How to password protect a single file?

ChiangMaiThai

Depends on what type of file it is. If you have PKZIP you can always zip the file and add a password to the zip file.

If it's a word document (or other office doc) then you can go into options and set passwords to the doc. You can set a different read password from the write password.

So it all depends on the application, Windows itself doesn't have any security that does this job. (I'm taking a wild guess here and assuming that you're using windows..)

What are you trying to hide?

Hi ChiangMaiThai,

I depends on the level of skills the other users of your machine have.

Unexperienced users: simply rename the file in a .dll for example and copy it somewhere else. An unexperienced users wouldn't examine dll-files to find a document.

Next skill level: use the password-function of word!

Next higher level: use a compressor with password-function (for example winzip www.winzip.com or PKZIP)

Higher Levels: use a crypto-application.

But a general remark: If several users use the same machine it is better to use professional Operating System, not that Windows9x or WindowsMe - stuff. These Systems don't support permissions on filesystemlevel. Better to use Windows2000 / XP or Linux. You can set permissions (read, write and execute) on the level of filesystem. So no other user can read your data if you don't want him to.

Hope this helps a little!

Exchange1973

@Tiz:

It's not right, that Windows OSs not support a permissionsystem. The Win9x and WinMe stuff don't, that's right! But the systems based on NT (NT4.0,2000,XP) support a detailed permissionsystem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest IT Manager

do you want to lock the file totally to protect yourself or others?

Not much detail in what you posted but IMHO I would encrypt it totally, using PGP for windows. There is a freeware version which is quite good.

######

I just want to lock a file or document so that other people can't access it. Magic Folders seems to do the job excpet that when I go back to a document that is protected and edit it, any text I add is red with a vertical line in the left hand column. I suppose this is to show where a document has been altered, but its pretty annoying. Does anyone know how to turn this feature off?

hi,

I have an answer to your question, but not sure you will like it, but consider it's technicaly the best.

1) Install Linux on your computer, a recent distribution will be better.

2) let Lilo recognise your dual boot, Linux and Windaube.

3) Boot on Linux

4) go to internet, downloa a programm named VMWare (must be in VMWare .com). it's a  free demo, after30 days or you pay the bills or you mail me and ask me politely to give you a code :o

5) Install VMWare, and enjoy the fact to use your Windows under Linux (your poor Personnal Computer is now a mainframe)

6) As VmWare is a virtual PC, you just have to crete 2 or 3 or 4 virual PC. Your Window session will be accessible only by your Linux session, the other people will never use your Linux but another user, they will have then another Window absolutely different of your.

512 Ram and 1 ghz for the processor are enough for this program. And it'sgreat trust me.

Soundcrazy and complicate, but it's very simple in fact, in 3 hours you will have something absolutely secure and very professional. and in more it's free of charge.

If you need more infos contact me

Regards

sting

Roxannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne

You are all making it too complecated.

If the application that opens the file supports passwords, then use the application for passwords. I use passwords on my Excel spreadsheets as I don't want people to see my finances.

If the file has no password protection, just use winzip. Why? Well its the most common compression program, so if you send the file to someone, they should be able to open it, providing you give them the password. The compression also has error correction, so if it gets corrupted, then you will know about it; an added benefit. Plus it uses less disk space.

If you want to store details of password, etc. Use your email system as a database. I use The Bat! client. Make sure you have password protection on your email so that no one can get access to your private info. Also make sure you back up your email, can restore it, and in the worste senario, can restore it on a different PC.

KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid :o

hi'

the ONLY and very best way to save a file with password and/or

encryption, is to use PGP, there free versions for all windows,

and using Linux or Unix you can either use GPG or PGP gpl,

which remain the same, once the file is password-protected,

no one ca have access to it, which could not be the case with  

an office password protection (some method can undo this..)

and by the way PGP-sign you email so anyone can be sure of the source  :o