Anybody Want To Help Build A Boat?

BillyBobThai

Well, I once had an ambition of building a boat and had eventually given up due to lack of materials.

However, you could build one if you live around south of Thailand where there are plenty of resources available.-I live in Chiangmai. :D

The first thing that let me down was getting marine ply-sheet which was impossible to locate around where I live- I could import, but the cost :o

Second, "epoxy"..etc, etc.

Well, I wish you the best.

J.C

ps: Where do you live?

I built a 17 foot daysailer in Chanthaburi a few years ago. Out of plywood and epoxy. You can use the high quality exterior ply they make in Thailand, its holds up great. It was about a 300 hour project. Earlier this year I did a 200 km solo sail from Chanthaburi around Koh Chang and back. Good time, camping on the beaches, sleeping in the boat, fishing, etc.

You can find most anything you need in Pattaya or Phuket boat-wise.

A very rewarding hobby and it keeps the boredom from setting in. Always keeps you out of the bars, which is a plus.

Here is a link to an earlier two-man sail that was cut short because of sunburn.

http://www.messing-about.com/forums/index.php?topic=6048.0

I'd be down for building a sailboat and sailing to Cape Town on it.

Keep in mind I have absolutely no knowledge about building boats.

I live in Pattaya and there many boat yards that build the boats that run around the bay. There is a naval archietec? in California,Glen-L Boats ,that sells plans for boats that are framed with hardwood lumber and covered with plywood. The boat is then encapsulated in epoxy inside and out as well as a coating of fiberglass on the outside with epoxy and graphite. They suggest that you use marine grade plywood, but, many of thier builders just use exterior grade plywood as the glue is waterproff.

The boat I am planning on building is a semi-displacement hull about 20 ft. x 8 ft..

This no speed demon, only 7-8 mph, but using a 10 hp diesel will sip about 1.5 liters of diesel an hour. My plan is to start after the start of next year.

I live in Pattaya and there many boat yards that build the boats that run around the bay. There is a naval archietec? in California,Glen-L Boats ,that sells plans for boats that are framed with hardwood lumber and covered with plywood. The boat is then encapsulated in epoxy inside and out as well as a coating of fiberglass on the outside with epoxy and graphite. They suggest that you use marine grade plywood, but, many of thier builders just use exterior grade plywood as the glue is waterproff.

The boat I am planning on building is a semi-displacement hull about 20 ft. x 8 ft..

This no speed demon, only 7-8 mph, but using a 10 hp diesel will sip about 1.5 liters of diesel an hour. My plan is to start after the start of next year.

That is the method I used for building, BBT. It has held up well, especially in saltwater where you don't get the rot that you get in fresh water a much. The exterior ply made out of the Dipterocarpus grandiflorus is very durable. About 1500 baht a sheet for 10mm a few years ago.

Stitch and Glue Method is good for beginners, as you don't have to deal with frames or ribs.

Loads of plans available on the internet. http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/ is a good start.

I may do a sail to Koh Samet later this month. Can't wait. :o

What kind of boat? A wooden sailing boat or a dough out canoe? I have been thinking about importing a yacht lately but with the import duty being so high, building your own one may be an option.

I thought boats were exempt (sp)?

What kind of boat? A wooden sailing boat or a dough out canoe? I have been thinking about importing a yacht lately but with the import duty being so high, building your own one may be an option.

there is no import duty on bosats, you pay vat on the value of the boat.

I imported; no duty, just VAT 7% plus the usual inspection charges etc....

Building yourself, not a bad plan.

If a yacht, then might like to consider a decent performance sort of a boat, the i550 is not a bad boat (can search on sailinganarchy for that) - Phil Bolger has a fair few ply fantastics.

However, bear in mind building from Ply you are creating something worth relatively little when finished.

I often have thought a nice sharpie would be ideal for Thailand; about 18 feet...could sail around the islands, trailer and use on a lake, then also use it as a motor boat as well.....

dead easy to build. Only modification I might make is to ballast it with a lifting keel with a bulb. All the flat surfaces require minimal finishing. Picture of a typical 18 foot sharpie shown.

Actually, I have quite a bit of involvement with boat building here in Thailand, happy to handle any PMs.

THe next alternative would be to build a performance sialing boat of similar size, however, it is cheaper to just buy rather than build.

post-19416-1228714649_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This is something that interests me as i love the idea of living on a yacht,even if it remains a dream.But what would be the ideal build yourself plans for a 2 berth,small as could be,liveaboard yacht,that would be the most cost effective,but also enable you to travel coastaly,& rugged enough?Or is it cheaper to buy here?

I have an engineering background so am familiar with fibreglass.Its probably never gonna happen,as far as liveaboard goes,but something i'm interest in.

I've noticed that alot of the small old fishing boats have a good rough coating of fibreglass on them?

I've had some small experience in boat building, plywood, steel ,fibreglass ,alloy, yachts, powerboats

comes down to what you what to do etc

just remember the old saying the price if the hull is 1/3 the finished price minimum

• 2 weeks later...

I found this forum looking for info about building a boat here in Thailand.

I have the full set of drawings for the Shpountz 38-40 wooden gaff-rigged shooner (see attached picture). I like the boat having crewed many years on one. But it is out of my reach financially for the material as well as for the estimated building time (about 10 to 12,000 manhours)

I started now to design a smaller and simpler junk-rigged sailboat of about 11 m overall length. The designing phase is still WIP (work in progress). Estimated building time: 3,000 to 4,000 manhours.

You can see the lines and some renderings.

I hope this can give some inspiration ...

post-75138-1232206537_thumb.jpg

post-75138-1232206661_thumb.jpg

post-75138-1232206719_thumb.jpg

post-75138-1232206889_thumb.jpg

post-75138-1232207047_thumb.jpg