Australian Spouse Visa Fees...

Possibly putting together an application soon.

I have been hard at it reading up on all the requirements.

I found this statement on the DIAC web page ........"The Visa Application Charge must accompany your application and is generally not refunded if the application is unsuccessful."

Does anyone know under what circumstances the application fee may be refunded ???

Just wondering, as due to the non-payment of a family debt, we will be lucky to have $40K Aus when (if) we apply.

Thai Chi :o

Not sure about when the fee may be refunded, but if you can show that you can support your wife (ie sufficient income) and she has no medical problems and no criminal history it is not that hard to get the visa. Myself and quite a few others I know have done it. Ringing DIAC and asking questions seems to get you nowhere, at least that was my experience. If you have doubts as to wether you would qualify look at the requirements they tell you about, in our interview in BKK the interviwer mentioned that you need income above the threshold for getting a health care card, like they give to pensioners and low income earners.

If your situation is borderline it may be worth getting the help of a migration agent.

I found this statement on the DIAC web page ........"The Visa Application Charge must accompany your application and is generally not refunded if the application is unsuccessful."

Does anyone know under what circumstances the application fee may be refunded ???

Just wondering, as due to the non-payment of a family debt, we will be lucky to have $40K Aus when (if) we apply.

There are only limited circumstances where the visa application charge ("VAC") must be refunded and circumstances where it may be refunded (Migration Regulations 1994 - Reg 2.12F.

The DIAC must refund the VAC if the applicant dies before a decision is made on the application.

The DIAC may refund the VAC in the following circumstances:

· the application was made because of a mistake by the applicant; and

· the applicant withdraws the application in writing; and

· the person who paid the charge makes a written request for a refund.

Regards

bridge

Not sure about when the fee may be refunded, but if you can show that you can support your wife (ie sufficient income) and she has no medical problems and no criminal history it is not that hard to get the visa. Myself and quite a few others I know have done it. Ringing DIAC and asking questions seems to get you nowhere, at least that was my experience. If you have doubts as to wether you would qualify look at the requirements they tell you about, in our interview in BKK the interviwer mentioned that you need income above the threshold for getting a health care card, like they give to pensioners and low income earners.

Thanks garyh for that tidbit about income above the threshold for getting a health care card. If that is the case, we may be alright.

According to Centrelink the threshold (in our case) would be...... Single, or couple combined, one child $777 Weekly Income Gross.

However, you can still have a weekly income up to $971.25 Gross (I wish) and retain your health care card.

Which set of figures they use, I guess, is anyones guess.

:o

There are only limited circumstances where the visa application charge ("VAC") must be refunded and circumstances where it may be refunded (Migration Regulations 1994 - Reg 2.12F.

The DIAC must refund the VAC if the applicant dies before a decision is made on the application.

The DIAC may refund the VAC in the following circumstances:

· the application was made because of a mistake by the applicant; and

· the applicant withdraws the application in writing; and

· the person who paid the charge makes a written request for a refund.

Regards

bridge

Thanks Bridge for your clear and concise answer :D

Certainly clears up my question :D