No More 30 Day Stamps At Mae Sai!

Drew Aitch

Sorry if this has been reported already, but I haven’t seen anything. Additionally, it probably doesn’t affect most participants in this forum, but I thought it worth mentioning anyway.

An American tourist told me a couple of days ago he went up to the border town of Mae Sai to get another 30 day stamp, but was only issued with 14 days. When he queered this, they said from now only those entering into Thailand by air, train or boat, will get the 30 day stamp on entry, and all foot passengers will get just the 14 days.

It doesn’t affect me personally, but thought it might be worth throwing out here for others, or for clarification from anyone else with more up to date info.

Cheers

Aitch

there's a thread on it in the visa forum here on TV, i was reading it the other day. i find not being able to do a mae sai run a huge inconvenience.

Why do you think you will miss Mae Sai?

Seems to me that you will get to go to Mae Sai twice as much! :o

there's a thread on it in the visa forum here on TV, i was reading it the other day. i find not being able to do a mae sai run a huge inconvenience.

Why do you think you will miss Mae Sai?

Seems to me that you will get to go to Mae Sai twice as much! :o

:D:D:D

I think you will find it applies to all land borders.

I was there yesterday w/ family.

Crossed over into "tikonmylip" and spent a couple o hours watching the freak show.

Upon my return, immigration, for some reason, met me out front of the entry point, with a broad smile on his face, took my little copy of my passport with all the little stamps on it and proceeded to hand me back my passport.

"Ah, lucky me" I thought, another year stamp on my OA mulitple visa...

The horror which struck me was noticed by all family members when we returned to our vehicle.

They had not stamped ANYTHING into the good book. They had just held onto it whilst I went on a out of country vacation.

Did I do something wrong?

Did I not utilize the correct entry/exit point?

<deleted>?

I must admit though..probably the nicest immigration folks I have dealt with in the Realm ( to use JB Goode's expression..all credits to the author )

It was somewhat busy, but only counted 5 "western" type people coming in and out whilst I sat at the duty free area sipping the "Champagne of canned beers..."Myanmar Lager" ( my Thai cousin thought it is and was total crap..)

post-46099-1228795470_thumb.jpg

Sorry if this has been reported already, but I haven’t seen anything. Additionally, it probably doesn’t affect most participants in this forum, but I thought it worth mentioning anyway.

An American tourist told me a couple of days ago he went up to the border town of Mae Sai to get another 30 day stamp, but was only issued with 14 days. When he queered this, they said from now only those entering into Thailand by air, train or boat, will get the 30 day stamp on entry, and all foot passengers will get just the 14 days.

It doesn’t affect me personally, but thought it might be worth throwing out here for others, or for clarification from anyone else with more up to date info.

Cheers

Aitch

If you have a Visa already such as a multiple entry tourist visa you will still get 30 days at the land borders. It's only if you don't have a visa that you will get 14 days. Correct?

If you give Thai Immigration a Copy of your Passport instead of your actual Passport this indicates to them that you would like to go into Burma with out disrupting your current Visa (No stamps). It is a way of unofficially leaving the country.

I was there yesterday w/ family.

Crossed over into "tikonmylip" and spent a couple o hours watching the freak show.

Upon my return, immigration, for some reason, met me out front of the entry point, with a broad smile on his face, took my little copy of my passport with all the little stamps on it and proceeded to hand me back my passport.

"Ah, lucky me" I thought, another year stamp on my OA mulitple visa...

The horror which struck me was noticed by all family members when we returned to our vehicle.

They had not stamped ANYTHING into the good book. They had just held onto it whilst I went on a out of country vacation.

Did I do something wrong?

Did I not utilize the correct entry/exit point?

<deleted>?

I must admit though..probably the nicest immigration folks I have dealt with in the Realm ( to use JB Goode's expression..all credits to the author )

It was somewhat busy, but only counted 5 "western" type people coming in and out whilst I sat at the duty free area sipping the "Champagne of canned beers..."Myanmar Lager" ( my Thai cousin thought it is and was total crap..)

It depends on the Type of Visa you have. If you re-enter on a Multi entry tourist visa you get 60 Days. A Multi entry B would get you a 90 Day stamp.

-

Cheers

Aitch

If you have a Visa already such as a multiple entry tourist visa you will still get 30 days at the land borders. It's only if you don't have a visa that you will get 14 days. Correct?

If you give Thai Immigration a Copy of your Passport instead of your actual Passport this indicates to them that you would like to go into Burma with out disrupting your current Visa (No stamps). It is a way of unofficially leaving the country.

I gave them both, actual passport and two (2 ) copies.

They gave me back one ( 1 ) copy attached with a Thai Immigration form requesting thie permission of the Myanmar Junta if I could hang out for awhile only within like 14 kilcks from the border for a period of that day only..

The Myanmar immigration folks took my copies and relieved me of 500 baht, stamped it a few times on each side, folded it in half, then handed it back to me and said to have a good time.

Upon return to the border, Myanmar immigration and customs hearded all of my family into a different area and told me in a nice way to continue on through. The fam said it was a customs inspection, and getting close to cross the last immigration check, the guy actually said to me in English.."Be cool ..fool".

Thai folks just took me copies back, reached into a cabinet and handed me back my passport.

That was it.

Yeah, "unoffical" departure...kinda sweet. But sure woulda loved another year stamp. :o

Observations and musings....on Tikonmylip, Myanmar ( before you go off on me, it just my observation, not a statement of any believes, religion and politics and or pickin' on other sweet cuddy creatures and of course, Unicorns. It is just an observation of one under medication for attempting to see on how much damage one can do to a Vespa in October.)

Onward,

Reminded me of a little Puerto Penasco, Mexico without any charm and or beach.

I was pursued by a....well, some sort of a creature I believed at one time was human, I think he was begging. Walked around on all fours kinda, looked like the thing in the movie "300"..freaky man, all distorted and hunched over..was kinda howling at me, not kidding, it was the thing children's nightmares are made of.

I saw things no man should see.

The endless vendors selling things under thier breath to me, things on video that you once found in your fathers bottom drawer...one woman ( I think )arab looking, kinda cute, kept winking at me, it was as if I were in some sort of distorted circus. It all was spinning.

I needed a cold one...I needed a pain pill, my ribs and leg were hurting...

and it was chilly there to.