How I Flew Back To Thailand

eyebee

I was on a short holiday to visit a friend in Australia, and was due to return yesterday (28th). I had a confirmed flight from Perth to KL on Air Asia, and from KL to Bangkok, again on Air Asia.

When I got to KL and presented my ticket, they told me that I couldn't go to BKK (obviously), but said they could put me on a plane anywhere else. After toying with the idea of Ulaan Bataar, I decided on Phuket, figuring I might get the Bangkok Air flight to U-Tapao. And as I live in Pattaya, that would be a better bet for me than Suvarnabhumi.

I get to Phuket about 1:30. Loads of touts around the airport offering taxis to Bangkok - how long would that take, I wondered, and what would it cost? So I go to the Bangkok Airways desk. I ask about flights to U-Tapao. "Last flight today at 2:45 but all flights full until December 3rd", I am told. "Can I go on the standby list for today?", I ask. "OK, but must pay first, and four people already on standby." Anyway, I pay for the ticket (3,800 baht), and wait. The plane is delayed until 3:10 - but finally I am told I have a seat. Whew!

We get to U-Tapao about 4:45, and it is packed! 4 jumbos were diverted from Suvarnabhumi, arriving at about the same time, and they have 2 customs officers on duty! Still, I forgive them as U-Tapao is not used to this, and those of us from Phuket were guided through unhindered(as it was a domestic flight).

More was to come however. U-Tapao has just one luggage carousel. If you've ever been to a British Pub on a Saturday night, when people are queueing up five-deep at the bar - that's what it felt like. I couldn't even see the belt, let alone get to my luggage.

However, Bangkok Air arranged for our luggage to be brought out through a side door, so we got it sooner than those on the jumbos!

Once outside the airport, there was more chaos. Masses of tour busses, taxis, private cars and people everywhere. I managed to find the Bangkok Air bus to Pattaya (cost 250 baht), and finally arrived home at 6:30. Only 5 hours late!

My question is: can I claim my extra costs of 4,000 baht from PAD? :o

I was on a short holiday to visit a friend in Australia, and was due to return yesterday (28th). I had a confirmed flight from Perth to KL on Air Asia, and from KL to Bangkok, again on Air Asia.

When I got to KL and presented my ticket, they told me that I couldn't go to BKK (obviously), but said they could put me on a plane anywhere else. After toying with the idea of Ulaan Bataar, I decided on Phuket, figuring I might get the Bangkok Air flight to U-Tapao. And as I live in Pattaya, that would be a better bet for me than Suvarnabhumi.

I get to Phuket about 1:30. Loads of touts around the airport offering taxis to Bangkok - how long would that take, I wondered, and what would it cost? So I go to the Bangkok Airways desk. I ask about flights to U-Tapao. "Last flight today at 2:45 but all flights full until December 3rd", I am told. "Can I go on the standby list for today?", I ask. "OK, but must pay first, and four people already on standby." Anyway, I pay for the ticket (3,800 baht), and wait. The plane is delayed until 3:10 - but finally I am told I have a seat. Whew!

We get to U-Tapao about 4:45, and it is packed! 4 jumbos were diverted from Suvarnabhumi, arriving at about the same time, and they have 2 customs officers on duty! Still, I forgive them as U-Tapao is not used to this, and those of us from Phuket were guided through unhindered(as it was a domestic flight).

More was to come however. U-Tapao has just one luggage carousel. If you've ever been to a British Pub on a Saturday night, when people are queueing up five-deep at the bar - that's what it felt like. I couldn't even see the belt, let alone get to my luggage.

However, Bangkok Air arranged for our luggage to be brought out through a side door, so we got it sooner than those on the jumbos!

Once outside the airport, there was more chaos. Masses of tour busses, taxis, private cars and people everywhere. I managed to find the Bangkok Air bus to Pattaya (cost 250 baht), and finally arrived home at 6:30. Only 5 hours late!

My question is: can I claim my extra costs of 4,000 baht from PAD? :o

100+ USD & 5 hours late. Call your luck. I like to hear from others as well.

Well done ...good for you.....its all an adventure..init..

Ref a refund from the PAD ...I believe that there is a number that you can rig and they will arrange a full repayment............

cant actually find it at the moment but sure that it will be advertised by their bankers/backers... :o

Try to look at life as an adventure and not as stress. Who knows, you might actually begin to realise how lucky you are...

Thats the way I,m going to look at it.Arrive in HK tomorrow to go to Bangkok, Tuesday. Thinking of flying to phnom phen and overland from there.Anyone know how easy (or hard) it is to get a bus from phnom phen to somewhere near Pattaya?

Try to look at life as an adventure and not as stress. Who knows, you might actually begin to realise how lucky you are...

Thats the way I,m going to look at it.Arrive in HK tomorrow to go to Bangkok, Tuesday. Thinking of flying to phnom phen and overland from there.Anyone know how easy (or hard) it is to get a bus from phnom phen to somewhere near Pattaya?

Id suggest shared taxi from pp to koh kong ,there will be mini buses there to take you to Trat and then on to pattaya,avoid going to poi pet from pp ,the road is awful,as are the customs/immigration there,.in phnom penh get a travel agent to arrange the shared taxi to koh kong, Edited by GayGordon

Thanks for the report. What a pain in the a*se for you though.

Hope all this is sorted by next Friday when we are due to depart, I am seriously beginning to doubt it though !

I hope its sorted by Thursday night as thats when we arrive in LOS. :o

Bluddy good post eyebee. :o

So refreshing to read about someone who, instead of whinging and whining about the situation, got of his ar5e and made alternative arrangements.

Lucky? Well you might have been but lady luck does not favour those that sit and wait fr it. My grandmother used to say people make their own luck and that has proved to be the case more often than not.

My question is: can I claim my extra costs of 4,000 baht from PAD? :D

Yes, by all means! Just make your way to Swampy Airport and....

Option #1: Stay four days, and collect your 1,000 Baht/day being paid to out-of-town hired protesters.

Option #2: Eat and drink 4,000 Baht worth of the the free food and water available, courtesy of PAD's wealthy supporters.

...meanwhile enjoy the rock concerts, rabid public speakers, and naps on the baggage carousels. What could be more fun? :o

Id suggest shared taxi from pp to koh kong

Any idea of the cost,wont be able to share as there is 3 of us already,or are we talking mini-bus?

Ive seen 10 in a taxi ! :o ,but yes there are also minibuses, although id say avoid as they will pick up anyone and anything til they are full to the brim and in cambodia that means well overloaded ,.budget between 20-50 dollars for the trip to koh kong