How Long Could The Airport Closure Last?

dave111223

How long could the airport closure last?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It would have to be at least a couple more weeks before it is operational.

I also wonder if airlines other than Thai will be so quick to get their Bangkok flights going again, they might have reduced schedules as I wouldn't think demand would be high, especially initially.

Could be a good gauge on the effects this will have to the Thai economy.

Today, the high court of Thailand will announce it's verdit against the ruling PPP and the "Vote Buying" story. As they did already several times since PPP has got the "elected" power, e.g. porky face samak. They will be announced "guilty" and then they have to resign. The speach from the king is the next step. PAD will feel as the winner and leave the occupied places!

Now we wil go in the next phase (the ugly one). Taksin will tell his followers to organise an uprise against dictatorship. Since they have the army, the police and the whole old establishment against them, they(some) will go and terrorise the country from the underground. That could be very ugly and hurting the country much more then all what happen since the area Thaksin begann.

Now we wil go in the next phase (the ugly one). Taksin will tell his followers to organise an uprise against dictatorship. Since they have the army, the police and the whole old establishment against them, they(some) will go and terrorise the country from the underground. That could be very ugly and hurting the country much more then all what happen since the area Thaksin begann.

Sincerely hope you are wrong but I wouldn't bet against it. The DAAD supporters have been enjoying a bit of an open season on the PAD using that very gentlemanly weapon the RPG (or similar) without any police intervention. It seems that although the police are hamstrung by certain influences their sympathies and attentions lie elsewhere.

I think the occupations will end Wednesday or Thursday as a "birthday gesture".

Cut the power, stop water supply

No one cares, otherwise, they would have done last week. :o

If they only had this:...

soundcannon.jpg

The Long Range Acoustical Device (LRAD), is a device that directs sound for up to 1,500 feet in a spotlight-like beam. It has been used by the U.S. military against protestors in Iraq and for communicating at sea. It is now being used on crowds of protestors, as witnessed recently in New York.

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/66545

Edited by NarcissusRIP

I think they will wait destroying completetly the economy of the country... This is really sad for them. Now that Thailand was becoming a more welcoming place for families to take their vacations (example: Phuket), I think those events are a big step backward... Sad to see that like in the past this country will welcome - in majority - alcoholics and perverts while it was on a good way to become a family holiday destination.

I think if you piss off the protesters too much they may cause so much damage to the airport that it would take even longer to get everything up and running again.

I think if you piss off the protesters too much they may cause so much damage to the airport that it would take even longer to get everything up and running again.

I agree, you are dealing with a "you turned off the water, that's fine i'll just sh*t on the floor" kind of mentality. Probably better to keep the utilities turned on, atleast then when it reopens biochemical suits may not be required.

Then it's no longer "occupying".

If they really start to "destroy" the airport, the structure itself, then we'll get other methods to clear the airport(s).

Edited by NarcissusRIP

I agree, you are dealing with a "you turned off the water, that's fine i'll just sh*t on the floor" kind of mentality. Probably better to keep the utilities turned on, atleast then when it reopens biochemical suits may not be required.

You can clean up SH*T , but you can't clean structural damage.

When the PAD supporters want to go on holiday I plan to gather as many farangs and blockade all airports in Bangkok.I wonder how long I would last? 2 weeks or 2 minutes? Whilst I previously had some time for the PAD view to do this was STUPID ,it is not achieving there objectives ,people are losing focus on what the are about,all people now see is the economy suffering,job loses ,international reputation as a peaceful country.If this gets violent and is plastered all over CNN and BBC it will cripple the country and then you could have Micky mouse running the country and it would not make one bit of change.

Just another farang trying to get home for Xmas

Kev

the airports will clear the moment the king gives his speech to the nation.....

I agree but He seems to be hesitant, anyway its too late to save the winter season and lots of Thai will suffer even in far away Issan who may be the target in the end.

I expect the PAD to announce later today victory and leave the airport. Will take a week or so to get it re-certified, then flights will resume as usual. This winter season is probably pretty well ruined, but tourism will bounce back, just like it did after the tsunami. Otherwise, I don’t see the major industries hurt from this, but the global slowdown is going to impact them a lot.

PAD will not leave the airport until they get this 70/30 objective written in stone, thus not in the near future, unless someone smokes them out :o

My best guess would be not earlier than Jan 15, 2009, although I must doubt it to be that soon.

Edited by tartempion

One of the things to consider is the safety of the PAD people....

In case nobody noticed, there are a whole lot of people wearing red shirts that want to take their loss out on somebody.

And furthermore, anybody that has watched much ASTV and the protest sites, can see the majority of the PAD are not fighters.

I was watching ASTV as the verdict was being read, tears streaming down the faces of a lot of the protesters.

So when will they vacate the airport....in the next few days....Friday is the Kings birthday, so before that I believe.

However DADD is calling for all members to come to Bangkok and burn it down....(So you did not like the peaceful protest at the airport, lets see how the other side protest??? :o )

Edited by old wanderer

And furthermore, anybody that has watched much ASTV and the protest sites, can see the majority of the PAD are not fighters.

I was watching ASTV as the verdict was being read, tears streaming down the faces of a lot of the protesters.

Well at least we can be certain that ASTV is impartial in their reporting and would never set up any footage to manipulate the perception of the protesters. . .

I expect the PAD to announce later today victory and leave the airport. Will take a week or so to get it re-certified, then flights will resume as usual. This winter season is probably pretty well ruined, but tourism will bounce back, just like it did after the tsunami. Otherwise, I don’t see the major industries hurt from this, but the global slowdown is going to impact them a lot.

Unfortunately I disagree. The tsunami was a natural disaster which should not have scared anyone away. People returned because there was nothing to fear. Thailand's reputation was tarnished even then because some thieving buggers could not resist the opportunity to steal from the money raised via charitable efforts. Not so many would help in a second natural disaster happened.

This is far more serious. The government could and should have stopped PAD occupying the airport. Failing that they should have retaken the airport at the first opportunity, using force if need be.

This is messing with people's lives. It is costing them money and destroying their views of Thailand. Please tell me that if I was one of those stuck at the airport just why I would ever consider this tin pot country for a vacation again ? I would not. I could not. Add to that the millions who are more wary than the more adventurous of us and they will cancel. They will go elsewhere and when they have a good time in Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam or elsewhere, then that is going to be their new Thailand and unfortunately, I cannot blame them at all.

The ramifications of this fiasco will be felt for years to come and only a sustained period of political stability will go any way to restoring faith in the country. Add in the current economic problems, the disastrous fx rates and it is not a pretty picture out there.