Answering Machines

ChiangMaiThai

Why do Thais not see the usefulness of an answering machine? In many, many countries, they are standard appliances. Around 800 baht will get you a decent one.

In the last two days in Chiang Mai, I have been to

IT City

Powerbuy

Siam TV

Denchai Trading

Niyom Panit

Central

Lotus

Panthip

Most of these places have never heard of an answering machine and have trouble grasping the concept. In all of Chiang Mai, there is one model available. It is 1980's style, using a regular size casette tape. It appears there are no other brands or models available.

Does anyone know where an answering machine (preferably digital) can be bought in Thailand (preferably Chiang Mai)?

And I'd be interested on any ideas as to why they simply aren't used here.

Maybe everyone has a mobile and uses voicemail?

Any idea if voicemail is availble on home lines from TT&T? Somehow I doubt it.

We have mobile phones in the US and Australia as well, but still we see value in spending $20 to make sure that anyone calling when we're not at home can leave a message. What if you only give out your home number to certain people or businesses?

Anyway, just seems very strange...

No clock radios, no answering machines and if you're home with a cold and want a humidifier, none of those either. Maybe we've hit on a business idea.

just holler on the handphone

it's beyond answering machines

grow up buddy

you will lose a bomb if you try to import annswering machines...

digital clock ?? radio clock ??

forget it as well

the jump is on internet phone / TV / and radio in mobiles

don't waste time importing stuff that's outdated already

soon robotic servants will become dirt cheap...

and include all the features above...

just holler on the handphone

it's beyond answering machines

grow up buddy

you will lose a bomb if you try to import annswering machines...

digital clock ?? radio clock ??

forget it as well

the jump is on internet phone / TV / and radio in mobiles

don't waste time importing stuff that's outdated already

soon robotic servants will become dirt cheap...

and include all the features above...

Grow up buddy?

Do anwering machines still sell in the US? End of story.

I remember back in the States in the early 70's I had an answering machine. But no one would use it. I'd come home and hear 5 messages that all were hangups .... no message.

Then in the mid 80's everyone had one and would leave a message on everyone else's.

So maybe LOS will come around at some point.

You can buy a digital one in the US for cheap, they run on DC so when you get to LOS buy a DC to 220 converter (instead of using the 110 one from the US). This is what I plan on doing next time I go back to the US.

My husband's family runs a small bungalow operation and the number of farang who call at 1am not thinking about the time zone differences is astounding. It is very hard to be polite to people who wake me up in the middle of the night. I am looking forward to a digital answering machine. :o

You can buy a digital one in the US for cheap, they run on DC so when you get to LOS buy a DC to 220 converter  (instead of using the 110 one from the US). This is what I plan on doing next time I go back to the US.

My husband's family runs a small bungalow operation and the number of farang who call at 1am not thinking about the time zone differences is astounding. It is very hard to be polite to people who wake me up in the middle of the night. I am looking forward to a digital answering machine.  :o

See, to all you non-believers, people still want answering machines.

sbk, until you get the machine, when you go to sleep at night set the phone to forward to your mobile which can be off with voice mail activated. When you wake up in the morning, de-activate the forwarding. Assuming you have TT&T, call them and tell them you want this option. Once they turn it on, look at their website for info about how to activate and de-activate. It can be done very quickly...