Tourist Arrivals On Samui Down 50%

LaoPo

First of all it was their 21th anniversery, and second of all it is always packed. You offer free food and free drinks and you get all the expats to go there and celebrate what they dont even know they are celebrating.

If you had gone you would have known that the free stuff was for the VIPs and at least half of those in the new section where it was all being offered were Thais, not expats.

Well, Thais or expats. It dosent really mean any difference when it comes to the touristnumbers now doeas it? "V.I.P";s. Was it the same qualification as 2 years ago=arrive early, or did you need to do something else for the freestuff this year? You would be the right man to answer this since you are everywhere freestuff is served, hahaha!

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Thais or expats. It dosent really mean any difference when it comes to the touristnumbers now doeas it? "V.I.P";s. Was it the same qualification as 2 years ago=arrive early, or did you need to do something else for the freestuff this year? You would be the right man to answer this since you are everywhere freestuff is served, hahaha!

I was in the VIP area (arrrived late around 21:00) and each time I asked for one drink, they gave me two. I had 4 and left to other places to pay and spread the wealth (gotta do my part for the world economy). If you had gone - no matter how early - those security guys in camos would have had someone to toss in the lake and the bacteria and mystery fish would have left nothing but that Red Bull tank top with cigarette burn holes in it. You need to learn the language and become a citizen then perhaps you'll be allowed to properly take part in the local celebrations instead of being left to fend for yourself. In the meantime, buy that 4-pack of Cheers Beer and enjoy the fireworks from behind a bush. Sorry, no laughing smiley faces to insert here. The whole thing is just too sad for my buddy matthias. But, hey, I'll put the videos and pics on a flash drive for you along with that film, "American Carol" Then you can pull you TV outside and sit under that bush you have out front to "relive the moment". OK, maybe just one smiley - - :o

Edited by koheesti

I was in the VIP area (arrrived late around 21:00) and each time I asked for one drink, they gave me two. I had 4 and left to other places to pay and spread the wealth (gotta do my part for the world economy). If you had gone - no matter how early - those security guys in camos would have had someone to toss in the lake and the bacteria and mystery fish would have left nothing but that Red Bull tank top with cigarette burn holes in it. You need to learn the language and become a citizen then perhaps you'll be allowed to properly take part in the local celebrations instead of being left to fend for yourself. In the meantime, buy that 4-pack of Cheers Beer and enjoy the fireworks from behind a bush. Sorry, no laughing smiley faces to insert here. The whole thing is just too sad for my buddy matthias. But, hey, I'll put the videos and pics on a flash drive for you along with that film, "American Carol" Then you can pull you TV outside and sit under that bush you have out front to "relive the moment". OK, maybe just one smiley - - :D

let me add one as well .. :D infect i will add another one :D " dinner with the chef of the biggest hotel in Fishermans village..not bophud not mainam not Chaweng... the "fishermans village largest hotel.".. and with the Chef. and this is how he bases facts about Samui tourists and tourism industry .. hahahahah had dinner with the chef. :o

highdiver:

hahahahah had dinner with the chef. :o

The chef from South Park? Cool....

Samuibeachcomber:

this thread amazes me....................samui is busy?no it is n't,yes it is,no it is n't,yes it is...............

I was thinking something of the same thing. Unless you have some kind of mathematical disorder (characterized by the following:

* difficulty reading and writing numbers

* difficulty aligning numbers in order to do calculations

* inability to perform calculations

* inability to comprehend word problems)

I can't see how anyone could argue that Samui is "dead." It is clearly visible that the situation is, generally speaking, not one of "Where did all the tourists go?"

If this is "dead," what was it like last May, for example? Negative dead?

I was in the VIP area (arrrived late around 21:00) and each time I asked for one drink, they gave me two. I had 4 and left to other places to pay and spread the wealth (gotta do my part for the world economy). If you had gone - no matter how early - those security guys in camos would have had someone to toss in the lake and the bacteria and mystery fish would have left nothing but that Red Bull tank top with cigarette burn holes in it. You need to learn the language and become a citizen then perhaps you'll be allowed to properly take part in the local celebrations instead of being left to fend for yourself. In the meantime, buy that 4-pack of Cheers Beer and enjoy the fireworks from behind a bush. Sorry, no laughing smiley faces to insert here. The whole thing is just too sad for my buddy matthias. But, hey, I'll put the videos and pics on a flash drive for you along with that film, "American Carol" Then you can pull you TV outside and sit under that bush you have out front to "relive the moment". OK, maybe just one smiley - - :D

let me add one as well .. :D infect i will add another one :D " dinner with the chef of the biggest hotel in Fishermans village..not bophud not mainam not Chaweng... the "fishermans village largest hotel.".. and with the Chef. and this is how he bases facts about Samui tourists and tourism industry .. hahahahah had dinner with the chef. :o

Koheestis post i will only comment quickly, a guy that seem to think he was on a high class VIP party when he went to reaggae pubs yearly freebie is a bit to much to even comment on, but the "cheers behind a bush" is a statement you are allowed to do the day you start paying for your own drinks. Most lightly you drank yourself drunk and ate yourself full, and spend less than 200 baht. I know you, dont try to brag. (And F.Y.I i been going to reaggae pubs anniversary before you knew where Thailand was, AND spending money, and i dont only go there once a year when its all free like you do).

Highdiver. F.Y.I fishermansvillage nowadays is a big tourist village. Chaweng and mae nam, has a much higher percentage of expats. And no, i didnt base that post or my statement only on the conversation with the chef (laugh all you want but the chef in the hotel know if the hotel is busy better than anyone, since he make breakfast and buy all things for the restaurant), but i also base it on figures (and 2 flights per day cancelled) by Bangkok airways, the fact that lomprayha been less than half booked, and to add to that i can today add that i jst came back to the island with a car on seatran ferry, and never ever before was i able to just go on the next boat 20 minuites after my arrival in donsak without a booking. And this is februari. And this thread is getting pointless. After 18 pages there is still people claiming this is the busiest highseason ever (or at least one, with very limited knowledge of the subject) and there is still the side i am on saying its more dead than ever this time a year. I dont think we can get any further in this discussion. Highdiver, choose to beleive whatever truth or "facts" you can come up with in your wildest dreams. Its still a very bad season for samui.

I think Mattias is getting ready for the fishing comp :o , he is practising the extension of a long line ,called TROLLING.

Wow, very good post. Infact i think it is one of the better you ever made when it comes to:

1: Humor

2: Timing

3: Value for the reader.

4: Intelligent contribution to the subject of the thread.

You are getting good roo, few more years of practising and you might be able to come up with a post that will be worth reading. Keep working!

I think Mattias is getting ready for the fishing comp :o , he is practising the extension of a long line ,called TROLLING.

Wow, very good post. Infact i think it is one of the better you ever made when it comes to:

You are getting good roo, few more years of practising and you might be able to come up with a post that will be worth reading. Keep working!

Thank you Mattias,much appreciated.Your in depth analysis is astounding to say the least.One day comprehension might be one of your fortes. Just keep trolling , that's what you seem to do best.Have a great day ( file that under HUMOR ).

Dear Matthias, you'll find that most members appreciate Rooo's posts very much, he's famous for his wit and knowledge. Yours on the other hand are getting more and more embarassing.

Edited by longtom

Koheestis post i will only comment quickly, a guy that seem to think he was on a high class VIP party when he went to reaggae pubs yearly freebie is a bit to much to even comment on, but the "cheers behind a bush" is a statement you are allowed to do the day you start paying for your own drinks. Most lightly you drank yourself drunk and ate yourself full, and spend less than 200 baht. I know you, dont try to brag. (And F.Y.I i been going to reaggae pubs anniversary before you knew where Thailand was, AND spending money, and i dont only go there once a year when its all free like you do).

While honoring sbk's request, I just want to politely point out that I first came to Thailand in 1997 - a full 5 years before some on this thread who will remain nameless. :o

While honoring sbk's request, I just want to politely point out that I first came to Thailand in 1997 - a full 5 years before some on this thread who will remain nameless. :o

deleted

Edited by Birdman

While honoring sbk's request, I just want to politely point out that I first came to Thailand in 1997 - a full 5 years before some on this thread who will remain nameless. :D

Yep. Good thing to honor sbk:s fair request. I came to Thailand 1992 first time myself (has that got anything to do with the topic of this thread?). Whoever you talk about, (im sure its very interessting for you personally that you came here a good 5 years before somebody only you know, is it a poster on thaivisa?) its good you dont name names. :o . (Hard time to understand your post? Am i the only one?) :D:D .

Dear Matthias, you'll find that most members appreciate Rooo's posts very much, he's famous for his wit and knowledge. Yours on the other hand are getting more and more embarassing.

I think Mattias is getting ready for the fishing comp :D , he is practising the extension of a long line ,called TROLLING.

This is "wit and knowledge" to you?

Well, sorry, i can fully understand how you would consider my posts embarassing!

But i suppose pig might fly !

1. the ''economics'' you're describing from #1 to #5 is called deflation and is a dangerous game...***

2. the die-hard tourists -still- coming to Thailand, whether from Asia (declining dramatically), OZ/NZ, Americas (declining) or Europe (starting to decline) WILL come anyway; most of them pre-book and pre-pay their holidays in their various home countries.

rl]

LaoPo

You are kinda right ,but OZ/NZ tourists are not coming dude. for oz dollar 22 bt and kiwi 17 bt from 28bt a year ago ,they can stick thailand up there crack ,were all goin back to BALI. until they blow it up again!

I have been going to samui with a group of friends every year in feb/march since 2003. We have noticed the tourist numbers declining and the prices rising over the past 2 or 3 years.

We are not going this year but I suppose there will be more first timers and others that would otherwise be doing a more expensive destination.

I hope the numbers don't decrease too much it was pretty dead on soi mango last year.

I´m too lazy to scan over the 18 pages of this thread, but i clearly remember that someone said 5000 new hotelrooms are being built on the island. I think it was highdiver. Since i didnt check up exact qoutes, just correct me if i am wrong.

While we not agree on alot, i think highdiver was actually saying that the fact that so many new rooms are being built will create problems for hotelbuisness on this island. (Once again, correct me if i am wrong). In this point i (very rare) find myself in agreement with the good old mister bs highdiver. (Amazing isnt it? :o ).

But, i have a question for highdiver, or anybody else that care to comment:

Who will suffer? The newly built hotels, or the old and established? I would think within years, or maybe even only a year from now, hotels/resorts will have to close down. But will it be the new ones or the old ones? While i, if i were a tourist, would prefer to live in a brand new resort/hotel over a old and worn one, at the same time of course the established buisness already have a returning customerbase that come every year, right? Between 2001 and 2005 i always stayed at op bungalow. In the beginning i paid 450 baht for a beachfront bungalow. In 2006 i asked them and the price was 1700 baht in januari, wich is why i stopped staying there. At that year (my last as a tourist) i moved to ban suan sook. Newer and cheaper. So, what is your take on this? I´m assuming we agree most of us that some hotels will suffer. But who will it be? New ones or old ones? Word is yours........

If i were the new resorts i'd be selling package tours through travel tour operators who would then lease the appropriate size plane(i suppose you'd have to a deal with BKK airlines to use their samui airport)and bring them in that way.the asian market would be the way to go as they seem to prefer everything to be organisedpackage to include organised tours,and of course all meals to keep the money in the hotel.

As said before its the only way to bring extra tourists here cos BKKairways only have so many flights a day with limited size aircraft for the size of the airport.

Fialing that build a new airport which should have been done years ago.

If i were the new resorts i'd be selling package tours through travel tour operators who would then lease the appropriate size plane(i suppose you'd have to a deal with BKK airlines to use their samui airport)and bring them in that way.the asian market would be the way to go as they seem to prefer everything to be organisedpackage to include organised tours,and of course all meals to keep the money in the hotel.

As said before its the only way to bring extra tourists here cos BKKairways only have so many flights a day with limited size aircraft for the size of the airport.

no that that is not correct, BKK Air COULD easily be running 20+ flights a day...take a look, they ran 15 today (have a look at their website)...why? because 25%+ LESS people are coming here now (and its been that way for months)...and will get "worse" :o

Change the thread title to "Tourist Arrivals On Samui Down Only 25%"

In other news , maniac plain spotter arrested at samui airport for shouting "Bugger off, It' my island" at inbound tourists :o

"ONLY 25%" :D

what's a "plain spotter" :D

"inbound tourists"?...where? :D

Change the thread title to "Tourist Arrivals On Samui Down Only 25%"

In other news , maniac plain spotter arrested at samui airport for shouting "Bugger off, It' my island" at inbound tourists :o

"ONLY 25%" :D

what's a "plain spotter" :D

"inbound tourists"?...where? :D

Plain= Area having no visible elevation or depression; flat; level. Like the thing the planes land on :wai:

Stuck over in Phuket today and can't get back cos the flights to samui are full today(only 3 of them,I know)

Patong/ bangla is overflowing , can't park anywhere and can't see the street for people (there is a Mcdondalds and a starbucks in Bangla now :D , been a while since i was last here)

Samui really needs to get it's finger out with it's marketing and services, phuket is walking all over it

no that that is not correct, BKK Air COULD easily be running 20+ flights a day...take a look, they ran 15 today (have a look at their website)...why? because 25%+ LESS people are coming here now (and its been that way for months)...and will get "worse" :o

sorry but your missing my point which was in the 1st paragraph..........its called the package tour/charter business,you'd by pass BKK airways,and its caled a captured market.

After the Tsunami, Samui had the upper hand regarding tropical beach tourism in the LOS and, in classic and completely predictable form, they dropped the ball. Big Time.

There is simply no vision at any governmental level on the Island that does not involve lining one's pockets or bowing to the threat of some other authority -- legitimate or otherwise.

Samui's saving grace is that it is a small island, and change can potentially come fast! But first and foremost, a comprehensive overall of the infrastructure MUST be installed. Without it, Samui will always be like the young, gifted athlete who'd rather drink, womanize and play the hot-shot role than get serious and have an enviable life.

After the Tsunami, Samui had the upper hand regarding tropical beach tourism in the LOS and, in classic and completely predictable form, they dropped the ball. Big Time.

There is simply no vision at any governmental level on the Island that does not involve lining one's pockets or bowing to the threat of some other authority -- legitimate or otherwise.

Samui's saving grace is that it is a small island, and change can potentially come fast! But first and foremost, a comprehensive overall of the infrastructure MUST be installed. Without it, Samui will always be like the young, gifted athlete who'd rather drink, womanize and play the hot-shot role than get serious and have an enviable life.

and maybe thats how she will be left,but i just cant see these big dollar resorts becoming full unless they do something themselves to intitiate it,the new hyatt just north of chaweng comes to mind.

I couldnt agree more dave.

On the other hand, TAT seem to be realizing (as Samui tourism assosiation sit and drink sangsom thinking everything is better than ever) that things needs to be done in order to gain back tourists to Thailand. They recently came up with the idea of a "Thai national drink" to promote themselves (it´s a joke i know but still, can´t blame them for trying). And today i got a e-mail from TAT saying they now open their own homepage to show Thailand as a tourist destination. http://amazingthailand.tourismthailand.org...s/traveler2.htm

To bad samui tourism assosiation still seem to have the oppinion our figures are going up. :o .

Let´s see if they eventually after this highseason (worst i history?) wake up and smell reality. You never know...