Switching From Cat Hi-net Adsl

grrr

I have been using CAT HI NET as my ISP for the last 8 months or so through TT&T ADSL in Chiang Mai. It has never been reliable, and speeds have been all over the place, but lately it has become nearly unusable. For the last week my router has not been able to get an IP address after 5pm, which I assume is due to too many users. Yesterday I went to a TT&T office and got a price list of the various ISPs I can choose from. I am considering the following:

JI Net 256/128 1:10 1,550B

CS LOX 256/128 1:10 1,500B

ISSP 256/128 1:10 1,500B

CM NET 256/128 1:10 1,550B

True 256/128 ? 1,500B

Obviously these are all nearly the same. The 1:10 is user ratio. CAT Hi NET is 1:50, which accounts for why it sucks, and why it costs 999B. So I'm looking for opinions and advice on which ISP. CS LOX is the biggest company, partly owned by Taksin, so do they have the best network? I've read both positive and negative True stories in this forum. Thanks for any info, especially from Chiang Mai users.

I have been using CAT HI NET as my ISP for the last 8 months or so through TT&T ADSL in Chiang Mai. It has never been reliable, and speeds have been all over the place, but lately it has become nearly unusable. For the last week my router has not been able to get an IP address after 5pm, which I assume is due to too many users. Yesterday I went to a TT&T office and got a price list of the various ISPs I can choose from. I am considering the following:

JI Net      256/128      1:10      1,550B

CS LOX  256/128      1:10      1,500B

ISSP      256/128      1:10      1,500B

CM NET  256/128      1:10      1,550B

True      256/128      ?          1,500B

Obviously these are all nearly the same. The 1:10 is user ratio. CAT Hi NET is 1:50, which accounts for why it sucks, and why it costs 999B. So I'm looking for opinions and advice on which ISP. CS LOX is the biggest company, partly owned by Taksin, so do they have the best network? I've read both positive and negative True stories in this forum. Thanks for any info, especially from Chiang Mai users.

True speeds seems to vary from area to area. I'm on the lowest package, but i always get speeds of 200/90 and more. I have been getting dropped lines (3 times in a month), but True have been very quick to fix it, and their telephone operators speak good english.

Ji-net has serverd me perfectly well the last 4 months.

I'm using 256/128 compax at 1550 (+7%vat =1659 Baht)

I'm located in Jomtien...

I think you can only compare reliably with subscribers in the same area as you are, since quality seems to be very area dependent!

Well...I think ADSL is more expensive here in Chiang Mai. The price we pay for these spectacular chilly nights. The phone line in my house is from TT&T and prices for ADSL start at 999B (for crappy CAT Hi-Net) and go up from there, with no other options (that I know of).

Monty, I saw this today on the JI Net website: "DSL-Compax 256 limited data transfer for 5 GB per month, The surplus user may cause to reduce speed to 25 Kbps". This removed JI Net from my list of choices. Has this limit been a problem for you?

Edited by grrr

I've never come close to reaching that limit!

My connection before was iptv, where you got 750mb monthly, with an additional charge of 2.5 Baht/mb if you go over :D ...

So the upgrade to 5gb was enormous for me :D

A quick check on Ji-net's accounting page shows I used 1.59 Gb so far this month...

5Gb is around 1500 MP3 songs, or 7 full cd's, and would take around 70 hours to download in a best case/full speed scenario (it would take around 400 hours with a 56k modem :o )

You can always go for the 512/256 package (at 2450/month which gives you 10 gb/month)

Edited by monty