Avoid Large Deposits In Thailand

gk10002000

I strongly suggest you avoid making any sort of large deposit to gurantee anything, be it a hotel, a tour, or whatever. There are too many pitfalls. You are out of country and your recourse to resolve problems is very limited.

Companies that want big deposits are just floating money or playing the percentages knowing that some people won't show up, or will cancel improperly, etc.

I don't want to hear about the hotel losing money if they give the money back. They did nothing to earn the money. If the hotel is near full, and they turned away other reservations, than they should have little problem securing new bookngs. On the other hand, if the hotel is empty, well, than their "holding" your room for you is a non-event as they had plenty of rooms available in case other people had shown up.

Another point about deposits, assuming you do get it back the day you leave, what are you gong to do with 20,000 or 30,000 baht? You probably already lost a few percent on the money when you exchanged your Money into baht, and now, you will lose a few more percent if you change it back again.

I would certainly understand a company keeping some nominal amount for their efforts. They did incur costs by communicatin, faxing, booking etc. But keeping deposits is just crap. And offering similar things in the future is rarely any good for you because you and your friends or family may not be able to get here again.

Best advice is to avoid it as much as possible. High deposit places here, as in many countries are best avoided.

Hmmmmm Deposits, for long stay? of course you will pay them unless you want to stay in a cheap hotel and try and pay weekly at the standard rate. I have found a way to reduce the deposit in hand at the end of a lease ... but that isn't for everyone. I pay annually. I get a significant discount on the rent AND pay far less of a 'deposit' -- if you mean the amount that should be returned at the end of a lease. But I 'deposit' about 13 months of discounted rent up front. If I had to move etc I would expect an issue getting it back but that hasn't happened.

No place in your home country is going to let you move in for weeks/months at a time with no 'deposit'. Why would you expect it here?

BTW Baht IS money :o

The "if they are full" argument doesn't wash because things happen, like tsunamis, coups, occupied airports, sars etc!

The "If they are empty" doesn't wash because you made a promise/contract and they have the right to base their spending on that contract.

It is good advice to remember that things are often negotiable here, but it is not reasonable to expect not to pay deposits.

I don't understand your point. Who would put down a deposit of more than a the first nite or so of a stay (most hotels only require 1st nite). Even with long-term villa rentals, usually no more than a day or so is required for most of them. If someplace requires more, then keep looking.

O the flip side from a hotel or apt perspective is "oh here is another clown wanting to block out a room for a whole period, do we believe him? Not until he shows some money"

That is life I am afraid in Thailand.

And the rest of the world.

Hotels in London, Paris, New York etc. would do exactly the same.

And your deposit is rarely returned, it's credittd against the room charge so you pay less when you check out so losing on exchange rates is a none issue.

It may not be New York or London but the OP is implying that this is purely a Thailand 'scam' whereas it is normal business practice in most countries in the world.

Nor is he referring to paying the hotel in advance, just making a deposit in order to guarantee a reservation which again is standard business practice in the industry.

I don't understand your point. Who would put down a deposit of more than a the first nite or so of a stay (most hotels only require 1st nite). Even with long-term villa rentals, usually no more than a day or so is required for most of them. If someplace requires more, then keep looking.

I agree, in my experience I've only ever paid for the 1st night in advance as a deposit, which covers the hotel for that room for that night, then if you don't turn up they can re-let the room the next day!

Some of you lot want your cake an to eat it as well !

A lot of hotels offer cheaper rates to people who prepay. Look at Res24 which is the backbone of many sites like Sawadee.com. You want to book at this rate, then pay upfront. You want a room in a busy period, pay a fair deposit.

Even La Residencia in Mallorca asks most people for deposits. I once put down a million Pesetas on Amex, however not because I had to, but because I thought the pound would devalue against the Peseta and I made around 20% on it. I knew my bill would be well over a million anyway.

I used a credit card at the Sheraton in Bangkok for a deposit, then paid the bill in cash and of course the credit card was charged too.

btw

Tour operators warn against using credit cards for any purchases.

Another piece of evidence that TLand is an overhyped destination. Why do tourists come here?

First of all this is not New york, or London. In any case, I have never paid a hotel in advance. in the past I have always paid when I check out. If a hotel asks for money in advance, than I would not stay there.

Barry

Are you kidding? I have never known the Flipper Lodge, Eastiny Place, FLipper HOuse, Lek hotel, D Mansion, Diana Inn, etc. to not require paying in advance at check in. I don't mind that. The few times I left early had no problem gettting the money refunded.