Thailand Vs. France

BangkokBP

There are many words used to describe the PAD actions at Subvanabumi airport flying around now, occupation, terrorism etc.

My question is, this occurs to me to be something similar to what is happening quite frequently in other countries too, but as an example I chose France as I have frequently heard of similar actions there; blockades on roads, highways, borders, ports.

The reasons are sometimes - in relation to PAD's - much more trivial, such as oil prices, the price of strawberries, salaries etc.

So how does the current blockade/occupation/terrorism compare to that?

Someone with some real insight into such matters, please educate me.

/bbp

References: Google "France Blockade" or "French farmers block" for example

Edited by BangkokBP

There are many words used to describe the PAD actions at Subvanabumi airport flying around now, occupation, terrorism etc.

My question is, this occurs to me to be something similar to what is happening quite frequently in other countries too, but as an example I chose France as I have frequently heard of similar actions there; blockades on roads, highways, borders, ports.

The reasons are sometimes - in relation to PAD's - much more trivial, such as oil prices, the price of strawberries, salaries etc.

/bbp

Easy, nobody wants to go to France :o

/bbp

France attracted 81.9 million foreign tourists in 2007 (surpassing its population), a 3.8% increase compared to 2006, making it the most popular tourist destination in the world. This 81.9 million figure excludes people staying less than 24 hours in France.

Not bad for a country where nobody wants to go to.

/bbp

The different to your examples in France, where there are minor unhappy groups for e.g. farmers, that here the whole country stands on a junction (carrefour). History is made right now. It will have a very big impact to the country anyway and anyhow the outcome is. The old establishment is fighting against new upcoming power! Look at Myanmar (la byrmanie) and that’s the goal they have (military power with monarchy).

In France e.g. they just want better (higher) prices for some products. Here again, they stand at the junction. Soon we will know much more and which way the will go. I'm scaring the old fashioned establishment will succeed (I do not support Thaskis view of politics)! People will think that’s the better way, because it is the "yellow" way. They will understand later, too late!

but french still haven't occupied charles de gaulle and orly airport at this same time, as well as both the major seats of the government, they are not armed with guns and machetes.

there are industrial actions, balloted amoungs the union membership, usually legal - they do demand pay rise etc but don't demand dissolution of the parliament and stepping down of the pm.

I don't have any symphaty to PAD, as violent conservative tugs, but I do support workers protests in france defending their rights as a part of the class stragle against the rulling capitalist class

/bbp

France attracted 81.9 million foreign tourists in 2007 (surpassing its population), a 3.8% increase compared to 2006, making it the most popular tourist destination in the world. This 81.9 million figure excludes people staying less than 24 hours in France.

well aren't you just a bundle of statistics.

Cybil, remind me to not go to Britanny this year as apparently France has too many tourists.

/bbp

Easy, nobody wants to go to France :D

France attracted 81.9 million foreign tourists in 2007 (surpassing its population),

come on, you cannot count the 58 million Immigrants crossing france to enter the UK as foreign tourists :o

hence the point above :D

Nobody ?

So how can be France the "World's Top Tourism Destination" ? :o

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0198352.html

http://www.unwto.org/facts/eng/pdf/indicators/ITA_top25.pdf

:D

PS: Ooops. Too long to make search on the web. Not see post of "adjan jb" before posting.

Edited by Pattaya46

/bbp

France attracted 81.9 million foreign tourists in 2007 (surpassing its population),

come on, you cannot count the 58 million Immigrants crossing france to enter the UK as foreign tourists :o

That's why this 81.9 million figure excludes people staying less than 24 hours in France. :D

In 1941, France enjoyed its best tourism year ever with millions of Germans stopping in for extended vacations.

In 1944, the trend caught on as the Brits, Americans, Canadians wanted to find out why it was the place to visit.

In away, this influx of visitors contributed to it's well-deserved reputations as being fashionable, even though history books tell us that Italy is not far behind.

As for Thailands airports, recent events to make them a trendy hang out have met with mixed results.

/bbp

The different to your examples in France, where there are minor unhappy groups for e.g. farmers, that here the whole country stands on a junction (carrefour). History is made right now. It will have a very big impact to the country anyway and anyhow the outcome is. The old establishment is fighting against new upcoming power! Look at Myanmar (la byrmanie) and that's the goal they have (military power with monarchy).

In France e.g. they just want better (higher) prices for some products. Here again, they stand at the junction. Soon we will know much more and which way the will go. I'm scaring the old fashioned establishment will succeed (I do not support Thaskis view of politics)! People will think that's the better way, because it is the "yellow" way. They will understand later, too late!

Your explanation makes sense to some extent, however, and i probably didn't make that clear enough in my OP, I wonder why these actions are condemned as terrorism and unlawful by so many while others sees it as a mechanism or tool for democratic process.

Parking a tractor on a highway in France is surely as unlawful, as blocking the roads and sitting down outside the airport in Bangkok?

Perhaps the reason i am wondering about this is more why it is seen by people and media in such a negative way when happening here, as opposed to in other democratic countries.

/bbp

Since no one with prior experience has responded to your question...

I lived in France for two years. Interruptions messed with daily living and I always had a feeling it'd be a constant happening. A constant irritation. Not a few days every so many years, like here.

Thailand has been unsettled on and off since I've lived here (three years), but it hasn't inconvenienced me that much. Not like in France.

In Thailand I don't have the same negative feelings towards those striking. I guess because in France, they were always trying to force their already cash-strapped government to cough up. Here, they are attempting to shake their country into some sort of democracy. And while I might not agree with the methods the Thais are using, I'm not exactly fussed either.

I might miss my plane to the UK this December. 'Shrug'. No matter. There will be other trips.

(here's hoping someone with more info will join in... someone who remembers the exact details of the strikes, etc)

I lived in France for two years. Interruptions messed with daily living and I always had a feeling it'd be a constant happening. A constant irritation. Not a few days every so many years, like here.

Thailand has been unsettled on and off since I've lived here (three years), but it hasn't inconvenienced me that much. Not like in France.

In Thailand I don't have the same negative feelings towards those striking. I guess because in France, they were always trying to force their already cash-strapped government to cough up. Here, they are attempting to shake their country into some sort of democracy. And while I might not agree with the methods the Thais are using, I'm not exactly fussed either.

I might miss my plane to the UK this December. 'Shrug'. No matter. There will be other trips.

(here's hoping someone with more info will join in... someone who remembers the exact details of the strikes, etc)

The problem is there are major strikes in France almost on a weekly basis, that last only a few days. I don't recall the farmers taking control of the airport and control towers, only blocking access to the terminal.

The French having learnt from their abject failure to prevent the panzers rolling down the Chumps d'Useless are now in a period of Special High Intensity Training. After starting with blocking a few farm tracks they are progressing to the motorways so that in a few years time they'll be able to stop any armoured column using nothing more than a bicycle and a string of garlic.

The Thais, on the other hand, have opened the textbook at the last page and cribbed the answer to the final question. So now they are sitting with the answer but nobody knows what the question was.

In 1941, France enjoyed its best tourism year ever with millions of Germans stopping in for extended vacations.

In 1944, the trend caught on as the Brits, Americans, Canadians wanted to find out why it was the place to visit.

In away, this influx of visitors contributed to it's well-deserved reputations as being fashionable, even though history books tell us that Italy is not far behind.

As for Thailands airports, recent events to make them a trendy hang out have met with mixed results.

Naughty man. :o

Eventually, they all overstayed their tourist visa in our graveyards.

/bbp

OK smart-arse - name them ? icon6.gificon6.gif

OP The OTHER democratic Countries. This would have been delt with in 2 or 3 Hrs Max

You dont ask them to go you TELL them

If not then you go in and force them out

No need for GUNS to be used unless you come under fire

Just Riot Shields and Battons

TRAINED firearms Officers standing By

But that's it Job done.

The OTHER democratic Countries. This would have been delt with in 2 or 3 Hrs Max

You dont ask them to go you TELL them

If not then you go in and force them out

No need for GUNS to be used unless you come under fire

Just Riot Shields and Battons

TRAINED firearms Officers standing By

But that's it Job done.

/bbp

[/quote

I have lived in Paris as long as here and don't recall any fatalities. There is also less camping out and holiday atmosphere. No airport closures either?

1/ As a formal French member a Riot Unit I can tell you, it is only a question of training. Riot unit is a full time job.

2/ Taking , like the PAD did an airport is not for sure a terrorist action ! Only a missunderstanding of the word DEMOCRATY

3/ Please, do not joke about the WW2 in France !!!!

Or I will joke about some muslim tourits in New York coming by plane :o

JP

1/ As a formal French member a Riot Unit I can tell you, it is only a question of training. Riot unit is a full time job.

2/ Taking , like the PAD did an airport is not for sure a terrorist action ! Only a missunderstanding of the word DEMOCRATY

3/ Please, do not joke about the WW2 in France !!!!

Or I will joke about some muslim tourits in New York coming by plane :o

JP

Ok WW 1 it is, sorry

The different to your examples in France, where there are minor unhappy groups for e.g. farmers, that here the whole country stands on a junction (carrefour). History is made right now. It will have a very big impact to the country anyway and anyhow the outcome is. The old establishment is fighting against new upcoming power! Look at Myanmar (la byrmanie) and that’s the goal they have (military power with monarchy).

In France e.g. they just want better (higher) prices for some products. Here again, they stand at the junction. Soon we will know much more and which way the will go. I'm scaring the old fashioned establishment will succeed (I do not support Thaskis view of politics)! People will think that’s the better way, because it is the "yellow" way. They will understand later, too late!

Your understanding of the issues is so far off it amazes me. What the PAD is fighting to stop is what the generals are able to in Myanmar, which is have an election and be sure the results are in your favor and at the same time enriching yourself at the exspense of the good of the country. Why do you think Thaksin and his cronies are so cozy with the generals?

TH

The problem is there are major strikes in France almost on a weekly basis, that last only a few days. I don't recall the farmers taking control of the airport and control towers, only blocking access to the terminal.

They tend to take over or close Seaports instead

There seems to be a weird recent American disdain for things French. Is this just down to them not siding with Bush over Iraq? The English (but not the Scots) used to slag them off but seem to have grown out of it in recent decades, but at least there was some historic and geographical relevance..