Pla Gin Yung - Little Fish Eat Mozzies

Sorry for trivial post..

trying to selective breed the many hundreds of pla gin yung, or pla nok yung? not sure wht they are called.... the wee fellas with colourful tails that multiple endlessly...

Can anyone tell me if only the males/females have colourful tails? - half the population are big fat grey things.... and then there are colourful tailed ones... maybe a different species of course?

thanks

It may be that you have guppies (Poecilia reticulata) or bpla hang nok yung (I have that in Thai but can't type it out (yet!)).

There are many varieties and the male is smaller with a large colourful tail/fins while the female is larger and duller.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/guppy.htm

You'll have to Google to see if you can find your particular variety.

K.

Thank you very much!!!!

I had a sneaky suspicion something wasnt right, - as soon as i put the colourful new breeding group into its own water tank, they all started getting territorial and didnt seem all that happy about the fresh water!

The bigger fish - probably the female 'matrons' :o have a very small spot of colour on the tail, so i think they must be the same species, or at least able to interbreed.

still not sure if i have guppies or mosquito fish.... but i will stick the most sexy female i can find in the tank with the wee males and see what happens!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Edited by SomNamNah

LOL.

Put a sexy mama in the new tank.... the colourful males are all following her round ... and round... and round...

:o

hope the big blue tail gets his wicked way.

science at its highest level.

thanks again!

Edited by SomNamNah

• 2 weeks later...

I am a father!!!! got loads of tiny fish in the bowl with 15 males and one female!!

of course she could have been preggers anyway.

Be interesting (in a coffee break on the porch kinda way) to see if the fry have common traits, or a mix of colours.

I guess i should have kept a female in isolation to make sure she wasnt preggers first. oh well.