Us Postage Stamps

cm das

Remember snail mail? I may soon have a need for a US postage stamp, however much is required for a regular letter these days. Anybody out there happen to have a spare I could buy, or know somewhere in Chiang Mai I could get one? Actually I thought I had some lying around myself but can't seem to find them.

I made a long term investment last year and purchased a sheet of first class stamps in the hope that by 2053 the cost of sending a letter will be $ 265.00 and my Grandchildren will be able to sell it on e-bay and pay for my funeral.

PM me and in the mean time I will ravage through my bundles of other usless cr*p and see if i can find one for you.

US postage stamps are sold at the post office in the American Consulate.

If you get one/them from someone else, make sure you put enough on the mailing to cover the current rate, or more, or it will either arrive postage due or returned for insufficient postage. Since American postage stamps do not work in Thailand, may I assume you are sending something for remailing once it reaches the US?

As far as I know, postage stamps do not increase in value except to collectors. If you find an old 13-cent stamp, it will not work to send a letter at the current rate of 42-cents.

If you are headed for the Consulate, have someone on here tell you when the mailroom is open - their hours/days are very limited indeed.

Dustoff

As far as I know, postage stamps do not increase in value except to collectors. If you find an old 13-cent stamp, it will not work to send a letter at the current rate of 42-cents.

A realtively recent introduction in the States is a series of postage stamps that are valid for sending a 1 ounce letter at any time in the future, esssentially meaning that they have a variable face value. For instance, if the rate to send a 1 ounce first class letter is 42 cents now, the stamp will cost you 42 cents if you purchase it now. If you save the stamp for 10 years and by then the rate to send a 1 ounce first class letter is 80 cents, you can still use that stamp that you originally purchased for 42 cents to send the letter.

Edited by OriginalPoster

If you are headed for the Consulate, have someone on here tell you when the mailroom is open - their hours/days are very limited indeed.

Dustoff

I'm not certain, and I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the mail room at the consulate was only open to "authorized" individuals holding specific credentials Dusty.

That just begs the question. What would you do with a U.S. postage stamp in Thailand?

I need to send a SASE to an agency in the states and I want the reply to go to my parents in NYC. When I last lived in the US, sending a letter first class cost 37 cents. I'm only looking for 1 current first class stamp (I guess that's 42 cents) to be used in the next 2 months.

Dustoff

I'm not certain, and I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the mail room at the consulate was only open to "authorized" individuals holding specific credentials Dusty.

Hmm, you are right, RC. An American passport or whatever other document would allow entry into the Consulate.

For some reason I assumed that someone requiring USPS stamps would be an American citizen. If not, I seem to remember that there used to be 'remailing' services that would affix US postage to the contents of a mailing for a price. This is very popular in the towns of Valentine Texas and Nebraska as 14 Feb grows near..

Edited by Dustoff