Half-life 2

penzman

I bought an authentic Thai version of Half-Life 2 today at TukCom in Sri Racha. The young man at the store assured me that you could change it to the english version in the game options and it did work. My wife had to help with the installation up until the language option came up in the menu.

Do not bother with the pirated copies of the game as you have to register with steam in order to play online, I had tried previously...

It's a steal at 599 baht...

Anyone interested in a few deathmatches or teamplay?

Cheers,

Penzman :o

<deleted>. I asked in the shop - also in Si Racha - the one shop on the software floor that doesn't sell pirated software - and they insisted the Thai version @ 599 did not have English, that I had to buy the English version @ 999 for that.

I was very surprised but since this was first time I actually saw both a Thai and English version of a game side by side here I though it was kosher.

But I was had by the Thais.

Again.

Edit:

Regardless of that, it is a great game, much better than Doom 3. I'm about 2/3 through HL2, and have played a couple of Counter Strike Source on a BKK server ... at ping times around 250ms from Pattaya. In Europe I'd regularly play on US servers at half that rate. Tell you something about the crappy infrastructure here.

I'd be interested in trying a local Pattaya game though. Would be interesting to see how bad the connection is locally.

Edited by madsere

<deleted>. I asked in the shop - also in Si Racha - the one shop on the software floor that doesn't sell pirated software - and they insisted the Thai version @ 599 did not have English, that I had to buy the English version @ 999 for that.

I was very surprised but since this was first time I actually saw both a Thai and English version of a game side by side here I though it was kosher.

But I was had by the Thais.

Again.

Edit:

Regardless of that, it is a great game, much better than Doom 3. I'm about 2/3 through HL2, and have played a couple of Counter Strike Source on a BKK server ... at ping times around 250ms from Pattaya.  In Europe I'd regularly play on US servers at half that rate.  Tell you something about the crappy infrastructure here.

I'd be interested in trying a local Pattaya game though. Would be interesting to see how bad the connection is locally.

All thai games i've bought are in english. at most, with a very popular game, there may be an initial installation menu, which is in thai, but after that it is the same as the english version.

I also asked the guy at the shop about the Thai/English issue. He said that there would be Thai throughout the game as subtitles. He even called some other guy to confirm. Frankly I was dubious.

Anyways, the only Thai that is present is during the install and in steam. You can change Steam's default language, and see no more Thai at all. The dinky little reference card (the only thing resembling a manual in the box) is in Thai, but that's not a problem.

I played a bit this evening. English language is fine. Playing counter-Strike online I saw subtitles and menus were english as well.

One game I played with a ping of 990, Chonburi to BKK, the server list showed a ping of 195 but once i was on the server, 990.... :D .

Did a google and found more Thai servers, I ll give em a try but I m on dialup 56k, I doubt there will be much improvement.

I had a ping of 5 when I ran my own server, maybe I ll just settle to plaing against bots :o .

Guess it s time to give a hi speed connection a try.

We can always have a LAN party sometime if some are interested.

It makes a BIG difference when you get ADSL.

I never bothered with online games whilst I had a 56k.

Having my ADSL has been a godsend - I often play on the Zyxcell BKK CS server with pings of around 20-30 and 32 players. Awesome fun!

TIT.

I have TOT and ADSL is available in my area .. but "No ports" whatever that means. I'm calling them weekly but noting is happening.

TTT had available ADSL - but no lines.

Arrgh, ###### government telcos! They should be outlawed under the human rights conventions.

Mr Bartender,

MOH:Pacific is available as DVD copy in Fortune & Pantip

However the game itself is pants! It looks nice but there are too many on-rails sections

May I suggest you get the Riddick game instead - I loved the Xbox version and got the PC one this week. Graphics AND gemeplay to die for

Edited by Ian_B

MOH Pacific: Seen it many times in BKK.

Half Life 2 SINGLE PLAYER: PC crashes in 1st episode where the guy at the top of appartment building says "Psst, hey you, over here"

Mind you I m running it on a 1.2ghz and 512 sdram and Geforce Mx 400... time to upgrade....aaaagain...

I'm playing it on a P4C 2.4 (o'ced to 3.2), 1GB DDR, Asus 865PE MB, Radeon 9600Pro. I can crank up all the options to max and have smooth gameplay at 1152x864 (my desktop resolution), the only thing turned off is AA. Memory commit charge when not playing the game is about 400MB, when playing the game it's about 900MB.

Anyway I bought the thai version now and YES it can be changed into english in the steam menu :-) So for the sake of about 8 clicks of the mouse why pay the extra money???

Thai version 599

English version 999

WHO WANTS A GAME???????????????????????????????????

Either PM me or post and ill PM you :o DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I have a cracked version of half life2

How do i play it with out having to register the game?

I think the cracked CD should have a folder or readme file that tells you how to play without registration. You know, the actual version isn't that much more expensive.

Vivendi/Sierra has been suffering major losses as of late. They're selling out parts of their company now... They make great games, support them. :o