Suvarnabhumi Siege Ends, Airport To Open Friday

george

Well, Europe is cold and lot of snow...

But Australia has lots of incredible beaches and very good climate, so i really do not understand why people form Oz want to go to Thailand.....

EUROPE in winter - skiing & snowboarding of course! :o

Most (not all) of Australia is far too cold for warm a tropical holiday.

But Australian beaches are a joke (Note: I am from Sydney). I rarely go to the beach across the road form my apartment but frequently go to Thai beaches. The reason: There is NOTHING on Aussie beaches them except sand! No chairs, no food for sale, no umbrellas, I can't even buy a beer. Also jet skis are banned virtually everywhere, if there are rentable water sports they are expensive. You have to bring your own EVERYTHING. Australia's beaches are "nice" and "beautiful", but only in the same way a nice new unfurnished empty house looks nice & can be beautiful.

Yes whilst many people loooooooove the idea of "unspoilt beaches", myself and a hefty percentage of people find them utterly boring & pointless, so why does EVERY SINGLE beach in Australia have to be the same bland boring "bring your own" type beach?

Sure jet skis annoy many people but why can't there be just ONE beach here & there (amongst the 5-gazillion beaches along the coastline) that is jet ski friendly???

The selfish & inconsiderate "beaches-should-be-unspoilt" crowd selfishly insist on 101% of beaches as they like them!!! For instance there is not one single beach in Sydney with ANY facilities ON THE BEACH Maybe there are 3 or 5 island resort beaches in Qld with some facilities but you have to stay at the resort to enjoy them.

I really cannot fathom the "unspoilt crowd" - do these people have no furniture in their apartments? Would you liek an "unspoilt house" (ie: one with bare walls & just carpet)? Because that is how pointless Aussie beaches are.

Also note: the water temp in Thailand is nice and warm - in Northern Queensland it is too, but there are stingers (box jellyfish) risks for much of the year (more & longer the further you go North).

Sorry to get off topic but the way Aussie beaches are wasted winds me up; even more so when people crap on as if they are good; they are just like Thailand:- could so frustratingly-easily be fixed but the locals all insist they know better.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is all very easy for singles to get out of the country via the train (though it is 36 hours from bkk to kl) assuming the flooding has stopped at hat yai (which it hasnt , that is why the above poster took more than 48 hours), but a large percentage of the people stuck in Thailand are families.

Have you ever tried moving a baby or young children around like many of you are assuming ? I dont think so !

Firstly the costs are obviously larger (2 adults + child) then you have all the problems of food, toilets, waiting around, etc.

Thailand as a family destination - which is what it has tried to push itself as for the last few year - is dead for years.

Thailand as a single mans playground - which is what thailand has tried to stop / change - is now the main/only game in town.

They have shot themselves in the foot / arm / leg / everywhere

A very good point and well made.

I am OK - I am one of those single travellers and if I can't get my flight on Tuesday I will probably go Cambodia, KL, London. I fully accept that I could not do that with with kids in tow. So for me it has all been a minor inconvenience (thus far!) and I have gained 8 days extra - for families it must have been (a) A nightmare and ( :o A huge deterrent for future visits.

I sympathise.

I have been around Thailand for 10 years now and I think the TAT have made a tremendous effort to make Thailand attractive to the family market.

And with notable success.

This coupled with the improvements to the infrastructere, new modern airport, skytrain, underground, new roads, new hotels, beaches clean up, etc has made the LOS a very popular family destination, and this despite the rigours of getting there and back long haul.

Although the PAD elements will claim these projects to be corrupt , nevertheless they were needed and have contributed to the repeat business from the family market.

Your point of view is very understandable.

I agree, the actions of these few has cast a long shadow on the suitability of Thailand for the family holiday market.

Who is going to work all year, and make the sacrifices, to risk an expensive holiday to Thailand with such fanatical unnacountable instability.

It is very much a lottery, and as the man says "it could be you".

Hi all

First post, but reading regularly the last 2 weeks. And sorry for my not so good english.

I thought I'd share this - in my opinion - far too optimistic plan: Swiss International Air Lines will fly from BKK to ZRH this Saturday already, found on swiss.com:

SWISS will be resuming its scheduled services to and from Bangkok from Saturday, December 6. The first westbound SWISS service from Bangkok will arrive in Zurich at 06:10 on Sunday, December 7. Until the resumption of its scheduled non-stop flights between Zurich and Bangkok, SWISS will continue to operate the present daily triangular service on the Zurich – Singapore – Chiang Mai – Zurich routing. Normal SWISS scheduled services to and from Thailand and Singapore from December 6, 2008.

There were some columns in the Bangkok Post yesterday which made some interesting

observations. #1 They actually had advance warning of this whole debacle because

previously of course, the PAD had blockaded Phuket and Krabi Airports correct? #2

It really does raise security concerns, some flights are having to be re-inspected before

reaching their final destination causing additional delays. I mean come-on. If a bunch of

unarmed civilians can just walk in and take over an airport how difficult would it be for

people who had even more devious intent? A lot of respectability was lost here. :o

Samui04: But Australia has lots of incredible beaches and very good climate, so i really do not understand why people form Oz want to go to Thailand.....

Read what fire & ice wrote. The tree huggers and anti everything crowd have way to much to say here... and they get a lot of concessions from governments.

Beaches in LOS are far more vibrant.

There were some columns in the Bangkok Post yesterday which made some interesting

observations. #1 They actually had advance warning of this whole debacle because

previously of course, the PAD had blockaded Phuket and Krabi Airports correct? #2

It really does raise security concerns, some flights are having to be re-inspected before

reaching their final destination causing additional delays. I mean come-on. If a bunch of

unarmed civilians can just walk in and take over an airport how difficult would it be for

people who had even more devious intent? A lot of respectability was lost here. :D

From KLM web site:

The International Airport Suvarnabhumi of Bangkok has been reopened. Therefore KLM is resuming the direct flights to Bangkok starting 4 December.

KL877 will depart to Bangkok on Thursday 4 December at 08.35 pm. The return flight, the KL878, is expected to arrive on Saturday 6 December at 02.10 pm at Schiphol Airport.

Of course they will check for mineral water bottle, :D we all know thanxs to the british police that they are used to blow up airplanes :o .

Im not sure if everyone knows or if its been mentioned but OneTwoGo had planned, prior to all this happening, to resume their domestic operations from DMK on 5 December. Well, this date is still happening, they must never have imagined the airport was going to be shut down when they set this date, but how lucky for them that the place reopens just in time. So if your stuck and need another option www.fly12go.com is operational and taking bookings. Its not been very well publicized from what I have seen.

people who had even more devious intent? A lot of respectability was lost here. :o

Very true, complicity indeed.

Sadly ,Thailand is now a prime hotspot for international terrorist attention.

The good news is world anti-terrorist organisations will now be monitoring PAD activities, and can therefore pass on info to the democratically elected government.

The damage has been done though. Today, despite the ending of the siege etc etc, the Australian Government has advised its citizens to "RECONSIDER YOUR NEED TO TRAVEL" to Thailand.

Upto today, the warning was just for Bangkok, but now it's been updated to include the WHOLE COUNTRY!

More mass hotel cancellations coming......

The Oz govt travel warnings are consistently paranoid. The one time they shd have warned and didnt was before the Bali bombings - the US had warned them - but they didnt pass it on. All they care about is covering their own backs.

Glen

I cant get Insurance and my flight the day after Xmass is now canceled.

I believe the AU Government is right. The PAD are not going to accept any new Government and the chances of some sore losers starting trouble is just way to high. Anybody that don't agree has rocks in their head. If its was ever going to happen its now and so warnings should be given to people traveling to Thailand. I know Schools had planned a trip to Thailand and the NSW Education Department has put a stop to that also.

I love Thailand and cant wait to get back. I am very sad i may miss catching up with all my friends this NY but what can I do? I'm not going without medical insurance and after a flight to Singapore or KL taking a overnight Bus to BKK as that's no fun at all. I may as well Fly to KL and check out some place new...

At night i sit in my home thinking as a business person how I would recover or protect myself in Thailand against whats going on and I am reminded that business is risky enough but add whats going on in Thailand and i think some more businesses are going to close in BKK due to the damage this is causing. And no i don't want to ever consider investing in Thailand now, Great place to visit but never invest.

As if to add salt to the wound the bank is only offering me 20THM for AU$1.... How can that be possible? I got 32THB only a few months ago... THB is not that strong to ride this high with all that's going on.

I cant get Insurance and my flight the day after Xmass is now canceled.

I believe the AU Government is right. The PAD are not going to accept any new Government and the chances of some sore losers starting trouble is just way to high. Anybody that don't agree has rocks in their head. If its was ever going to happen its now and so warnings should be given to people traveling to Thailand. I know Schools had planned a trip to Thailand and the NSW Education Department has put a stop to that also.

I love Thailand and cant wait to get back. I am very sad i may miss catching up with all my friends this NY but what can I do? I'm not going without medical insurance and after a flight to Singapore or KL taking a overnight Bus to BKK as that's no fun at all. I may as well Fly to KL and check out some place new...

At night i sit in my home thinking as a business person how I would recover or protect myself in Thailand against whats going on and I am reminded that business is risky enough but add whats going on in Thailand and i think some more businesses are going to close in BKK due to the damage this is causing. And no i don't want to ever consider investing in Thailand now, Great place to visit but never invest.

As if to add salt to the wound the bank is only offering me 20THM for AU$1.... How can that be possible? I got 32THB only a few months ago... THB is not that strong to ride this high with all that's going on.

:o Are you saying you can't get a (health) insurance for a holiday trip to Thailand...because of the situation in LOS ?

Holy Moly....does that count for everybody ?...If so, the planes must be empty.

LaoPo

Travel Insurance, perhaps?

Probably not, Mumbai where off course things were allot worse the insurance companies don't have to pay out due to act of terrorism.... And as much as people want to say what the PAD did was not terrorism, their actions fit the definition to a T....

Interesting times ahead.... I think this is the calm before the storm, I don't think the PAD are done...

The damage has been done though. Today, despite the ending of the siege etc etc, the Australian Government has advised its citizens to "RECONSIDER YOUR NEED TO TRAVEL" to Thailand.

Upto today, the warning was just for Bangkok, but now it's been updated to include the WHOLE COUNTRY!

More mass hotel cancellations coming......

All the Embassies / Governments have to be overly paranoid in case anything happens to one of their nationals. Just covering their ar5es!

Currently not possible due to government security warnings on Thailand. I have been in daily contact with a number of providers and cant get approval for even limited medical insurance. :o

Probably not, Mumbai where off course things were allot worse the insurance companies don't have to pay out due to act of terrorism.... And as much as people want to say what the PAD did was not terrorism, their actions fit the definition to a T....

Interesting times ahead.... I think this is the calm before the storm, I don't think the PAD are done...

I searched many insurance companies before the airport closures and none of them (that I have found) cover acts of terrorism or civil unrest. Its in the fine print. However I find it hard to believe that you can't get any coverage at all. Many have an "add on" that you can purchase to allow you to cancel for any reason and recoup a percentage of your losses.

QUOTE (themook @ 2008-12-04 12:11:09)

Currently not possible due to government security warnings on Thailand. I have been in daily contact with a number of providers and cant get approval for even limited medical insurance.

Ok nevermind my comments. Hopefully the warnings will be lifted in the coming days.

Edited by blackendangel13

Not sure what kind of insurance provider you keep yourself too, but when I lived in Europe I was covered from the get-go from my provider, no reason to get extra coverage when going out of the country...it was already there.

Perhaps something for next time...

Currently not possible due to government security warnings on Thailand. I have been in daily contact with a number of providers and cant get approval for even limited medical insurance. :o

You just spreading disinformation and unnecessary panic I just visit website of Europassistance one of the biggest in Europe and there is no problem what so ever for an medical travel insurance in Thailand,

The same go's for DKV international health insurance.

You just spreading disinformation and unnecessary panic I just visit website of Europassistance one of the biggest in Europe and there is no problem what so ever for an medical travel insurance in Thailand,

I searched many insurance companies before the airport closures and none of them (that I have found) cover acts of terrorism or civil unrest. Its in the fine print. However I find it hard to believe that you can't get any coverage at all. Many have an "add on" that you can purchase to allow you to cancel for any reason and recoup a percentage of your losses.

QUOTE (themook @ 2008-12-04 12:11:09)

Currently not possible due to government security warnings on Thailand. I have been in daily contact with a number of providers and cant get approval for even limited medical insurance.

My insurer, while saying that I probably won't be able to claim for extra days spent in Thailand because of the civil unrest, has happily extended for an extra week at minimal cost to cover all other eventualities.

Let's all hope that whoever is in charge of Thailand now arranges immediately some sort of security measures to prevent the PAD or any other mob from entering the airports. Immediately, I mean 10.01am !!

My thoughts entirely !!!! Would like to see a large number of troops at the airport immediately with all approach roads sealed off and real security enforced.

I accept that troops at such places dont look good to the average Joe, but in these times a necessity I fear

I absolutely agree !!! They need to immediately put some very strong reinforcement there so that no other mob can come in and take over and cause the hardships this has of which we are all bearing the brunt right now .... BUT ,.... WHO will instruct that since we have no government rite now ... :o ...the court ....???

I'm afraid that without popular will- the PAD- or coups- or as yet unknown threats- will continue to hold Thailand hostage periodically. Reading statements from various officials over the year- like 'we have to be careful or there army might launch a coup'- 'we have to be careful of what we don because the PAD might take over oil refinerys'- there is a tone that would be expected when warning about plagues of grasshoppers - flooods- or volcanos- not the behavior of their fellow citizens. (Imagine a country saying we must be careful of what laws we pass, what government we elect- what verdicts our courts hand down- because the local street gangs might not agree).

When the population lets it be known that they accept a coup under NO circumstances- (as they would accept foreign attack under no circumstances)= that they will reject the occupation of public property by self appointed saviors of the nation- then perhaps measures can be put into place- but we are a long way from there yet.

Edited by blaze

Samui04: But Australia has lots of incredible beaches and very good climate, so i really do not understand why people form Oz want to go to Thailand.....

Read what fire & ice wrote. The tree huggers and anti everything crowd have way to much to say here... and they get a lot of concessions from governments.

Beaches in LOS are far more vibrant.

Where is LOS?

Last Thursday I left on the night train from Bangkok and arrived in Hat Yai the next day. Got a shared van ride over to the Thai - Malaysia border and then a taxi from there to Butterworth. From Butterworth I booked a train to Singapore (via KL) and arrived in Singapore around 10 PM Saturday night. Went directly to the airport and flew out the following morning for the US. My "out of pocket" expenses came to around 120 dollars US. This included one hotel in Butterworth. NWA just transferred the accounting data to pay for the flight from Singapore on one of their other flights. Before I left Bangkok I made sure that I had a reserved seat on the flight from Singapore and at no extra charge.

It was a lot of train travel but I had to be at an important meeting on Tuesday. I left Bangkok on late Friday and was back in my hometown just before midnight Sunday in the US. If you do this run have a long sleeve shirt available, like some of the long distance buses the trains I was on were pretty cold. Had to take the regular seats from Bangkok, sleepers were fully booked. In Butterworth I could get a first class seat all the way through to Singapore (127 M ringgits.) Some of the train tracks in Thailand looked like they could be flooded - lots of water around. One hour difference in time between Thai time and Malaysia time.

Good luck.

On the train from Bangkok to Hat Yai I did notice lots of water close to the tracks. A couple times the train went real slow when the water was close to the tracks, I guess they were afraid the tracks would wash away. I was not on this train last year at this time so I don't know if the flooding was normal or a little more than usual.

Member camo007 is from Australia Henry....and he mentioned that as well in his post:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Suvarnabhumi...28#entry2381828

LaoPo

The airport may open but how many of the airlines are going to want to fly into a airport under the threat of being closed down again?

Regarding your quote:

It will not be closed again, PAD will disband just like they did after Thaksin was ousted out. They don't seek governing power, they seek to take out the corrupt people in power, and more importantly, to protect our King.

For the rest:

A lot of you seem to always have a negative opinion for each actions done by these people but you all fail to take a step back and look at the situation as a whole. This is more than a decade old issue going on... For crying out loud, study your facts and look at the long term benefit for this country, not just how it will affect you and your holiday... As if you westerners never had civil wars or public disobedience... Do a research on your history and stop being hypocrites! :o

My thoughts as well.

I have had similar thoughts. This started long before most of us have been coming around these parts.

Many of the seeds of this cock-up were planted well BEFORE 1997, and are only bearing fruit now.

We are barely seeing the tip of a giant iceberg.

I think you are all well aware that PAD threatened to reclose the airport, study your facts.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=135127

'PAD spokesmen said the protesters will "allow flights" to and from Suvarnabhumi, but warned they will stay at the factility and could retake control at any time"

Time will tell how many airlines choose to fly into BKK and how many don't

We are at Kuala Lampur airport ,were just about to board flight to Utapao..

Just been told that the plane is being re-routed to Bangkok.

We are the first Intlernational flight into Bangkok

can't wait

:o

what carrier? air asia, MAS or ???

i am waiting for flight from Suvarnabhum to Kuala Lumpur. my carrier is air asia.

Flew out with Thai Airways...

was a fiasco !

landed at Bangkok...

5 bus loads of people...

driven around the back of the airport...

think it was the cargo section ??????

left waiting in the bus for 45 mins whilst ground crew ran around like nutters

English folk on the bus all laughing and joking and taking bets on if we would actually be allowed off the bus !!!

Everyone else on the bus very somber...

finally got off the bus ( 1 bus at a time )

luckily on first bus...

we are here now...

thank goodness..can't wait to get back home to our lovely island and air out our house.

:D

Edited by Liquid0Li