Rental House Sans Agent

FarangFatal

How can one go about finding a rental house without an agent. The get way too much money, equal to the addtional charges of Cable/Power Water etc. Sometines they over charge you for such services... I don't get ripped off and will no get ripped off by some slackie agent in P-Town.. suggestions please!

Farang Fatal - they only way I have ever done it here is to travel around the neighbourhood where I wanted to live and

1. Look for rental signs on houses and call them immediately

2. If I see a westerner in the area ask them if they know of anything

Never used an agent in 14 years of being in Pattaya

Hope you find what you wANT

Yep, the only way.

Drive around and look for signs.

Let somebody to write "for rent" in Thai script, a lot of thai owners have a sign up only in Thai... Then you can compare the writing with your little cheat paper :o

In general agents take 1 month rent as commission on a 1 year or more contract...Which is acceptable. It turns bad when they start to take extra's on utilities though.

How can one go about finding a rental house without an agent. The get way too much money, equal to the addtional charges of Cable/Power Water etc. Sometines they over charge you for such services... I don't get ripped off and will no get ripped off by some slackie agent in P-Town.. suggestions please!

Your objection doesn't make any sense as it is the owner of the property who pays commission to the agent. As for additional services, the bills should be delivered to the property by the utility companies. Simply pay them at 7-11 yourself and there is no way you can be ripped off.

Your objection doesn't make any sense as it is the owner of the property who pays commission to the agent. As for additional services, the bills should be delivered to the property by the utility companies. Simply pay them at 7-11 yourself and there is no way you can be ripped off.

Correct!

If someone is looking for a semi-detached bungalow in a rather quiet dead-end Soi in Aekmongkol III village; fully furnished, ready to move in, 2 bed/ 2 bath/ Thai kitchen, small garden area, car port, only THB 15,000/month.

PM me

Sure the agent gets the money from the landlord but the landlord puts the rentl price up to cover this. Not rocket science to work that out.

farangpattaya

Good look getting anywhere near your 15k asking price in Eakmongkol 3 for a semi.

That may happen sometimes, but long experience tells me it doesn't usually happen that way. Landlords generally have only one price. To have two prices, one for direct deals and one for deals via agents, would be unfair to agents who would then generally be unwilling to advertise such a property. Most landlords know this and so play fair with agents. The logic may not be rocket science, but it is a little more complex than your rather basic assumption.

The problem comes TJG, when the estate agents are asking more from propsective renters than the owner is looking for.

Yes, there is no doubt that there are some agents who do this, but certainly not all. The key is to make sure that you, as the prospective tenant, make sure you speak in person to the owner prior to signing anything. You can then check the price and everything else you have been told. The same applies when you are buying a place. If the agent is honest and has nothing to hide, he or she will have no problem with arranging such contact. If they try to avoid it, it is a sign that all is not right.

A good agent is a great tool in finding the kind of place you are looking for. A bad agent needs to be avoided at all costs. Its really as simple as that.

Sure the agent gets the money from the landlord but the landlord puts the rentl price up to cover this. Not rocket science to work that out.

farangpattaya

Good look getting anywhere near your 15k asking price in Eakmongkol 3 for a semi.

That may happen sometimes, but long experience tells me it doesn't usually happen that way. Landlords generally have only one price. To have two prices, one for direct deals and one for deals via agents, would be unfair to agents who would then generally be unwilling to advertise such a property. Most landlords know this and so play fair with agents. The logic may not be rocket science, but it is a little more complex than your rather basic assumption.

Another thing that is not rocket science is the simple fact that if I was dealing direct with the owner I would pay less, simply because he knows and I know that he is not going to have to pay an agent. I would also not give him 2 months deposit either, stating the very same point that he would normally use one to pay for the agent and would himself only be holding one month's deposit as surety against damages.

My experience tells me that everything is negotiable. I've had agents refuse to put forward an offer to a landlord where I've stipulated different conditions. Agents often think it is their property, a few (and there are only a few around) do use initiative.

farangpattaya

Another thing that is not rocket science is the simple fact that if I was dealing direct with the owner I would pay less, simply because he knows and I know that he is not going to have to pay an agent. I would also not give him 2 months deposit either, stating the very same point that he would normally use one to pay for the agent and would himself only be holding one month's deposit as surety against damages.

My experience tells me that everything is negotiable. I've had agents refuse to put forward an offer to a landlord where I've stipulated different conditions. Agents often think it is their property, a few (and there are only a few around) do use initiative.

hmmmmmmm.......i may use 1 month to pay the agent but i still have to give 2 back at end of contract!!!

i rent out houses and condos and dont deal with agents unless desperate...real desperate,but i still take 2 months deposit and wouldnt take 1 as if they steal and/or damage my furniture tv etc then i would lose out, also if only 1 month deposit then theres a good chance they will give some great excuse to pay late and then not pay rent and electric and they do a runner.i would lose out.Happens more often than it should im afraid.Remember this is pattaya,theres a few unscrupulous people around,its not like you can get a reference from them or even do anything about it when they steal or do a runner owing rent.......should i go to the police :o:D:D

Everything is negotiable for sure and i always give a good price for a long term renter,but that 1 month deposit..no way,how do i know they really will be a long term renter if only prepared to give 1 month deposit.

As to op i would also say first look carrefour,friendship,internet forums and also get recommendations of locations/villages and drive around.

Off topic slightly, but, i went with friends 2 years ago that were looking to buy and agent took us to look at a house for 4.9mill, whilst they were looking around i wrote down the number on a board outside the house 2 doors away, after calling and veiwing they purchased it for over a mill less than the one listed by the agent, they were told the owner was not negotiable, this may be the case,however he didnt even call to try ,they still live in the house and the one they veiwed first ( which was identical ) is still for sale,.i dont really have a problem with giving a commision but if agents are inflating real values to keep commision up i will buy/rent off owner where possible,.

The easiest way is to look at the notice boards in the nearest big or farang-oriented shops in the area where you want to live. Try Carrefour, Tops, Foodland, Foodmart, Friendship, for example. Use that as an easy starting point, and then wander around the areas of interest and see what is available but not advertised on the notice boards. Owners also often advertise in Pattaya Today and Pattaya Mail, so it's worth browsing their property sections (if you can get past the ridiculous adverts for 100,000 Baht/month houses and condos :o ).

Be certain to check the electricity price you will have to pay. Some owners offer cheap rental prices but try to make up their profit by charging 7 Baht/unit. The official price is a bit over 3 Baht/unit.

Finally, there is a downside to renting off the owner in that he/she will hold the 2 months security deposit instead of the agent. In the case of Thai owners, I have met several people who have had quite a lot of problems getting their deposit back at the end of the lease. One guy in Bangkok simply gave up on it in the end and walked away, losing his deposit completely after montsh of arguments. At least using a reputable agent you won't have that problem.

The easiest way is to look at the notice boards in the nearest big or farang-oriented shops in the area where you want to live. Try Carrefour, Tops, Foodland, Foodmart, Friendship, for example. Use that as an easy starting point, and then wander around the areas of interest and see what is available but not advertised on the notice boards. Owners also often advertise in Pattaya Today and Pattaya Mail, so it's worth browsing their property sections (if you can get past the ridiculous adverts for 100,000 Baht/month houses and condos :o ).

Be certain to check the electricity price you will have to pay. Some owners offer cheap rental prices but try to make up their profit by charging 7 Baht/unit. The official price is a bit over 3 Baht/unit.

Finally, there is a downside to renting off the owner in that he/she will hold the 2 months security deposit instead of the agent. In the case of Thai owners, I have met several people who have had quite a lot of problems getting their deposit back at the end of the lease. One guy in Bangkok simply gave up on it in the end and walked away, losing his deposit completely after montsh of arguments. At least using a reputable agent you won't have that problem.

i dont think tops and any foodmarts have a noticeboard!!

i never would make money on electric /water but i have condos rented and the electric/water is charged at more than the government price.i think its terrible ,they charge double sometimes more,but its not something i can control.T.I.T.

i agree a thai landlord is hesitant to give back the deposit,as with most thais once they got the money it breaks there heart to have to give it back...they dont think of it as a returnable deposit......maybe they think of it same as keymoney :D:D

Correct!

If someone is looking for a semi-detached bungalow in a rather quiet dead-end Soi in Aekmongkol III village; fully furnished, ready to move in, 2 bed/ 2 bath/ Thai kitchen, small garden area, car port, only THB 15,000/month.

PM me

bloody hel_l thats expensive.

Oh! :o So what's that big board to the right of the entrance as you go into Foodmart, the one with all the adverts for cars, houses and condos stuck on it? Thai modern art? :D

I haven't been to Tops in a while, but I'm sure they used to have a free notice board for customers.

Oh! :o So what's that big board to the right of the entrance as you go into Foodmart, the one with all the adverts for cars, houses and condos stuck on it? Thai modern art? :D

I haven't been to Tops in a while, but I'm sure they used to have a free notice board for customers.

You mean foodland? yes? , Foodmart in Jomtien does have a notice board too (but never much ad's on it) - to the right and left of the entrance door but not nearly used so much as the Foodland one.

Edited by LennyW

oh i do apologise....i thought foodmart was a chain of small supermarkets but now you mention it i forgot about the biggish shop on way to jomtien.......not a place i normally think of looking or advertising but worth a shot i suppose. i cant ever remember one at tops but if there is one then i would like to know as might be worth my while,thanks.

oh i do apologise....i thought foodmart was a chain of small supermarkets but now you mention it i forgot about the biggish shop on way to jomtien.......not a place i normally think of looking or advertising but worth a shot i suppose. i cant ever remember one at tops but if there is one then i would like to know as might be worth my while,thanks.

Sorry, I reread your post, and realise now that you were probably referring to a chain of Family Marts or whatever. :D

I guess that Foodmart in Jomtien is a fair place to start if the OP is interested in living in that area. It comes to mind easily as I live close by myself. They do have adverts for places way down in Na Jomtien and Bang Saray, as well as sometimes for East Pattaya. It's nothing like as big a notice board as the one outside Big Friendship on Pattaya Tai, though (~100 metres east of TukCom, in case the OP doesn't know where it is).

Of course, if the OP doesn't see anything suitable, I don't think there's anything to stop him from putting up his own adverts specifying what he wants. (Same for small ads in the local rags, which are free.) He may strike lucky, but it will take time and patience.

Some thai owners don' give back the two monts deposit whent rent house. What can do to get it when there is no dammages and all utiities bills payed. Is not pay the two last months good solution ? in my case I know lady owner spend all the money so i think she cannot give back, but she want I pay to the last month of the year.

Some thai owners don' give back the two monts deposit whent rent house. What can do to get it when there is no dammages and all utiities bills payed. Is not pay the two last months good solution ? in my case I know lady owner spend all the money so i think she cannot give back, but she want I pay to the last month of the year.

this is the problem as it would cost you more usually to sue them and also take a long time.....maybe you should take the tv,furniture etc if she dont give the deposit back at the end. if you know for sure she hasnt got the money then i suppose dont pay the last 2 months but she can then cause you problems....she could probably pay the police a little and they would get you kicked out!!!!

no easy solution im afraid.....maybe other forum members should be aware of this when they rent from a thai,im pretty sure most farangs who rent out dont pull the same stunt or the good agencies should be ok.