Sunderland Say "bye Bye Keano!"

Sunderland

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...and/7764671.stm

Keane and Sunderland part company

Roy Keane

Keane took charge of Sunderland in 2006

Roy Keane has left his position as manager of Sunderland, BBC Sport understands.

Sunderland have refused to comment on Keane's departure, who was due to give a news conference at 1300 GMT ahead of Saturday's game with Manchester United.

Sunderland are 18th in the Premier League and have lost five of their last six games.

The former Manchester United star took over at Sunderland in 2006 and led them to the Premier League in the 2006/07.

Their latest defeat came against Bolton on Saturday with the Black Cats losing 4-1.

More to follow.

LOL. sorry but that's hilarious. touted as the next big thing and famously cavalier, roy bottled it at sunderland. guess he's not the shoo-in to replace alex ferguson that many thought he was.

go get peter reid black cats, rescue him from his bangkok nightmare.

Peter Reid? No thanks. Been there, done that.

Roy Keane is the new Bobby Charlton when it comes to great players who couldn't crack it as a top manager. He had one good season, one mediocre season and this season has, beating the Mags aside, a huge disappointment. Really has been shown up by his strange team selections and dreadful decisions in the transfer market.

Not sure who will be given the job to try and keep us up. Wouldn't mind giving Phil Brown (local lad) at Hull a chance ... but that might mean being lumbered with Ginger Minge at right-back again.

I reckon you'll end up with Alardyce. He'll love to prove a point!!

A few have said that on the main Sunderland board. Not sure about him. Could work or could go the same way as he did up the road.

I thought you would have been out with the G-man tonight! Perhaps you can direct him home tomorrow morning ... :o

I reckon you'll end up with Alardyce. He'll love to prove a point!!

A few have said that on the main Sunderland board. Not sure about him. Could work or could go the same way as he did up the road.

I thought you would have been out with the G-man tonight! Perhaps you can direct him home tomorrow morning ... :D

Nah mate, working late, so will have to miss the G-man's birthday celebrations. I wonder if he will call you tomorrow morning to say he's going to be late for work :o

Sky News have just described his decision as "honourable". He had a playing career surrounded by the best, and now he's having to struggle and he's made a few mistakes he can't take it and just walks.

Sad decision.

thats twice he has walked when things didnt suit him.A clone of kevin keegan,another wannabee.

I had a Text along the same lines from a Pal earlier this evening..

He's spent an awful lot of monye the Fella, a lot of it on sh*t too unfortunately for Sunderland..

Massive Appointment coming up for them & if they get it wrong, i fear for them this year..

Wish stoke city had 80 million quid to spend over the last 2 years.keano has pised it up the wall.i had a long chat with a sunderland mate and he was justiying the fees and i said he has spent far too much money on players,even jones,he is not a top goal scorer and thats what he was bought for.

Exactly, he's spent/wasted a fortune, and is leaving somebody else to sort out the mess.

The fans didn't want him to go, but he is more interested in salvaging what he thinks is his reputation. The comments on this thread are fairly representative of what his reputation really is.

Should have the courage of his convictions to see the job through, and if necessary go down with the team he created.

What really gets me is that beard, what the <deleted> does he think he looks like?

He was good at getting his team to run hard, hence getting them promoted and avoiding relegation, but there didn't seem to be the extra dimension that would take them further. They are workhorses like he was.

The truth of the matter is the team stopped playing for him a while back. The word is he went way, way over the top after the poor peformance against Northampton in the league cup.

Only a few weeks ago it was thought it was a matter of time before he would transfer his determination and single mindedness to his team and the sky was going to be the limit. How long ago that seems.

Now he will be seen as a man who spent countless millions and ended up with a team who couldn't get away from the wrong end of the table. A world class player who simply couldn't hack it as a manager.

How the Mags and the Smoggies must be loving this. :o

What really gets me is that beard, what the <deleted> does he think he looks like?

I thought that....I think he only shaves after a Sunderland victory....you can tell by the beard how long ago that was :D

Don't tell him I said that...he's one scary mofo :o

I thought that....I think he only shaves after a Sunderland victory....you can tell by the beard how long ago that was :D

Don't tell him I said that...he's one scary mofo :o

Hate to disagree with you ThaiPauly but "scary", no not really, he is a runty mingebag. McCarthy should have twatted him good and proper, he is twice the size of the beard but a gentleman. Keane is just a nasty gobshite.

All Keane is looking for is a team full of quality at a well established club with massive finance available. Not much to ask for really is it.

Alreet Forum,

Sad day but time to move on, i was never sure he knew what he was during in tHE transfer market. Ferdinand/Diouf

$^%$%$@@!

Who do you think will get the job?

FTM

Keane's record in the transfer market has been nothing short of disastrous. Hardly anyone has been sold. Those that left mostly left on free transfers and we have 12 players out on loan! As for those he has brought in, read and weep about just a few of his poor signings.

Craig Gordon arrived for a record 9 million pounds and became Britain's most expensive goalkeeper. Oh dear! Sorry, just not good enough and not worth anywhere near 9 million pounds. Send him back to Scotland and ask for some football shirts and a few balls in exchange.

George McCartney left Sunderland 2 years ago in a deal worth 600,000 pounds and Clive Clarke (Oh God!) coming the other way from West Ham. Resigned McCartney for 4.5m and although he looked ok at West Ham, we seem to have a player now who is no better than he was last time we had him! Great business Keano!

Eight million pounds for Rio Ferdinand should be considered good business. Unfortunately, we paid that silly amount for his brother Anton! What the hel_l was Keane thinking? Must have been back on the beers again when he signed that one off.

The Spurs package deal which cost anything in the region of 12-20 million pounds was a strange one. Fortunately we didn't end up with Kaboul, who went to Pompey thank goodness, but we did get Chimbonda. Yes, he's not bad at going forward, unfortunately he's crap at defending, which is a shame when he's employed as a full back. Tainio is a very average midfielder who has struggled to get a regular starting place. The only saving grace for the whole deal has been getting Malbranque. One of Keane's few good signings.

Keano also paid a handsome 11 million pounds to acquire the services of Championship strikers Michael Chopra and the very highly over rated Kenwyne Jones. I actually have a little sympathy for Chopra, who isn't a bad finisher, but was often played out of position on the right side of midfield last season and so his return of 8 goals from 38 appearances is no worse than Jones' 8 goals in 36 appearances. Hardly a prolific strike force! Cisse may hit row Z three times before each goal but his record of 6 goals from 14 appearances is more what you expect from a Premier League striker.

Some of the other crap that Keane has aquired for his Premier League assault include:

Nick Colgan, Greg Halford, Paul McShane, Russell Anderson, El-Hadji Diouf, David Healy, Jean-Yves M'voto, David Meyler, Rade Prica, Arnau Riera, Carlos Edwards, Anthony Stokes and Roy O'Donovan. If you haven't heard of some of these, it's because they've been nowhere near the reserves, never mind the first team and they are all Championship level players at best.

Apart from assembling a huge pile of crap that will take the best part of 5 years or bankruptcy to shift, what else did Keane get wrong? Well, few people can understand why, but Dean Whitehead was made captain throughout most of Keane's time at the club. Not known for being a great motivator, Whitehead has often been a target for the boo boys and it has to be hoped that someone with sense will come in and find a new leader for the team.

Furthermore, Keane persisted in playing players out of position, dropped key players for the most minor of indiscretions and decided to give debuts to raw youth team players only when we played the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea.

He put Sunderland in the spotlight for the last two years. Sadly his own ego took precedence over what was best for the team and despite backing him for most of last season, I finally ran out of patience too. Clueless and time to go.

I will be very, very surprised if he ever gets anywhere near the Manchester United job now.

Next manager of Sunderland? Probably Sam Allardyce. Would prefer Phil Brown, but beggars can't be choosers.