Small Translation Of Some Changes In The New Rules

Well, the support of a Thai child could be a godsend for me if they no longer require one to be 50 years old. I'm 49.5 and juggling tourist visas right now :o

Simon

That is the biggie for me as I'm not even 40 yet !

Also the potential for the 3m investment visa making a comeback.

For retirement visa, it's now SPECIFIED that you need 800,000 baht in a local bank account for the FIRST YEAR. Some people were able to get a one year retirement visa abroad without showing money and the second year, for their extension, had to put 800,000 baht 3 months in advance. The rest seems to be as before.

That was one of the big perks for the O-A visa. Even LESS reason to bother with the extra hassle now.

Well, the support of a Thai child could be a godsend for me if they no longer require one to be 50 years old. I'm 49.5 and juggling tourist visas right now :o

Simon

That is the biggie for me as I'm not even 40 yet !

Also the potential for the 3m investment visa making a comeback.

Me too lets hope for the best.

Cheers, Rick.

I have to say that the change from 30 days to 15 days is worrisome and causes added burden to those relying on the border runs to stay. Of course, the 30 day thing probably really wasn't intended to be used as it is being used...as pointed out by other posters. If the 400,000 Baht in the bank for a foreign husband is now true....it is a welcome change from having to have a monthly flow of income as the only method for staying with your wife. This is good for people married and under 50 as well as for those married and over 50. I would much rather risk 400,000 in a Thai bank for a "marriage" visa as opposed to 800,000 for a retirement visa.

Regards

Martian

For retirement visa, it's now SPECIFIED that you need 800,000 baht in a local bank account for the FIRST YEAR. Some people were able to get a one year retirement visa abroad without showing money and the second year, for their extension, had to put 800,000 baht 3 months in advance. The rest seems to be as before.

That was one of the big perks for the O-A visa. Even LESS reason to bother with the extra hassle now.

Whilst I find the original information from Issan Lawyers to be a bit confusing, I am not sure how it marries up with your comment Jing.

To get an O-A (in Perth, at least) you do have to show money in the bank - the equivalent of TBH800,000. It doesn't have to be in a Thai bank. The second year of an O-A is not a retirement extension, and therefore there was (? is) still no need for money in a Thai bank.

It is after the end of the 2nd year, if you are seeking an extension (for retirement) that you need to show money in the Thai bank, pension, or combination.

Hopefully this has not changed, as I will be going back to Perth just prior to the end of my 2nd year, to obtain a further (ie new) non O-A.