Thai Airways To Sue Pad For 20 Billion Baht

george

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Sondhi's PAD thugs will bail him out on this one. Each of the 3,000 protesters will only have to donate 6.6 million Baht. Spare change if you can afford to sit around in the airport all week. I think he has nothing to worry about :o

Edited by rainman

I think Sondhi's PAD thugs will bail him out on this one. Each of the 3,000 protesters will only have to donate 6.6 million Baht. I think he has nothing to worry about :D

Yeah, I only hope 20 bn is enough to replace/repair the machines and conveyor belts ruined by urine and excrement.

Such wonderful people :o

They won't have much luck. PAD had a peaceful demonstration their and the airport decided to close for security reasons.

No doubt that it is not real but they made it that way and all media reported it that way.

seems like they have foreseen that.

****! fill in the blanks.

Thai Airways are embarking on a wonderful journey of blame.

It was the PAD wot dunnit !

But us PAD weren't stopped by the Plod !

But us Plod weren't supported by the Troops !

But us Troops weren't empowered by our Leaders !

But our Leaders didn't trust the PPP to back us after we went in !

But us PPP were a "democratically elected" (snore) government voted in by the People !

Sue the People !

In flight meals no longer available.

They won't have much luck. PAD had a peaceful demonstration their and the airport decided to close for security reasons.

No doubt that it is not real but they made it that way and all media reported it that way.

"peacefull" HA...

Can't wait to see your comical posts when the PAD leaders get charged and convicted of TERRORISM....

The damage is done, now its time to pay the fiddle player, well in this case, time tourist will be taking a hard look elsewhere. I cant help but think it was none other than Thai Airways itself that said the Air Embargo is now over. In the end its Taxin who was and is right, its all about the CHEESE. When he thought it paid to hate and kill Muslims, that he could earn pay and privilege through George Bush by ramrodding the south of Thailand and crying Terrorist, he was all over that. Now that he finds out England is for the English and the U.A.E is the capital of all CHEESE he is all Salaams and hairy kisses, Tak Bai? "I don't Recall."

It seems Thai Airways was in trouble before PAD ever moved the goals. It will be interesting to see how bad they are hurt from this as I know many who refused to ever fly with them again before this situation occurred. Now that it appears that they could have prevented the entire Air Fiasco 2008 by just whispering "Bad Idea" it seems they are covering their own tracks with some kind of frivolous lawsuit aimed at invisible powerful people and bankrupt patsies, A well known form of denial and scapegoating, just think about the implications.

As an interesting side note, having not flown in years, because of the Air Fiasco 2008 I will be forced to travel back and forth across the Atlantic and Pacific since people who would normally be happy to come see me have put me on notice Thailand is no longer suitable for meet and greets since the airport security was trained by the same headmaster as Thai bus drivers, any sign of trouble equals a quick exit. Save yourself man, to hel_l with any and all responsibility or ethic as a contracted service provider. I cant help but think of the hotel employees in Mumbai who staid hidden with customers protecting them throughout the ordeal and then reflect on the pathetic situation of all the tourists who were standing in line at Thai Airways who realized the staff all exited out the back door leaving them in line with no explanation and completely SOL.

Air Fiasco 2008 Lawsuit? Where do I sign up?

Thai Aviation,

Spiraling descend for Thai Airways International

By Stéphane Hanot | Nov 07, 2008

BANGKOK, Thailand (eTN) - In times of crisis, what could look as an asset to be backed by a government is turning out to be a burden for Thai Airways International as the airline is unable to adapt rapidly to the situation in turbulent times.

An article in the Bangkok Post generated curiosity in air transport circles in Thailand. In a long interview, Bangkok Airways CEO Dr Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth voiced his concern on the future of Thailand national carrier. The founder of the regional airline Bangkok Airways lashed out the national airline, predicting it could go bust by next year if no reform is done. To aviation veteran journalist Boonsong Kositchotethana, Prasert highlighted that mounting financial troubles, bureaucracy linked to a lack of leadership and allegations of political meddling and corruption were responsible for the dire stand of the airline.

Corruption and political meddling are nothing new in Thailand as they are present in practically any Thai-run business, including most probably Bangkok Airways. But for Bangkok Post interviewer Boonsong Kositchotethana, the big difference between Bangkok airways and Thai Airways resides in the fact that the national carrier is still funded by public money, which makes it more accountable to its acts.

Thai Airways currently experiences a sharp decline of its traffic, exacerbated by political uncertainties in the Kingdom. But external factors are not only the cause for it. In harsh times, the collusion of alleged corruption, nepotism and board of directors’ incompetence are also taking their toll on Thai Airways’ destiny. And dissent voices start to be heard within the airline with some executives thinking that Thai Airways is heading into the wall.

For decades, the government , which owns 51 percent of all shares through the Ministry of Finance (70 percent of all shares are into public hands when including other shareholders), has considered Thai Airways as its own toy of prestige. However, any decision is suspended to the will of the board of director, most of them political appointees.

“They are barely professionals of air transport and if our CEO opposes them, he will be sacked immediately. Our CEO benefits also from support at the highest level,” explained a Thai Airways executive, who spoke under condition of anonymity.

Absence of competence has translated over the last years into strange decisions such as transferring domestic flights to most provincial cities from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang airport, cutting customers from the possibility to connect to TG international network. Another previous executive, asked by the time about the relevance and the professionalism of such a decision by the board of directors, replied by a prudent “no comment.”

The airline continues to fly unprofitable routes with an aging product. Little has been done so far to look thoroughly at the network. “A routes’ review with a downsizing of the airline such as what happened a few years ago at Garuda or Malaysia Airlines is just inconceivable for Thai Airways,” admitted the anonymous executive.

As a matter of fact, Thai Airways is only adjusting frequencies to demand this winter, Thailand’s high season with capacities up by just 2 percent.

TG has also been unable to use properly its own low cost subsidiary, Nok Air (39 percent of all shares), as a complement to its own activities. Both airlines remain today at odds on a common development’s strategy with Nok Air trying to sort out financial problems. Over staffing (20,000 employees for the time), bad human resources as many PNC or headquarters employees are getting a job rather for their political connections than their real skills are just some of the problems the airline is unable to fix.

Same can be said about the inability for TG to invest in time into a new fleet a few years ago. Decisions about the fleet evolution have been many times delayed over the past years due to government changes. Thai Airways average fleet age reaches over 11 years compared to 6.6 years for Singapore Airlines. The presence of 17 Airbus A300 and 18 Boeing 747-400 weight heavily on the airline’s fuel bill. This year, fuel bill should reach up to US$200 million, 35 percent of airline’s total costs.

Some TG executives complaint also that the slow reaction of TG to lower its fuel surcharge as oil goes down makes the airline very uncompetitive in many markets. “On long-haul traffic which represents the bulk of our business, fuel surcharge has decreased by 5 percent to 10 percent by early October as oil prices already plunges by 40 percent on average. This is too little. Keeping fuel surcharge so high for so long just to make more money is the wrong strategy as our competitors lowered sharply their surcharges. Many of our potential passengers have already gone to the competition because of our slow reaction,” added the questioned TG executive.

Thai Airways this week announced a further reduction, this time by 30 percent on most intercontinental routes but it might be already to late to capture back some of the market.

According to Krittaphon Chantalitanon, Thai Airways regional director for Thailand, Indochina and Myanmar, a recently received Airbus A340-600 as well as the delivery of eight Airbus A330 next year will give some relieve to the airline. Cost controls have also been enforced on luggage check-in allowances, in-flight food and water carried on board in a way to reduce weight.

TG is expected to see its annual loss reaching over 9.5 billion baht this year (US$ 270 million). In the interview to the Bangkok Post, Dr. Prasert compared Thai to a patient with terminal-stage cancer, with little prospect for recovery in the near term. He sees the rescue of the national carrier through a full and proper privatization to avoid the collapse.

“It will never happen as to many political interests are into the balance,” said the Thai Airways executive bitterly.

How does the future look? The Thai government will continue to bail out the airline for a question of prestige as it would be a major lose of face for Thailand’s government to get its national carrier getting bust or private. But this prestige will become increasingly expensive over time and translates into a stagnating airline with no defined strategy. The only meager consolation in Dr. Prasert’s interview to the Bangkok Post: Thai Airways is not the only one to be lashed out by him. He judges the Airports Authority of Thailand (AOT) as corrupted and inefficient as the national carrier.

This is funny !!!!

TG wants to sue PAD for 20 BILLION baht ! That equals about $571 million USD.

Meanwhile, their ENTIRE fuel bill for the ENTIRE year, is only expected to be $200 million US (35% of their total operating cost).

They were expecting the annual loss this year (for the WHOLE year) to be approx $271 million US.

So they are suing PAD for double their expected loss for the whole year, (with hefty executive bonuses added in of course) !

Actually, it works out that $571 million US, is what costs Thai to operate for an entire year (fuel, wages, maintenance, fees, etc).

So they want PAD to pay all their costs for an entire year.

That's one way to show a profit. It'll never happen, but if it did, I could see all the executives giving themselves big bonuses next year, and congratulating themselves for "turning Thai around and showing a profit" !

Good luck with that !

Your posts are a constant cause of wonder. Yet an insight for all that.

Anywhere else it would probably possible to sue organizers, here I doubt it due to connections. Aside from that they could just threaten to take over the airport again. Probably just Thai chasing a government handout.

And finally, hopefully things will calm down and some deals get done. Who really cares what bunch get their snouts in the trough if harmony ensues.

Sondhi has 100+ cases at court and rarely loose.

I know it is nonsense, but it will work in Thailand. He hold a peaceful (not my thinking but it will be accepted by the court) demonstration outside of the airport. The airport boss shut down the airport for security reason (that is fact) and not PAD.

That PAD take it complete and also the tower was later when it was shut already.

No question it is bending the law to complete nonsense but it will work.

AND I don't know what background deals were made as well.

This is funny !!!!

TG wants to sue PAD for 20 BILLION baht ! That equals about $571 million USD.

Meanwhile, their ENTIRE fuel bill for the ENTIRE year, is only expected to be $200 million US (35% of their total operating cost).

They were expecting the annual loss this year (for the WHOLE year) to be approx $271 million US.

So they are suing PAD for double their expected loss for the whole year, (with hefty executive bonuses added in of course) !

Actually, it works out that $571 million US, is what costs Thai to operate for an entire year (fuel, wages, maintenance, fees, etc).

So they want PAD to pay all their costs for an entire year.

That's one way to show a profit. It'll never happen, but if it did, I could see all the executives giving themselves big bonuses next year, and congratulating themselves for "turning Thai around and showing a profit" !

Good luck with that !

I think Thai Airways is not only calculating the lost fuel. And they're not only calculating losses in the next 12 months, but also in the future. Plus, if you take the time to look up who owns Thai Airways, I think it's quite easy to predict the verdict on this one in the courts.

So they're going to sue PAD but what exactly is PAD? A registered business? A registered charity? A legally recognised organisation? Just what exactly is it they are going to sue? What assets does it have? hmm....

12 PAD leaders were named in person as the responsible ones. I guess one can take it from there.

If they cannot sue PAD itself - as a company or whatever - maybe they will discover who the real backers are / were - and sue them.

If not, maybe they can sue each individual and bankrupt them, making others of their ilk and like think twice about staging such protests in the future.

Best of to Thai Airways and may they succeed in this action.

I think Thai Airways is not only calculating the lost fuel. And they're not only calculating losses in the next 12 months, but also in the future. Plus, if you take the time to look up who owns Thai Airways, I think it's quite easy to predict the verdict on this one in the courts.

Dont beat around the bush, come out and say it (or shut up about it) :o

Sondhi has 100+ cases at court and rarely loose.

And you are a fanboy of such a criminal.

How many millions are you giving to those busiensses damaged by the actions of the PAD? Or are you one of those cowards who fan the flames as long as it is about destruction, but later when it comes to taking responsibility for it, you are one of the quiet ones?

It does not seem fair that foreigners (tourists) are forced to pay for the actions of the PAD, the PAD and all their followers should take responsibility like adult citizens.

And I am amazed that a lawsuit is necessary, I would have thought to hear from people like you that they opened a bank account where money is collected for this cause, filling it with all their private money first.

Waiting to hear the amount you are giving and the bank account number where all your friends can send their money now.

If you do a bit of reading, you'll know who owns Thai Airways. And for PAD, that probably means they need to start looking for a life in exile.

Why are you not saying who owns THAI AIRWAYS INTERNATIONAL PCL? 51.03 is a single owner and 48.96 is a float. (Of which there are many owners)

BTW ---- That single 51.03% owner is the Ministry of Finance of Thailand .....

the next three largest owners are mutual funds companies owned by 3 different Thai Banks

http://www.set.or.th/set/companyholder.do?...&country=US

I am thinking a conspiracy theory here may be fizzling .

(and yes many many people are owners ...)

So they're going to sue PAD but what exactly is PAD? A registered business? A registered charity? A legally recognised organisation? Just what exactly is it they are going to sue? What assets does it have? hmm....

Blood from a stone.

Good thing about Thailand is that if they don't have any money, they go to prison. Which is satisfactoy for most right minded people

Blood from a stone.

For this i have to agree with you , waste of time,

If you do a bit of reading, you'll know who owns Thai Airways. And for PAD, that probably means they need to start looking for a life in exile.

Why are you not saying who owns THAI AIRWAYS INTERNATIONAL PCL? 51.03 is a single owner and 48.96 is a float. (Of which there are many owners)

BTW ---- That single 51.03% owner is the Ministry of Finance of Thailand .....

the next three largest owners are mutual funds companies owned by 3 different Thai Banks

http://www.set.or.th/set/companyholder.do?...&country=US

I am thinking a conspiracy theory here may be fizzling .

(and yes many many people are owners ...)

Interesting ! So: the majority of the shares are owned by a Thai ministry and thus bought with tax money from the people of Thailand...nobody else's money.

The problem for those same people is that if Thai Airways goes under the airline has to be saved, one way or another, or to be merged with another airline.

In both cases it will cost more substantial cash and guess where THAT has to come from -again- ? :o

It's AGAIN the Thai population who loses and it's AGAIN the elite and military who won because they don't care who loses, as long as it's not THEM....but the poor. :D

LaoPo

Hmmmm you seem to be leaving out the rest of the owners LaoPo just because you want to rant about the PAD. It would appear that it would be the taxpayers would shoulder the majority of the damages here but just barely ....

TG is the National carrier ----

The reason for pointing out who owns this is that yet again people were whispering and making a conspiracy theory without any grounding in FACTS about a PCL in Thailand.

(another fact is that civil courts will not be sending people to jail .... lol)