Wireless Router Die On Me

Richard-BKK

I have for years, with pleasure, used a D-Link DSL-G604T but now it has given up, I cannot remember that I ever turned it off. So being "on" for about 5-years must be the end of it live cycle.

The problem is now that I get on the computers cable disconnected and then connected...etc I tested the cables and everything is fine, so it is the all-in-one 4-port D-Link router. O and today I changed the power-supply, that did not help.

So now I'm looking for a replacement, of course I can read all reviews and look up the prices, if they even sell them in Thailand... our I just as for advice here...

What is a good ADSL all-in-one router and what is your experience with some others....???

Sure Bino,

I not want people that I'm thinking less of D-link, basically my first choice is D-Link. As most of my network stuff is from D-Link (at home at at my company, just because they seem to see the human touch)....

As extension to my question is that I'm still like of Thai users have several routers from True and TOT, so as wireless is a serious no problem, I was thinking of just buying a 100/1000 switch as all of our computers at home support 1k network

Easiest solution is to get a new all in one D-Link router. I have had good experience with them as well, the only problem is that the web interface is clunky and hard to use. But the hardware is top and the software too once you get past the set up.

If you need high performance, you might want to look into D-Link gaming-grade routers. These will handle all you can throw at them, e.g. torrents.

Best solution is to get a DSL modem (any will do) and a separate WiFi router with Tomato open source firmware installed. Tomato turns a cheap Linksys WRT54GL into a gaming grade router and provides a better interface than any commercial router. The problem is that the setup is intricate - you want to run the DSL modem in bridge mode and let the LinkSys handle PPPOE and all other settings, and that requires some setup. Easy to do if you know how, but not recommended if you just want something to run out of the box.

Easiest solution is to get a new all in one D-Link router. I have had good experience with them as well, the only problem is that the web interface is clunky and hard to use. But the hardware is top and the software too once you get past the set up.

If you need high performance, you might want to look into D-Link gaming-grade routers. These will handle all you can throw at them, e.g. torrents.

Best solution is to get a DSL modem (any will do) and a separate WiFi router with Tomato open source firmware installed. Tomato turns a cheap Linksys WRT54GL into a gaming grade router and provides a better interface than any commercial router. The problem is that the setup is intricate - you want to run the DSL modem in bridge mode and let the LinkSys handle PPPOE and all other settings, and that requires some setup. Easy to do if you know how, but not recommended if you just want something to run out of the box.

I am a big fan of tomato firmware running on a WRT54GL - the latest test build even has TCP Vegas.

for a cheap price ~1800 baht you get an extremely versatile unit if you flash it waith open firmware - Qos , VPN server/client , many wifi modes - I am using one now configured as a wireless client which is connected to a public AP , my 54GL is running a openVPN client connected all the time to another 54GL running the VPN server , excellent and always on.