Compress Pdf File

Lost in LOS

I have a 8.5 meg PDF file from my CT heart scan I want to send to my doctor friend in the states but it is too large to email. is there a simple way to compress a PDF file. the only two ways I can think of is the print it all out and scan it in pieces or to make a CD and sent it. these i will do it there are no simpler ways

thanks in advance

Jimmy

8.5 MB isn’t too bad? If you have the professional version of Acrobat you can compact your files by selecting:

File->Reduce File Size

If that's not an option you could compress it using a tool like Winzip or Winrar or the default file compression that ships with recent versions of Windows.

8.5 MB isn’t too bad? If you have the professional version of Acrobat you can compact your files by selecting:

File->Reduce File Size

If that's not an option you could compress it using a tool like Winzip or Winrar or the default file compression that ships with recent versions of Windows.

thanks for the help. couldn't find it on my xp so i downloaded trial version of win.zip. it only makes it 7.95 megs though instead of substantially smaller.

If there are a lot of images or large images they will already be compressed internally in the pdf file and further external compression will not gain more then a few percent. If it is mostly text then the compression can be significant. Look around for free pdf compression tools or if you have Adobe professional, as a member mentioned, you can optimize with it.

If there are a lot of images or large images they will already be compressed internally in the pdf file and further external compression will not gain more then a few percent. If it is mostly text then the compression can be significant. Look around for free pdf compression tools or if you have Adobe professional, as a member mentioned, you can optimize with it.

oh well, lots of pictures so i guess its the hard way

thanks

There are hundreds of sites on which you can upload the file and then you email a link to your friend who downloads it.

If you compress the file using Adobe File -> Reduce file size you will lose quality and it can be problematic for this kind of document.

PDF file don't compress, they are already compressed. In fact using WinZip can make then a tad bigger.

There is no simple solution.

You can extract the picture of the scan (select the picture and copy using right click on the mouse).

Paste it into some picture editing software (such as Coral photo paint, Photo shop).

Either resample it or 'save as' using jpeg and use higher compression.

But you will probably lose definition that might be needed by your friend if they want to enlarge the image to do any diagnostic work.

If you don't have any other software you can paste it into Paint (under accessories in the start menu) and save as a jpeg.

PDF file don't compress, they are already compressed. In fact using WinZip can make then a tad bigger.

There is no simple solution.

Of course there IS a simple solution... You can use winzip or winrar to create an uncompressed file AND split it in pieces of a comfortable size for your inefficient mail ISP... It will be put together at the receivers side without any loss...

You can also use a little split utility like: wsplit.exe which your partner should have also to reassemle the original file... you find this (in English) at siam.de under /software/wsplit.exe

Edited by Aachen

As I mentioned, a pdf file that is mainly text will compress further. An example, I have a 127kB text file and produced a pdf file and ended up with a 120kB pdf file. Ran it through 7zip and it reduced to 84kB.

Basically it is a simple matter of 'printing' the file to the virtual PDF printer *again*, but using a lower quality setting. You need some kind of PDF creation software, either the commercial version of Acrobat or one of the free alternatives (see the free software list pinned somewhere in the forum).

Then you just:

* Open the PDF and go to file => print.

* Select the virtual 'Adobe PDF' printer or your a free alternative.

* Click the 'properties' button to change the printer settings.

* Select 'standard' or 'smallest size' as the default quality setting ('eBook and 'screen' in older versions).

* Click ok. The PDF file will be remade/compressed at the quality setting you selected.

In Acrobat 7 and 8, the 'standard' quality setting will give you a document with pictures that look nice on screen and print out acceptably with a fairly small file size. But the 'smallest size' mangles the pictures pretty badly IMHO.