses in the Thai political system

and siam4ever ---- ummm they are brainwashed but not with a singular belief system? LOL

PAD is a cult - mate of mine's wife is brainwashed beyond belief. He's given up on trying to talk sense to her because it doesnt do any good. Sad really - hopefully the PAD will be crushed and thailand can go back to being fun/happy again. :o

You probably think the young people caught up in the elect Obama movement were a cult too by that standard.

PAD is a cult - mate of mine's wife is brainwashed beyond belief. He's given up on trying to talk sense to her because it doesnt do any good. Sad really - hopefully the PAD will be crushed and thailand can go back to being fun/happy again. :o

You probably think the young people caught up in the elect Obama movement were a cult too by that standard.

What's the link between Obama and PAD?

You know is was just thinking exactly this today.

Especially after reading about the "We will fight to the death", and then thinking about all the women/children who are sat about at the airport. So they are all going to fight to the death too? Seeing as women/children VS. Police/Army would pretty much amount to suicide...kind of got me thinking about how similar it is to a cult.

Edited by dave111223

Brainwashed? Wow! is "Brainwashing" that easy?

I am sure the pubs are still open and Thailand is still 'fun' ... happy? Has it ever been HAPPY?