Rental Classified Ads

Looking to rent direct!

Clever man you are.

Those renting direct over the Ineternet know that turkeys with no idea would try to rent that way and the prices are adjusted accordingly - about 20% more than regular agency rental.

Chances are, it will land you into an unprotected position that may cost you witheld deposit, with some luck even beating if you insist on your rights.

Another direct rental is rolling in the streets. Well, on the poles. Those advertyising that way are tight asses that want to avoid paying 1 month rent fee to an agency. The prices are what agencies charge, not lower.

Again, no contract, although I believe less (still huge) chance you will be screwed at the end of rental period.

post-7277-1228802950_thumb.jpg

post-7277-1228803040_thumb.jpg

I've rented directly without problems but you have to know what you are doing. Usually the owner is advertising direct as well as employing an agent. He would prefer a direct let but has no more exposure than a home made sign on his gate.

Agents often want 2 months deposit plus a month advance rental as they take one month's rent as their commission. The problem you can end up with is that at the end of the contract, you want back 2 months rent but the landlord not only has never received your two months rent (only 1 month) but he does not even have that and is actually waiting for someone else to move in and give him their deposit before you get yours back.

Show me an agent here who holds deposits in a protected corporate account (like escrow) ? I don't know one.

google "holiday rent house" and the town/region you are interested - something reasonable would come up.

deposit at my places is $100 - whether weekly or monthly rental. I withholded it only once, when keys were not returned and I had to change all the security locks

Agree with Think too mut. This is one of those urban myths thinking buying direct in cheaper.

Think it through, if a house normally rents for 15k through an agent, then if the owner rents direct, what he is going to lower the price? :o Why would he do that, he might as well give it to the agent and save himself the advertising money. He charges the same because he wants the agent fee in his pocket, not to save you anything.

Explore all avenues.

agents are not interested in keeping on their books cheaper houses/appartments, because there is a smaller profit for them for the same work, as renting larger, more expensive properties.

it's easier to deal directly with the owner, rather than with the agency, about discounts for longer stay etc

I had once a problem with a rental. I decided to leave early as they did not keep the services up. They had no problem with me leaving and the deposit, but insisted on full rent. I informed them that I cant stay as their precisely specified services were not existent and I was depending on them, most notably the wireless.

The answer was : "We cannot do this." So no return of my already paid rent and the sum until the earliest cancellation date.

I replied: "Very well. I will scan the contract, the receipts etc. put them on the web. Then get a Thai friend to help me filing a complaint. Not that I have much hope in it but it helps to have things registered and stamped. The few hundred baht expense are worthwhile. This will be also scanned. The whole file goes on the web and on the very same website where I found you, together with my cell phone number."

I had my money after 2 calls and within 15 minutes in cash. They just opened the safe and apologized and smiled. All had been a big misunderstanding. Happy to see me go and never come back. Using internet boards is not bad, it also gives you a powerful tool to fight back. I ALWAYS got my money back from Thai landlords.

Never paid a cent to an agent.

As for threats: Never got any. People know I have Thai friends and that keeps the openings for easy solutions limited. I think some dear agents try to scare off people.

Some of my ex landlords are still friends and I m in touch with them. Great guys, we had good dinners and even trips to the countryside. Fine people. Decent people usually get along with decent people and no intermediary is needed. All problems were always politely and respectfully solved. I sometimes drop by the office with fresh fruits and chocolates and pick up stray mail.

i try to rent my places direct as easier than going thru a middleman(agency) who do very little to help you rent.....especially at the budget end of the rental market. also you can negotiate easier,the last house i rented he got me down to lower than i really wanted to rent at and was in the same day.easy...he was happy,i wasnt ecstatic but better its rented at lower than wait 3 to 4 months for slightly more!!