Thai Airways To Sue Pad For 20 Billion Baht

george

I've read thru' all the posts, the only view I have, it is a terrible time for Thailand to have these high profile self recriminating resentments that have burst onto the world stage at an extremely misfortunate time.

The world is going through a real monetary financial change; this will impact on spending, investments, retirements and speculative groups, this must be apparent in Thailand...???

Why in the 'land of Smiles', a gateway to Asia so driven to commit 'suicide' internally and for what......... Thaksin is still free and got the financial means, PAD, effectively walked away without any recriminations, the King is still revered and rightly so, yet just before his Birthday these internal problems were put on the world stage and then withdrawn without any significant answer........... ?? :o

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Thai airlines sue Chamlong. He has nothing, maybe he can donate his slippers. Why is everybody talking about the elite and don't talk about chamlong who gave his last money for an institution which takes care of patients with kidney problems who cannot afford threatment in hospitals. Don't forget that this so called free 30THB hospital service doesn't cover real diseases. Thank you Thaksin for nothing. He's shopping and playing golf and his fans have nothing and cannot even pay for transport to a hospital.

I don't agree with all the methodes of the PAD but beware of the reds I've met them in Chiang mai and they are much worse. They only scream about killing. The PAD said Thaksin get out.

Maybe the following opinion is nice to read. He also does not hide his identity like this PAD bashers, the egoists.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=a_zDjYlgsh_Y

Mandela, Clinton Should Make Room for Thaksin: William Pesek

Email | Print | A A A

Commentary by William Pesek

Dec. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Move over Nelson Mandela. Step aside Bill Clinton. You, too, Bill Gates. Make room for a new thought leader and philanthropist: Thaksin Shinawatra.

That’s not a joke, even if it does have TheOnion.com written all over it. Feel free to check for yourself at http://www.buildingbetterfuture.org/ just how serious the ousted Thai leader is about his fitness to “nurture the next generation of Asia’s business and financial leaders” and help draft development policy in the region.

Thaksin’s Building a Better Future Foundation will have offices in Hong Kong and the United Arab Emirates. That may be where extradition officials can find the man facing jail time back home for a corruption conviction.

Give the man points for thinking big. He has already helped bring a nation to its knees and took on Europe as owner of soccer team Manchester City. (The U.K. recently revoked his visa.) Shaping Asia’s future seems as big a goal as any for this self- made billionaire.

Thaksin is a better example of how not to lead or inspire Asia’s future. Just as few would seek the advice of Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi on political correctness or U.S. President George W. Bush on diplomacy, Asians shouldn’t look to Thaksin for pointers on building their future.

Look no further than the wreckage he left behind in Asia’s eighth-biggest economy.

Thai Democracy

It’s disingenuous to blame Thaksin alone for Thailand’s political crisis. Thaksin was elected and then went about bastardizing Thailand’s democracy over a five-year period. He was sentenced to two years in prison for helping his then-wife -- the couple divorced last month -- buy land from the government. And now he won’t go away.

It would have been better if Thaksin had been removed by democratic institutions in 2006 rather than in a coup. And the leadership of the generals who grabbed power was just as opaque and unpredictable as Thaksin’s.

More than two years later, the nation’s power structure has devolved into a farce. Thailand is awash in the kind of political chaos observers said had become a thing of the past. Protesters have taken airports in Bangkok; Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, who is Thaksin’s brother-in-law, is on the defensive amid coup rumors; grenades are going off in the capital; and investors are left with a stark question: Why bother?

“The impact to the economy will be pretty severe,” says Euben Paracuelles, a Singapore-based economist at Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc.

Distant Memory

The only winners are Indonesia, Vietnam and other developing Asian economies. Thai leaders and the protesters fighting them are seeing to it that investors and corporate executives who planned to bet on Thailand look elsewhere in Asia instead.

It’s not that Thailand’s $246 billion economy lacks potential, or that great things shouldn’t be expected of its 66 million people. Five years ago, Thailand was more of a success story than a cautionary one. Living standards were rising, stocks were buoyant and neighboring leaders envied Thailand’s progress.

That’s a distant memory now. Choosing Somchai as prime minister in September was an act of provocation. It also solidified the view among opposition forces that Thaksin was a shadow leader. One reason the People’s Alliance for Democracy wants Somchai to resign is concern that Thaksin is plotting a return to power.

Corrupt Leader

Many see Thaksin’s new foundation as an attempt to counter his enemies’ portrayal of him as a corrupt leader, says Thitinan Pongsudhirak, director of the Institute of Security and International Studies at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok.

Leaders in Bangkok and the protesters garnering global attention are unwittingly achieving the same goal: knocking the economy off the global radar screen and undermining the very people they purport to be looking out for.

Protesters claim to be the champions of average Thais and yet they are trampling on the democratic process, blocking roads, destroying landmarks and forcing businesses and schools to close. By grabbing Bangkok’s airports, they are killing key foreign- exchange-earning industries such as tourism.

Most Thais will be worse off five years from now. Government leaders, meanwhile, are in over their heads. Their response to Thailand’s worsening crisis has been unsteady at best. It’s hardly an inviting environment for investors. One has to be an extreme optimist to expect a more stable political situation in the short run.

Awaiting the King

Thais are anxiously awaiting Dec. 4, when King Bhumibol Adulyadej will address the nation on the eve of his birthday. He is revered as a symbol of stability in a country that has endured 10 coups since ending absolute monarchy in 1932.

The timing of the latest dustup couldn’t be worse. The global credit crisis is infecting Asia with intensifying force. As governments try to shield households from the crisis, Thai leaders are distracted by chaos in the streets. Finance Minister Suchart Thadathamrongvej said the turmoil may cause damage of about 100 billion baht ($2.8 billion) this quarter.

No single person gets all the blame for where Thailand is today. Yet the leaders of tomorrow should think twice before tapping Thaksin for insights. That is, unless one is looking for examples of how not to run a country.

(William Pesek is a Bloomberg News columnist. The opinions expressed are his own.)

To contact the writer of this column: William Pesek in Tokyo at [email protected]

Last Updated: November 30, 2008 17:54 EST

Mommysboy ---- it is your assertion that the PAD caused loss due to "Illegal actions" ... and it may well be that they did not commit illegal actions. Read it again :o (Maybe they did, Maybe the Gov't did, Maybe Thaksin did .. but until a court rules on it then it is merely your opinion of what happened)

It is easy to run with the ... "BUT THEY -----"

But if they are merely found guilty of trespass, or illegal assembly during a SoE etc .. then they could likely walk away from almost any lawsuit. It wouldn't be hard for them to present a strong argument that the Gov't's failure to act was the real problem. you are talking about the law .. not a moral viewpoint that obviously other people may not share.

It may be illegal? They had a court order to stop, where is the maybe?

It may be illegal to shut down 4 airports, it may be illegal to stop train service, it may be illegal to shut down the sea ports, it may be illegal to shoot at people, it may be illegal to shoot at a tv van, it may be illegal to kidnap police???? Sounds like you want to live in the wild west.... Maybe parts of Africa would better suit you?

I am surprised at how many of the PRO-PAD goals are also so PRO-PAD actions..... Agreeing with their mission is one thing, but that does not mean you have to support their actions... People with good intentions often do bad things, can't you see this?

I want to be financially stable so my son has a better life than I did, (good GOAL right?), so does that make me walking into a bank and taking money to achieve my good goal ok?

jdinasia do you honestly support their actions? I am asking about their actions only not the reason behind them YES/NO?

Edited by MyphuketLife

It is highly unlikely Thai would stop flying or be allowed to collapse.

:D Why would it be unlikely ? MUCH larger companies are on the edge of bankruptcy right now and if a badly organized airline like TG doesn't make but lose money it's time to either go under or to merge with another airline company who DO KNOW how to run an airline like Singapore Airlines or Cathay Pacific just to name a few.

snip

The latter is probably best and TG will merge (what's left of it) with another airline.

LaoPo

How about this? It's way too early to talk collapse. TG's peak season occurs Q4/Q1.They will wait and see what the impact is of all the scared off tourists. My gut feeling is that alot of airlines will pull back from the Thai market, so the importance of TG as a feeder into the Star Alliance system won't matter as much. That's why making the case for damages is so important. it buys time. TG has to hope that the tourists will be back.

There is adequate service from Malaysian and Singapore along with the Japanese carriers to fill in the immediate gaps of reduced TG international flights. I doubt there will be much help from Star Alliance partners since they have their own problems. Besides, SQ with SilkAir are Star Alliance can satisfy the need for regional access.

TG's immediate competition is Malaysian and Singapore Airlines. Not too long ago MY was in deep trouble but today it's pulled ahead of TG in quality and service. Thai has neglected its fleet and IMHO it has some serious structural problems. No one will want to merge or buy into it. Would you? :o

Edited by geriatrickid

In fact it was the AOT who initially shut down the airport, not PAD. There were reports that PAD went there to "greet" Somchai coming back from Peru. Then AOT closed it down, and only then PAD took over.

I guess they can try to sue PAD for whatever they have done after the airport was closed. The courts issued and injuction that PAD subsequently appealed, and it had fifteen days to comply anyway.

The whole thing is a non-starter for multiple legal reasons.

Maybe in the end they can get slippers of Chamlong for trespassing.

In fact it was the AOT who initially shut down the airport, not PAD. There were reports that PAD went there to "greet" Somchai coming back from Peru. Then AOT closed it down, and only then PAD took over.

I guess they can try to sue PAD for whatever they have done after the airport was closed. The courts issued and injuction that PAD subsequently appealed, and it had fifteen days to comply anyway.

The whole thing is a non-starter for multiple legal reasons.

Maybe in the end they can get slippers of Chamlong for trespassing.

Yes. Only AOT can order a shut down. But to be fair, the order was a correct call. If you see the video footage, The access road was already blocked all the way to motorway, and AOT only order the shut down when protestors forced their way into the departure hall dispite the airport securities holding them back by closing all the doors.

This is funny !!!!

TG wants to sue PAD for 20 BILLION baht ! That equals about $571 million USD.

Meanwhile, their ENTIRE fuel bill for the ENTIRE year, is only expected to be $200 million US (35% of their total operating cost).

They were expecting the annual loss this year (for the WHOLE year) to be approx $271 million US.

So they are suing PAD for double their expected loss for the whole year, (with hefty executive bonuses added in of course) !

Actually, it works out that $571 million US, is what costs Thai to operate for an entire year (fuel, wages, maintenance, fees, etc).

So they want PAD to pay all their costs for an entire year.

That's one way to show a profit. It'll never happen, but if it did, I could see all the executives giving themselves big bonuses next year, and congratulating themselves for "turning Thai around and showing a profit" !

Good luck with that !

Do not give up your day job!

I would thing Thai Airlines should send PAD a check for the favor...... :D

Seems like last time I heard, Thai was loosing money.... :D

So by stopping all operations, they stopped the flying of aircraft that were loosing money...hence saving Thai money :o

Surely a joke, but I give you credit for the clever thought pattern.

As much as I doubt this lawsuit will yield anything monetarily, I fully agree with it on principle.

And yet again some posters have to 'speculate in the shadows' by 'not naming the names that they dare not to name'. How about you stop playing around?

Why don't you name them?

Surely that is your job as you are the one dropping hints. Please enlighten us, what/who are you talking about?

I wonder who made the decision to close the airport?

I'm guessing it was Airport Authority of Thailand that did and not the PAD.

Good luck Thai Air! I wonder if other airlines will follow suit?

FF

Failed logic at its best. There was a flood, the government closed the road for safety, I didnt get to work, I blame the government.

You know what happens in any Airport when someone gets past security without beeing checked? Everyone have to clear the area and do security check again. AOT did exactly what they had to do in such a situation. There is noone to blame for the closed airport but PAD, and more to the point, its self appointed leaders. That the police didnt stop them do not make PAD innocent of closing the airport. If your try to rob a bank by gunpoint and the police dont get there in time, your still guilty. If police stop you, your still guilty.

The only excuse one can make for PAD is the first day, the next week is purely to blame PAD. They could have released the airport the same day and still made their point. While its a right to stage demonstrations, most civilized countries still DEMAND that such demonstrations are reported to the government in advance, along with where they plan to stage the protest. To fail doing that makes the demonstration illegal, and anyone participating in such demonstrations risk penalty. In my country this is upward from 100 000 baht if your arrested in an illegal demonstration, that is a demonstration that where not reported in advance. Leaders get much more severe charges, but are usually released with "just" fines.

Anyway, this is a good move from Thai Airways. Its a sign of civilization to hand out penalty after law have been broken.

So they're going to sue PAD but what exactly is PAD? A registered business? A registered charity? A legally recognised organisation? Just what exactly is it they are going to sue? What assets does it have? hmm....

:o

:D

Agree. To sue who?

They have loads of fake 1,000 Baht notes.

And yet again some posters have to 'speculate in the shadows' by 'not naming the names that they dare not to name'. How about you stop playing around?

Why don't you name them?

Surely that is your job as you are the one dropping hints. Please enlighten us, what/who are you talking about?

He doesn't have the balls to name names, only incite rumors and hearsay :o

If they cannot sue PAD itself - as a company or whatever - maybe they will discover who the real backers are / were - and sue them.

Best of to Thai Airways and may they succeed in this action.

I don't know but it's like they will sue themselves.

Ms. Cheam See, President of Labor Union of Thai Airways pointed to PAD leaders which parts of Suvarnabhumi to block.

I just don't understand why he did not cut off electricity (aircon) and water (to preserve the airport's infrastructure or to allow The PAD to remain there long time? :o )

I also asked why they didn't cut the e and water.

But

Imagine PAD couldn't flush the toilets.

So by stopping all operations, they stopped the flying of aircraft that were loosing money...hence saving Thai money :o

:D

One thing I've noted is that those who are losing (TG, Railway, TOT) all hate Khun Thaksin/TRT/PPP/PT.

At the moment everyone is losing, and none has any kind words for Thaskin and his PPP proxy government.

Because they don't like Thaksin and maybe agree with PAD goals, the actions PAD used to acheive their goal is ok?

The funny thing is the PAD did not really achieve their goals did they, it looks like the next government will also be a proxy.... When the new "proxy" government comes into play I wounder what is PAD's next "peacefull" mission?

none has any kind words for Thaskin and his PPP proxy government.

I do.

What the hand-shaking :o Khun Somchai did well was not to turn his back to majority of Thais. He did NOT dissolve the House and did NOT to resign. Sorry PAD and desperate Pro PAD.

If they hadn't brought Khun Thaksin down by a coup, Thailand could have gone too far by now.

50 years later, people will start regretting they lost Khun Thaksin.

They won't have much luck. PAD had a peaceful demonstration their and the airport decided to close for security reasons.

Peaceful: The bullet holes are still in the walls at Don Muang.

Block: Trucks and luggage carts were piled up to block people from getting to the airport.

Can I have some of that good stuff you got overthere h90? :D

They won't have much luck. PAD had a peaceful demonstration their and the airport decided to close for security reasons.

Peaceful: The bullet holes are still in the walls at Don Muang.

Block: Trucks and luggage carts were piled up to block people from getting to the airport.

Can I have some of that good stuff you got overthere h90? :D

You mean the shrapnel holes from having sae Daeng's folks throw grenades at them?