Cdma Expansion ?

Gary A

I got a USB cable with my 680 modem that has two plugs and one socket. The modem seems to work OK with a single plug so I'm not sure why they gave me the double plug cable. In any case, my desk top has plenty of USB ports so I am using the double plug cable. Has anyone had problems with single plug cables?

I will buy 1 tomorrow and will report back then.

I ditched my Tot IPSTAR and held off buying CDMA and have been using Edge in the meantime. but recent posts seem to indicate that the CDMA network is in fact not being ditched.

Gary - how far are from your nearest mast as i'm not sure where mine is. I will buy the arial just in case.

I can't answer that. I have no idea where the tower is located. If I were you, I'd try it first without the antenna. I have a full signal as indicated by the modem without an antenna.

I got a USB cable with my 680 modem that has two plugs and one socket. The modem seems to work OK with a single plug so I'm not sure why they gave me the double plug cable. In any case, my desk top has plenty of USB ports so I am using the double plug cable. Has anyone had problems with single plug cables?

The dual plugs only offer extra power for those USB ports that do not follow specs. If yours work with one, no problem. If you plug in both ends, no problem.

My desktop has 6 ports so no problem there. My laptop has only two ports so I was concerned about that.

Mac software is so-so, it seems to work OK but it put that big fat 3G connectivity symbol on my menu bar, which I don't appreciate very much. So far I didn't find a way to remove that menu bar item...

System Preferences>Network>Click on the connection>uncheck "Show modem status in menu bar" (lower centre, left of the 'Advanced...' button) if you are using Leopard.

Mac software is so-so, it seems to work OK but it put that big fat 3G connectivity symbol on my menu bar, which I don't appreciate very much. So far I didn't find a way to remove that menu bar item...

System Preferences>Network>Click on the connection>uncheck "Show modem status in menu bar" (lower centre, left of the 'Advanced...' button) if you are using Leopard.

Thanks but I meant the other menu bar item that appears - it's the "Franklin Modem Status" application, actually. I have made my peace with it now, it only appears when the modem is plugged in, disappears when the modem is unplugged, and shows the signal strength, which is cool. But there is no way to prevent it from popping up.

My desktop has 6 ports so no problem there. My laptop has only two ports so I was concerned about that.

I have tested the CCU-680 on the shittiest, weakest USB ports on the planet and it works, so no problems with power use on this one... courtesy of my notoriously underpowered MacBook Pro... :o

Just installed the CCU-680

I am glad I bought the arial as well cause I have no signal where I live without it.

I installed the arial and just pointed it in the rough direction of the cell site - which the man at the CAT office in Buriram had kindly told me -in English as well and here are the results - bear in mind this is early evening in Thailnand aqnd the worst time to conduct a speed test. I reckon I am 13kms away from the cell site

Last Result:

Download Speed: 1030 kbps (128.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 342 kbps (42.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 418 ms

18 December 2008 18:33:23