Sugar Daddy, Do Gooder Or Scrooge? Which Expat Group Do You Belong To?

thaiyaioo

I am new to Thailand and Thai Visa. During the short time I have spent here, and reading through previous posts on various topics, I have come to the conclusion that there are predominately 3 types of Expat in LOS:

1. The Sugar Daddy/Momma

Typically 60+ years old with a 29 year old boy, girl or inbetweenie in tow (inbetweeniefetishtoe?) Oblivious and doesn't care about how she/he/she-he-e-ite appears to the rest of the world

2. The Do-Gooder

NGO employee +/- Rich and Retired with nothing else to do but organise and attend charity dinners where 90% of the entrance ticket goes on stuffed aubergine and a glass of wine of dubious origin and the rest goes to the Deserving Cause. Especially active from now until the end of the festive season.

3. The Scrooge

Time stood still in 1959 for this baby boomer who thinks a loaf of bread should be delivered to your doorstep, wrapped in wax paper, for 1 shilling and 11 pence. Complains loudly about the increasing cost of living in Thailand but has no street cred. Thinks a fixed income of USD 100 per month should cover the cost of harem plus food and drinks.

Discuss

What does any one else think? Please feel free to defennd/disagree or add/sutracgt to the list of stereotypes listed here/there/everywhere...

I am new to Thailand and Thai Visa. During the short time I have spent here, and reading through previous posts on various topics, I have come to the conclusion that there are predominately 3 types of Expat in LOS:

1. The Sugar Daddy/Momma

Typically 60+ years old with a 29 year old boy, girl or inbetweenie in tow (inbetweeniefetishtoe?) Oblivious and doesn't care about how she/he/she-he-e-ite appears to the rest of the world

2. The Do-Gooder

NGO employee +/- Rich and Retired with nothing else to do but organise and attend charity dinners where 90% of the entrance ticket goes on stuffed aubergine and a glass of wine of dubious origin and the rest goes to the Deserving Cause. Especially active from now until the end of the festive season.

3. The Scrooge

Time stood still in 1959 for this baby boomer who thinks a loaf of bread should be delivered to your doorstep, wrapped in wax paper, for 1 shilling and 11 pence. Complains loudly about the increasing cost of living in Thailand but has no street cred. Thinks a fixed income of USD 100 per month should cover the cost of harem plus food and drinks.

Discuss

What does any one else think? Please feel free to defennd/disagree or add/sutracgt to the list of stereotypes listed here/there/everywhere...

You're a black and white kind of guy.

Do-gooders are few and far between. Sugar daddies exist all over the world. The Scrooge is a daft stereotype to be honest.

You've got the free-radicals, the neo-hippies, the global tribe types, the freaks, the low-lifes, the thai-wannabes, the perpetual tourists, the semi-retired dude many more archetypes here in LOS.

1. The Sugar Daddy/Momma

2. The Do-Gooder

3. The Scrooge

Discuss

Do-gooders are few and far between. Sugar daddies exist all over the world. The Scrooge is a daft stereotype to be honest.

You've got the free-radicals, the neo-hippies, the global tribe types, the freaks, the low-lifes, the thai-wannabes, the perpetual tourists, the semi-retired dude many more archetypes here in LOS.

I feel neglected.... You forgot me, just the 'TV dude'....

post-46350-1228060335_thumb.jpg

Creative spelling, but boring content.

From your tag-line I think you should have more empathy with dyselxics...

Creative isn't empathic enough?

I, apparntly am dlxlesical, but shouldn't that be empathetical? Then you would make the point...

1. The Sugar Daddy/Momma

2. The Do-Gooder

3. The Scrooge

Discuss

How can three options be considered "black" and "white"? Isn't there a "grey" somewhere in here? I agree, however, with your additions to my simplistic stereotypes but don't quite understand your response "The Scrooge is a daft stereotype to be honest" I was referring to the types Thais call "keen-neow" - i.e. offer/pay less than the going rate for a proffered service.

1. The Sugar Daddy/Momma

2. The Do-Gooder

3. The Scrooge

Discuss

How can three options be considered "black" and "white"? Isn't there a "grey" somewhere in here? I agree, however, with your additions to my simplistic stereotypes but don't quite understand your response "The Scrooge is a daft stereotype to be honest" I was referring to the types Thais call "keen-neow" - i.e. offer/pay less than the going rate for a proffered service.

I, apparntly am dlxlesical, but shouldn't that be empathetical? Then you would make the point...

empathic Usage Examples WriteColloDisclaimer();Modifies a noun

• listening: I could have used the skill of empathic listening to understand her position better.
  • understanding: A further word is in order about the meaning of empathic understanding.
  • response: The neural basis for empathic response underlies imitation in both directions.
  • relationship: It also sought to heighten awareness of drug-related problems and to forge an empathic relationship with the parent.
  • ability: A great example of inherent empathic ability is, for example, the ability to " feel between the lines " on the Internet.
  • approach: The nurses saw an empathic approach through the Models use of narrative.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/empathic

Moral and Ethical Compass of Non Native Residents

I might get upset since you forgot to mention all kind of minorities. Boxes for all...

What, if any, has ethics or moral to do with non native residents? Isn't it all the same where you drag your butt around? You drag your thoughts and everything else along with it.

All of your examples were extremely negative by nature like no good qualities could be found. F.e. if you point that there is someone Thai suggest being scrooge or 'kin jau', that in my mind does not suggest that the person in question is one. Thais, in my experience, normally don't have any money so when they get their hands around it, they spend it. It's fun spending, do you agree? I, for one, like to think of tomorrow and the fact that I need to plan my finances to match my bills. Thais don't necessarily need to since they can find their cup of rice from the table of extended family, I can't. They are used to living without any means, I am not. So, from Thai perspective I might seem like a 'kin jau' person without being one. I would like to know what perspective you are referring to and are you considering the sides to be equal? If not, why?

That you have lived here 'long time' does not really mean that you understand how things work out here. I would be VERY careful to place people in boxes. They might get uncomfortable there.

1. The Sugar Daddy/Momma

2. The Do-Gooder

3. The Scrooge

Discuss

So which catagory do you fit into thaiyaioo?