Pattaya Crime

APMann

I have noticed of late not just TV but all Thai media outlets seem to be (1) updating their news less and (2) reporting much less crime. I suspect it is still continuing because I have seen some newsworthy yet unreported examples - eg 3am in Jomtien on Sunday - a heavily armed (automatic rifles) SWAT team and police were called to a gun shooting near Jomtien Complex. but it didn't make the news.

Has the airport/Bangkok crisis paralysed the Pattaya news media, or is it something more? Or am I being pessimistic and crime has almost cleared up in a patriotic display by Pattaya's drugged up, gun toting teenage criminals and desperados?

Edited by APMann

Crime seems to be increasing in Pattaya, depending on your baseline.

I was recently "Scammed" with impunity out of 28,500 THB (802 USD, 630 EURO) by a travel agent in Pattaya.

Joy Travel Soi 8 (many other names and location).

Help from police, TAT and other NONE

Here is a link: ucheck.us/futz/wjoy.html

If more interested in "physical crimes" you might try Pattaya News, IMHO Thai TV is not really a good source of "real unbiased news" in Thailand.

I was recently "Scammed" with impunity out of 28,500 THB (802 USD, 630 EURO) by a travel agent in Pattaya.

If more interested in "physical crimes" you might try Pattaya News, IMHO Thai TV is not really a good source of "real unbiased news" in Thailand.

Wow.

I used their Soi Bua Khao Branch (The one with a ladyboy operating it) and they tried to charge me 2,000 baht for a visa run after I had been using their service several times at 1,800 baht. Now, Im no cheap charlie, and I understand prices do rise, however, the shop had huge stickers right across their window saying "VISA RUN 1,800 BAHT". These stickers were still there 6 months later.

I took my custom somewhere else and never returned.

I'll remember to stay well away from these shops.

Futz, i'm struggling to follow the logistics of your story. Were you overseas at the time? And

remitted the payment in this method? And then they denied any knowledge/responsibility?

i've used their visa-run service and found the driver's/assistants helpful but now go in one

of their offices(and their are about 20 in town) you can get anything from an experienced

agent to some snotty teenager. it's not confidence inspiring to say the very least.

Unless this is a mate of mine who has just registered here, this is the second time I have heard this in two days, same amount, same company.

I have noticed of late not just TV but all Thai media outlets seem to be (1) updating their news less and (2) reporting much less crime. I suspect it is still continuing because I have seen some newsworthy yet unreported examples - eg 3am in Jomtien on Sunday - a heavily armed (automatic rifles) SWAT team and police were called to a gun shooting near Jomtien Complex. but it didn't make the news.

Has the airport/Bangkok crisis paralysed the Pattaya news media, or is it something more? Or am I being pessimistic and crime has almost cleared up in a patriotic display by Pattaya's drugged up, gun toting teenage criminals and desperados?

wasn't there a thread a few weeks about the Mayor asking for bad news to be toned down?? And Howard denied it. Maybe it is true

I have noticed of late not just TV but all Thai media outlets seem to be (1) updating their news less and (2) reporting much less crime. ..<snipped>...

The Thai media has _always_ reported far less crime than actually occurs. This is the 'Land of Smiles' and they surely don't want to tarnish that image, especially to potential tourists. Consider that due to the current economic woes, it has been estimated that 1-million Thai's will likely lose their jobs!!

Now what kind of influence do you think that might have on the crime rate...???

just got off the baht bus heading up 2nd road to the tops supermarket and i actually

witnessed a pickpocketing attempt. 4 people sitting on the bench across from me and

then the bus stops and two ladymen get on. ahem. they force their way into this space

squeezing were there is room and it's soon apparent why. They each have large shoulder

bags clutched to their waist and with the their opposing arm(underneath the bag) they

try to stick their fingers in the passengers pockets. how bold. the englishman across from me

caught it first i guess he felt the sensation on his leg and his hand clamped down on his thigh.

i was in shock, i'd seen it happen but my brain wasn't registering. then we looked at each other

and i nodded at him like, yeah, that katuhy was trying to take your wallet bud. so, despite the

recent arrests, this appears to be becoming like a business in town with certain groups specifically

picking out elderly targets on the bus. sititng next to them to try and trying to filch their wallets. :o

castration too good for these buggers

in the case of the lady boys i expect they would be happy with a free castration :o

Castration or worse could well be a reality

Please be careful - I caught a pickpocket who had stolen my telephone the week before with her hand in my pocket

I grabbed her arm and was then attacked - yes attacked not threatened with a rather large knife

It's a jungle out there - be safe

Its probably fair to say crime will rise as money becomes much tighter. I am amazed anybody would think any differently considering the well known effects of what happens when an economy goes south - crime rises. Not exactly rocket science I would assume.

Well, you know, these people aren't stealing to have money to eat. They're stealing for

quick money to buy mobile phones or supplement their next "procedure". i hate to say

it but i believe they do circuits all over town until they've found a victim. the other

morning i got on a baht bus on south soi buakow and had some ladymen trying to sit

on top of me (we now know why) and then i saw them get on the baht bus at carrefour

shortly after and then at the big-c an hour later. i don't welcome any confrontations but

i've already had "two" in the last several months and i just really don't care anymore. :o

Well, you know, these people aren't stealing to have money to eat. They're stealing for

quick money to buy mobile phones or supplement their next "procedure". i hate to say

it but i believe they do circuits all over town until they've found a victim. the other

morning i got on a baht bus on south soi buakow and had some ladymen trying to sit

on top of me (we now know why) and then i saw them get on the baht bus at carrefour

shortly after and then at the big-c an hour later. i don't welcome any confrontations but

i've already had "two" in the last several months and i just really don't care anymore. :o

You seem to have alot of experience with these ladymen, is there something you want to tell us? :D

Joy travel soi 8 has scammed many people, and the Tourist police is well aware. If you had called the Tourist police they would have sorted it out for you.

Barry

I have noticed of late not just TV but all Thai media outlets seem to be (1) updating their news less and (2) reporting much less crime. ..<snipped>...

The Thai media has _always_ reported far less crime than actually occurs. This is the 'Land of Smiles' and they surely don't want to tarnish that image, especially to potential tourists. Consider that due to the current economic woes, it has been estimated that 1-million Thai's will likely lose their jobs!!

Now what kind of influence do you think that might have on the crime rate...???

Sorry guys I actually meant the ENGLISH SPEAKING/WRITING press in Pattaya are reporting less crime, not the Thai media. Some troubling tales on here though and with probably a lot more to come. Still, why report crime when there's another condo opening, or some nonentity is having a bunch of flowers thrust in their face for another photo op.

What a silly topic title....

Do you really think that crime would have simply "stopped"?

According to my wife she read a Thai paper today and said that a security guard at Birra race circuit who was looking after 4 high powered bikes, was murdered and the 4 bikes stolen.

Joy travel soi 8 has scammed many people, and the Tourist police is well aware. If you had called the Tourist police they would have sorted it out for you.

Barry

It would be really helpful if we could get some more feedback on these allegations of fraud from the

Soi 8 travel offices? If even 2 or 3 people came forward that would be enough for me but all we seem

to have at the moment are claims? There are "2" joy travel offices on soi 8. I'm sure many members

frequent this area so let's clear this up? What exactly is the story/deal with this place? :o

Specifically Futz, did they talk you into making a direct deposit at the bank? Or did you remit funds from

abroad? And did you determine if it was in fact a business acct or someone's personal acct? Other 1st person

experiences would also be welcome. I'm just trying to narrow this down to facts and evidence and

corroborating versions, not just emotional rants. I don't discount your story but please inform others. :o

witnessed a chain snatch this afternoon. we were behind a baht bus as we were waiting to get around Dolphin Roundabout. a thai woman on the baht bus started to scream after a bike with 2 young guys on it had driven up to the baht bus and grabbed her necklace straight off her neck and took off. we tried to catch up to get the license but we were in a truck and they were on a motorbike. they were out of sight within seconds...

witnessed a chain snatch this afternoon. we were behind a baht bus as we were waiting to get around Dolphin Roundabout. a thai woman on the baht bus started to scream after a bike with 2 young guys on it had driven up to the baht bus and grabbed her necklace straight off her neck and took off. we tried to catch up to get the license but we were in a truck and they were on a motorbike. they were out of sight within seconds...

A useful reminder that the threat of crime in baht buses isn't just from the inside, with pickpockets, but can also come from outside grabs.

Even though a lot of Thai on foreigner crime is unreported, the Thai on Thai stuff is probably off the scale. Maybe that's why misterman21 (no relation) reports that the mayor thinks the city is crime-free - because so little is being reported!

A useful reminder that the threat of crime in baht buses isn't just from the inside, with pickpockets, but can also come from outside grabs.

Even though a lot of Thai on foreigner crime is unreported, the Thai on Thai stuff is probably off the scale. Maybe that's why misterman21 (no relation) reports that the mayor thinks the city is crime-free - because so little is being reported!

Actually we could be related my great great grandfather was the late A P Misterman :o

The council have instructed the press to downplay the reporting of violent crime in Pattaya.

Pattaya Daily News tries not to report more than 2 severe crime items each day, in accordance with the council's request to downplay violence, but we have reported many similar events in the past and feel that trying to pull the wool over the public's eyes is not the way to go about reducing the senseless violence which increasingly characterizes this city. Rather, we feel that all such incidents must be reported in full to pressurize the Powers That Be into taking some constructive action.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000007726